Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2007, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,968 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm thinking of retiring to a city within 30 minutes from the coast.
Can anyone tell me what areas have the necessities needed by retirees such as medical, etc?
We've seen Morehead city and Wilmington and like those areas.
We're thinking of a 55 plus community, maybe.

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 08:19 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,056 times
Smile You should check Swansboro & Western Carteret County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Cooper View Post
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what areas have the necessities needed by retirees such as medical, etc?

Thanks all!
There is a 55+ plus community in Swansboro called The Villages. Some of the communities in the Cape Carteret area have very few children.

I don't think you would have any challenge at finding a community with the amenities that you want somewhere between Swansboro and Morehead. There is a tremendous amount of choice, and it is definitely a buyer's market in the area right now.

If you do a search for posts by dsobotta you'll see plenty that discuss the benefits of living in the small towns close to the coast.

In this post I addressed medical facilities. In this post I talk some about a cost comparison between the Crystal Coast and Roanoke, Va where we lived for 19 years.

The western Carteret County area offers proximity to every service you need, without the hassle of traffic.

I was just in Huntersville, Cornelius, Mooresville, and Troutman today. I would not trade our peace and quiet for their new mall every month atmosphere. The traffic has to be seen to be believed.

The only store we really miss in Western Carteret is Target and there is one about twenty five miles away in Jacksonville.

There are lots of nice restaurants in the area, plenty of trails, fantastic boating, plenty of shops, grocery stores, drug stores, great churches, and lots of festivals for entertainment.

We're attending a Lobster Dinner Festival at the Episcopal Church in Swansboro this weekend. It's also the 50th Birthday celebration for Emerald Isle (broken link).

There always seems to be something happening to fill in the time between the beach walks and boat rides.

I would be glad to answer any questions or you can get a lot of answers at my Southern Outer Banks site or my homepage.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by dsobotta; 09-15-2007 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: left out link

Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Cooper View Post
Hi all,

Thanks all!
Check out Brunswick County as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina