Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 28,643 times

Advertisements

My husband has decided to take a top level job in Greenville, NC and we are now researching the area. Impressed with East Carolina during our visit and the city's location near the NC coast, but need more tip on where to live. We are looking to buy a home in a nice neighborhood, kid and family friendly, and safe. Would like to be near shopping or at least within a 20 minute drive. We are considering the following areas: Lake Kristi, Brook Valley, Bradford Creek, Lynndale, Ironwood, Rock Springs, Tree Tops, and Southhall. Also, how's the public transit system in Greenville? We rarely drive, so it will be something to get use to when we move down there. Also, how's the traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
I don't know about specific areas, but have three co-workers in the Greenville office. Children aged from pre-school to high. The job involves working with and in all of the high schools. They all live in Winterville. Traffic sucks because it seems most locals drive n average 5-10 miles below the speed limit, but I find this typical of NY drivers as well, except they throw erratic maneuvers into their slow driving. Public transportation is specifically based around the University. I'm not even sure if non students can ride the buses. Regardless, a car is must for any adult in ENC. Another reason traffic sucks are the train tracks that go through the middle of town. Traffic is especially worse on Fridays and evenings. Worse than Raleigh IMO and IME. But does not hold a candle to DC area, where I lived for three years and is second only to NY in horrible traffic.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM

We are looking at Winterville too, but were zeroing in on those neighborhoods based on the houses we have seen online.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:50 PM

451 posts, read 1,914,091 times
First of all, congrats your job offer! All of the neighborhoods you mentioned are nice. My preference would be Lynndale due to the character of the homes and the abundance of trees. I would also recommend Bedford, which neighbors Lynndale.

Greenville does have a bus system, but for the most part this community is based around personal vehicles. I'm not going to lie, you are in for a significant change in lifestyle...while the City has been adding sidewalks all over town, most people drive and you will need a vehicle.

This is a small, rural city that could be considered the polar opposite of Manhattan. Although, your money will go a lot farther real estate-wise around here, for sure.

Traffic is surprisingly bad at times, but anyone from a really large metro area would consider it modest.

The area has grown tremendously over the past decade...I believe City Data states a 35% growth rate...and the area is experiencing growing pains with crime and infrastructure.

Best wishes with your new endeavor.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Thanks Lithuania, it will definitely be a change, I spent my entire life in NYC and my husband is from Northern Virginia. We have visited Greenville twice and have been to the OBX many times and we both like it and our kids like it. It is not Manhattan in no shape or form, but we could see the growth and potential. My husband was not sure about taking the job initially since we own an apartment here and our kids love it here, but after our last visit, we just said let's do this and the money bang for the buck will take us further there than here.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,162,696 times
greenville is not really close to the beach. you're looking at over an hour drive. there is neither decent public transportation nor is there good shopping within an hour drive. on the plus side, the cost of living is very low. you can probably get a very nice house in a decent part of town.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 AM

317 posts, read 826,093 times
Greenville is going to be a shock to your system. I had friends move LI, Manhattan, and Hoboken to larger cities in NC like Charlotte and Raleigh, and they hated it. I saw a question and answer about the bus system in Greenville...you will not be comfortable riding on those buses. Someone mentioned traffic above as well, and it's crazy for as big as the city is. I am sorry I wish I had something positive to say about the city, but I really don't. I have lived all over the place and Greenville was the worst. Oh, one positive is the airport...it's really easy to get in and out of and security is right at the gate.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 AM

150 posts, read 351,868 times
Where is the job? That will influence the areas we suggest. I like Lynndale/Bedford and Brook Valley the best. Also, how old are your kids? One thing you could do is live in Brook Valley and join the country club and then your kids could bike there for swimming which would reduce the driving....

I agree it's going to be a shock to your system. I am still shocked and I've been here a couple of years. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCIINC View Post
My husband has decided to take a top level job in Greenville, NC and we are now researching the area. Impressed with East Carolina during our visit and the city's location near the NC coast, but need more tip on where to live. We are looking to buy a home in a nice neighborhood, kid and family friendly, and safe. Would like to be near shopping or at least within a 20 minute drive. We are considering the following areas: Lake Kristi, Brook Valley, Bradford Creek, Lynndale, Ironwood, Rock Springs, Tree Tops, and Southhall. Also, how's the public transit system in Greenville? We rarely drive, so it will be something to get use to when we move down there. Also, how's the traffic?
Hello NYCIINC welcome to City-Data, I hope I'll be able to assist you because I'm not from this area either. All of the neighborhoods you listed were nice although I'm not familiar with "Lake Krisiti" (question to Greenville residents, is Lake Krisiti across from Autumn Lakes? If so then I don't think that's a neigborhood but just someones home). I'll say Ironwood/Rock Springs are nice neighborhoods but for someone coming from Manhattan it's very far out and is not served by public transit, on the bright side it's not too far from the Hosptial (if that's where the job is).

If you want to live near transit (our bus system is called "GREAT" nice name but it's far from great) I would imagine Brook Valley would be close to a bus station although I'm not sure. Aloof those neighborhoods except Rock Springs/Ironwood and Lake Krisiti are within 20 minutes of shopping and eating.

My personal suggestions for you would be:

Lynndale-all depends on what side your talking about, I really love them newer homes in the back of the neighborhood (question to Greenville residents, is the neighborhood of newer homes still considered Lynndale?). It's close to shopping, a movie theatre, and I believe a park.
Brook Valley-my personal favorite in Greenville for the sizes of the homes. It's not far from ECU, Downtown, or the mall so it has a pretty nice location.
South Hall-not much to say about it but the homes a pretty nice.

I would add West Haven to your search as well because it has the best location of all those you listed and transit is nearby depending on what side you live on. It has it's own park, a variety of homes ranging from those built in the early 70's to the late 2000's, and it's pretty diverse not to forget it has shopping just outside of the neighborhood. The schools for the neighborhood are: South Central, AG Cox, but I'm not sure what the K-5 is. The only downside to the neighborhood is that because it's location is so great and traffic can get bad in Greenville it can be hard to leave the neighborhood from either entrance on weekends.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
I feel that to be happy here you MUST find the right neighborhood. Preferably one with a lot of transplants from other states in it. The locals are nice and will wave and smile at you but that's as far as they will ever go. To get much more interaction out of them takes an act of Congress.

When we first moved here we bought a nice house out in the country. We had neighbors but they tended to keep to themselves despite our best efforts to be a part of their community. I own a service business and I kept going to this one neighborhood that seemed nice enough. As luck would have it over 50% of the residents are transplants. A nice family that was from the same state as we are befriended me and before you know it we had sold our old house and moved into this neighborhood. We are 100% happier with our decision to move here now.

Since I am from the D.C. area I don't consider traffic to be that bad. Most of the traffic problems aren't caused by the number of vehicles. They're caused by people that just won't go. A traffic light will turn green and the car at the front of the line just won't move. I understand wanting to make sure everybody is coming to a stop first but that only takes a second.

Oh, and watch out for the drivers that use the center turn lane to merge into traffic. It is illegal but cops ignore it for the most part. I have seen a bunch of accidents caused by these illegal moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina