Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM

4 posts, read 8,877 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (late 30's) are considering moving to the Jacksonville area as I have a job offer. Over 12 years ago, I lived on Oak Island and really liked that area (Southport, Long Beach), so we would be interested in "similar" towns near Jacksonville.

No kids, no dog, just the two of us and we have spent most of the last 6 years overseas. We would like to buy a small apartment/condo either on the beach or in a downtown area within walking distance to restaurants etc...Definitely not interested in a large home/land. I really like downtown Wilmington, however not sure I want to make that commute daily to Camp Legeune.

Thanks for any feedback, especially anyone recently making this type of move in addition to the many threads on the topic from a few years ago that I have found on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,916,632 times
This is the most recent that I can think of off-hand.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ille-move.html

Do you know exactly where you are going to be working at on Lejeune? That is a big base. Bigger than the city outside the gate. It starts at Hubert and ends at Sneads Ferry. If you are going to working at a place like Stone Bay, that'll be quite the trek from Swansboro. That said, the part of Swansboro closest to Carteret county is quite nice and classic seaside townish. The rest of it is not bad, but typical. I don't know specifically about any condo's or apartments in that area. In general those aren't typical in Eastern NC except for section 8, military, and retirees. The latter two are often priced higher than homes due to the relative higher disposable income of the groups they cater too. I know someone who pays for almost 1300 for an apt (granted utilities are included) where a 3 bed room house can be rented for ~$800. Still more and more townhouses and apartmetns have been going up, but they still seemed to be priced higher than comparable single family homes a lot of times. All of that may be much less of an issue for you if you're buying, as someone else stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMacon48 View Post
Thanks for your service to our country. Be warned, the greater Jacksonville area rental market is expensive with no end in sight; it is probably one of the few places left in the country where it actually makes more sense to buy a brand-new house (not a used up worn out previously owned overpriced piece of junk). I'm not a realtor or builder; but, there are many nice brand new subdivisions under construction in this area. Since you say you are retired military and making a career move then it probably isn't very likely that the gov't is buying your GA house. I was in a similar situation a decade ago. We had to rent our old house out at about a $300 per month loss until the market turned around in VA. On the brighter side, we found very good renters and were able to find cheap rent in the Maysville/New Bern area at the time. Perhaps things will work out for you too! Regards.
There are several realtors that serve that area of Onslow and the adjacent Carteret County area that will no doubt post soon with a more informed opinion.

If you liked Wilmington, depending on where on the base you work, you might want to look into Hampstead. It's only ~30 minutes from Hampstead to the back gate.
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

And another 30 minutes from Hampstead to Wilmington.

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,761,931 times
I have lived on Oak Island, 94-97, and now live in New Bern.

Swansboro would be a great place for you. You will be amazed at how much better the ocean water is up here than at Oak Island. The Cape Fear really messes up that water. It is CLEAR and beautiful up here.

I think Jacksonville gets a lot of bad press, most not deserved. It has lots of retail if you are a comsumerist.

I was a bit concerned about my two daughters, at the time 18 and 20 going to the beach with a bunch of marines, but they have been flirted with but never ever bothered.

If you don't want to live near where our military lives, then you should get the hell out of dodge, since those are the folks laying it on the line for you. I have never had anything but excellent experiences with young marines, whether it be at the beach, fishing, in stores or in restaurants.

I think you will really like Swansboro, and I know you will absolutely love the ocean up here.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 8,877 times
Thank you for the replies..I will definitely be doing more research on Swansboro..We will have plenty of time in a hotel or temp apt. so that we get a good look around and feel for each area, however Swansboro sounds like what we are thinking.....As far as Condo vs. home, not locked in and will definitely be looking at smaller homes or those along the river area.

Thanks again for the replies and the links.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,960,266 times
If you need a realtor let me know and I'll DM you my sister-in-law's contact info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina