Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 PM

286 posts, read 652,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
The poster who asked was talking about I-74, not US 74.
I was actually talking about both. The "future I-74 corridor" signs I saw were along US74. Columbus County area.

It's been many years since I was in that area of the state. I believe this was 2001-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 07:10 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
Isn't this already in the works? Years ago I drove 74 from Wilmington to Laurinburg and there were "Future I-74 Corridor" signs up all along the way.
The route that I-74 will take east of Whiteville is still up for debate. SC wants it to go towards Myrtle Beach but some in NC want it to go to Wilmington. Then some also want I-20 to be extended from Florence, SC to Wilmington. SC might not get what they want unless they offer to help pay for it since it's extremely costly to build an interstate through the swampy areas south of Whiteville towards Myrtle Beach.

For US 74 between Charlotte and Monroe they have the 'Monroe Connector' interstate-quality freeway being built. Between Monroe and Rockingham, there aren't any freeway plans yet but I think NC will eventually have this whole route a freeway from Asheville to Wilmington.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:55 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I know, I meant the two metros would be Raleigh and Norfolk. But Greenville would benefit immensely by being apart of this highway, as opposed to the spur we have now. But also, you're all thinking in the now. IF this project occurs, it probably won't be for 20-30 years. Looking at the history, Greenville would definitely need interstate access, via this change in the route, by then.
Oh ok; if Greenville or even Pitt County gets a interstate running through it, it would be excellent. But I still would want Greenville to focus on attracting industry before this highway is built (hypothetically speaking). If a spur of I-40 would be built from Greenville to Wilmington it would be genius in my eyes but first all East Carolina cities would have to learn to cooperate in the same manor the Triangle has instead of trying to be sole metro and micropolitans. Incorporate Kinston and Washington into the Greenville metro area.

The route could go through:
Greenville (I would suggest starting it where the South West bypass would be built)
Ayden
Kinston
Jacksonville
Wilmington (end at the intersection of I-40, I-140)

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 PM

286 posts, read 652,988 times
NC is working on getting 4 lanes from Greenville to Wilmington. All that is left right now is Pink Hill to Kenansville.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
I was actually talking about both. The "future I-74 corridor" signs I saw were along US74. Columbus County area.

It's been many years since I was in that area of the state. I believe this was 2001-ish.
My bad. Anyway US 74 and I-74 run concurrent for a bit but the planned I-74 curves northward west of I-95 toward Asheboro.

Still, of all the places that should be an interstate grade road- US 70, 264, a direct route from Raleigh to Charlotte, and yet I-74 is what's getting built.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 02-29-2012 at 08:54 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 37,631 times
Default New interstate from Raleigh to Wilimington, De or Philadelphia

I saw a plan for a new interstate from Raleigh, NC to Norfolk,VA. I am studying civil engineering and I am interested in new and convenient interstate routes, I saw a golden possibility that an interstate highway can be constructed from Raleigh,NC to Wilmington,DE or maybe even to Philadelphia,PA. The Interstate would connect Raleigh to Elizabeth City, NC. Elizabeth City to Norfolk,VA. Norfolk to Salisbury,Md. Then from Salisbury to the current toll way in Dover that goes to Wilmington,DE.

When entering Norfolk, the new interstate could take the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel from Norfolk to the Virginia Peninsula since it is already upgraded to interstate standards. Then it would go through the Virginia Peninsula which would be a great oppurtunity to bring more tourism and business from Virgina mainland to the Virginia Peninsula ( the area of Virginia not connected to the mainland Virginia). The interstate would run against highway 13 and continue up to Salisbury,MD. This would give Salisbury pop. 27833 access to a major interstate. Then the interstate would connect Salisbury to Dover as it continues to run along highway 13 and then connects to the current tollway that connects Dover to Wilmington.

Some plans want to name this interstate 44 or interstate 101 (the interstate portion planned to connect Raleigh to Norfolk). However, 44 is already taken in a different part of the country and 101 is three digits which is mainly for bypasses and his interstate needs a name not taken already with a couple of digits.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:55 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Unfortunately, with the current NC Senators being laughingstock lightweights, not much should be expected, money-wise in the near to mid term. Like it or not, highways, like most of everything else, are money grabs. And our senators, intellectually and politically, have mitts on their hands.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:08 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times
A bipartisan bill introduced Thursday in the U.S. Senate would designate the entire highway corridor from Raleigh to Norfolk, Virginia, as a future interstate.

U.S. bill calls for interstate between Raleigh and Norfolk, Va. - Triangle Business Journal

Old 07-25-2016, 07:58 AM

110 posts, read 124,417 times
Unhappy Charlotte, Fayetteville, Wilmington 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
What would be the point? US 17 and 13 are already part of STRAHNET, and there's not enough direct traffic coming from either city. There's no way anyone's building an interstate grade bridge over the Chowan river any time soon either.

There's a much better case to be made for a direct limited access highway linking Charlotte and Wilmington.
I agree. I never understood why 74 wasn't extended to interstate status. Fayetteville is the Biggest city in the region and it is entirely cut off from Charlotte. I don't understand that. Wilmington makes since as well. Somehow this new interstate could connect to HWY 87, which goes in the heart of Fayetteville. I just don't understand why this wasn't done a long time ago. NO ONE LIKES 401. It is a single road in certain places.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:08 AM

110 posts, read 124,417 times
Default Expand Rail Service In the Region

I really don't think there is a problem taking 58. It is a two lane highway with very few lights. This is much better than 401, which is a single road in certain places. But this is the only way to get to 74 to Charlotte. Traffic can be a nightmare in certain sections of this hwy and YES they are LIGHTS. So if they want to build a BILLION dollar hwy, at least consider 74. But we are dealing with politicians here.

Another options would be to extend the Norfolk branch of Amtrak to Wilmington and along the East Coast. Create Region Rail in North Carolina that would connect Wilmington with Fayetteville, Charlotte, Asheville, Nashville and Memphis East. But that would just be too convenient for people. This would solve the rail problem in Tennessee and make traveling easier heading west.

Last edited by qolspony; 07-25-2016 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina