Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 PM

3 posts, read 28,628 times

Advertisements

Homeowners, help me out here.

We'll be moving this summer back to the Swansboro/Emerald Isle area and this time around will purchase a home. My initial online attempt to get quotes for homeowners insurance got a lot of "please call us". This says to me they either don't write policies here or it's very expensive and they need to refer me to an actual human.

Before I call these companies, what's the situation here? What can I expect to pay to insure relatively new construction 4 bd homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM

196 posts, read 576,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge610 View Post
Homeowners, help me out here.

We'll be moving this summer back to the Swansboro/Emerald Isle area and this time around will purchase a home. My initial online attempt to get quotes for homeowners insurance got a lot of "please call us". This says to me they either don't write policies here or it's very expensive and they need to refer me to an actual human.

Before I call these companies, what's the situation here? What can I expect to pay to insure relatively new construction 4 bd homes?
They probably can't give you a quote unless you give them an exact address. The flood insurance varies considerably based on which zone a house is in, CAMA rules, etc.

For example the flood insurance on our second row house on Topsail Beach is only about $200 per year, but one about a block up the road that we bid on (also second row) was about $2000 per year.

I'm going to guess the same applies at all of the coastal areas. You can go to the NC Flood Plain Mapping System to get a very rough idea at FMIS: North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Information System

I believe our entire insurance cost for flood, wind/hail, and property is in the $2000 per year range. If you go to the link above and find the exact property location (the address function is sometimes a bit off) you can see the 100 year flood plain with velocity zones, flooding zones, etc. Add to that some of the CAMA rules that make some properties ineligible for federal flood insurance, and it becomes even more complicated. The agent that we used needed to come out to the property, measure the height of the first floor from the ground, etc. etc. It is very much a lot by lot situation.

Last edited by wrestlingterp; 03-05-2012 at 08:03 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 07:57 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge610 View Post
What can I expect to pay to insure relatively new construction 4 bd homes?
As WrestlingTerp says, it depends highly on exactly where the house is. In Sneads Ferry, a couple of miles from the ocean we pay $2400 on a 4 bedroom new house with replacement value $325,000. About $800 is conventional insurance, and the other $1600 is wind and hail.

Allstate and State Farm gave us much higher quotes. We went to a local broker who sold us Universal Property and Casualty Insurance. I think the better way to go is to contact a local broker from the phone book, rather than these online sites.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-05-2012 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina