Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 08:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qolspony View Post
I agree. I never understood why 74 wasn't extended to interstate status. Fayetteville is the Biggest city in the region and it is entirely cut off from Charlotte. I don't understand that. Wilmington makes since as well. Somehow this new interstate could connect to HWY 87, which goes in the heart of Fayetteville. I just don't understand why this wasn't done a long time ago. NO ONE LIKES 401. It is a single road in certain places.
If it was possible, a controlled access freeway should have connected the All American Freeway with North Carolina Highway 87. That could have given Fayetteville an interstate highway spur (i.e. 195, 395, 595, 995). Interstate 295 should eliminate any ideas in a circular navigable route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 08:18 AM

110 posts, read 124,431 times
Unhappy Fayetteville HWY 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
The route that I-74 will take east of Whiteville is still up for debate. SC wants it to go towards Myrtle Beach but some in NC want it to go to Wilmington. Then some also want I-20 to be extended from Florence, SC to Wilmington. SC might not get what they want unless they offer to help pay for it since it's extremely costly to build an interstate through the swampy areas south of Whiteville towards Myrtle Beach.

For US 74 between Charlotte and Monroe they have the 'Monroe Connector' interstate-quality freeway being built. Between Monroe and Rockingham, there aren't any freeway plans yet but I think NC will eventually have this whole route a freeway from Asheville to Wilmington.
This sounds good. But I hope they can hook into HWY87 so Fayetevillians don't have to suffer 401.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:22 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,362,327 times
Its my understanding the name "I-87" was approved but thats about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters..._Interstate_87

Raleigh, N.C. — North Carolina has received approval for the names of two new interstate route designations in the eastern part of the state. The American Association of State and Transportation Officials approved I-42 for the U.S. 70 Corridor between I-40 and Morehead City, and I-87 for U.S. 64/17 between Raleigh and the Virginia state line.

“These connections are an integral part of my 25-Year Vision for North Carolina to improve the state’s infrastructure, expand economic opportunities and create jobs,” says Governor Pat McCrory. “They bring a much-needed interstate corridor to the Hampton Roads area, stronger connections between our important military bases, and enhance economic development through faster shipment of freight for our ports and Global TransPark.”

The N.C. Department of Transportation may now proceed with determining where “Future I-42” and “Future I-87” signs should be installed and pursue approval to install those signs from the Federal Highway Administration.

*** NCDOT ***
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina