Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 08:45 PM

75 posts, read 383,725 times

Advertisements

We are looking for an oceanfront cottage or duplex that accepts 5 large, well behaved dogs (over 50 pounds each). Because of health problems we need a place that does not have a lot of stairs and has at least one (preferably 2) bedroom on the groundfloor. There are 10 of us including the grandkids. A fenced in yard that is 6 feet or higher would be wonderful for the dogs, but not a must. We are hoping to find something reasonable for 4 to 7 nights. We would like something anywhere in the area from Emerald Isle to Surf City/Topsail. We have looked for hours online, and most places have a lot of stairs or have an elevator but cost more than we have in our budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 10:43 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Gosh, don't take this wrong as I'm a dog lover who frequently travels with my dog, but I think it's going to be tough to find a rental that will accept five large dogs.

Any way you can find a friend, family member or dog sitter to mind those pooches while you visit the coast? Or put them into a local kennel here on the coast??

It's likely that a property owner or manager would be very reluctant to risk their property, thinking of the potential damage that could be caused by five dogs in new surroundings...even if the dogs are well-behaved while at home.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:14 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCis4me View Post
We are looking for an oceanfront cottage or duplex that accepts 5 large, well behaved dogs (over 50 pounds each). Because of health problems we need a place that does not have a lot of stairs and has at least one (preferably 2) bedroom on the groundfloor. There are 10 of us including the grandkids. A fenced in yard that is 6 feet or higher would be wonderful for the dogs, but not a must. We are hoping to find something reasonable for 4 to 7 nights. We would like something anywhere in the area from Emerald Isle to Surf City/Topsail. We have looked for hours online, and most places have a lot of stairs or have an elevator but cost more than we have in our budget.
I know lots of rentals on Topsail that will take one or two dogs…but five? I think you may just have to call around to the real estate companies and ask if any of their home owners will make special arrangements…and if they do, it won’t be cheap and it won’t have a 6 foot fence that is for sure!

Old 09-17-2007, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 39,519 times
Not to be mean but five dogs are a lot of tails,I love dogs but take five to the beach is maybe a bit crazy,I leave my four dogs at home and the sitter look at them,is your vacation,enjoy it with the other humans,and back home with more energy to play with your friends.....they will not care.......they will be fine belive me,I have done that many times

Old 09-17-2007, 06:01 PM

The dogs are almost all high maintance rescued dogs with health problems as in crippled, seizures, etc. We took in dogs that otherwise would have been put down. Most are geriatric and sleep most of the day. All are fully housetrained, and half are cage trained. I fully understand not wanting to open a home to 5 rambunctious dogs, but with ours we are talking elderly dogs that want a nice dog pillow in the corner to lie on 18 to 22 hours a day. We understand the fees for the dogs will not be cheap. We took half of them with us to Myrtle Beach last year when there were few of us and them so we could stay in a hotel. The dogs were so well behaved there was not a single incident of damage. Again I understand not wanting to take a chance on 5 large dogs, but I was hoping somewhere there was a very pet friendly cottage or duplex where we could stay. If we cannot find a place that will accept all 5 dogs, we will have to cancel the vacation plans or stay in separate homes for a higher overall rent.

If anyone hears of any place please post. Thanks for those who have posted. Until we got these dogs, we had healthy pets that could be kenneled or left with relatives. It's just not possible now.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,896 times
Quote:
The dogs are almost all high maintance rescued dogs with health problems as in crippled, seizures, etc. We took in dogs that otherwise would have been put down. Most are geriatric and sleep most of the day. All are fully housetrained, and half are cage trained. I fully understand not wanting to open a home to 5 rambunctious dogs, but with ours we are talking elderly dogs that want a nice dog pillow in the corner to lie on 18 to 22 hours a day. We understand the fees for the dogs will not be cheap. We took half of them with us to Myrtle Beach last year when there were few of us and them so we could stay in a hotel. The dogs were so well behaved there was not a single incident of damage. Again I understand not wanting to take a chance on 5 large dogs, but I was hoping somewhere there was a very pet friendly cottage or duplex where we could stay. If we cannot find a place that will accept all 5 dogs, we will have to cancel the vacation plans or stay in separate homes for a higher overall rent.

If anyone hears of any place please post. Thanks for those who have posted. Until we got these dogs, we had healthy pets that could be kenneled or left with relatives. It's just not possible now.
Have you called the rental companies out there yet? In the off season you might find someone to work with you....but only they will know if they can or not.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:41 PM

16 posts, read 78,765 times
Default Pet friendly places

Quote:
When we have traveled with our dogs we have checked out the online pet friendly lodging websites which have been very helpful and there are several online. Don't know your price range but try a search on pet friendly rentals and maybe this one Carolina Beach NC - Vacation Rentals - Kure Beach NC - Topsail Island Vacation Rentals NC.

Hope you can take your "whole family" on vacation! They deserve it!

Old 09-18-2007, 08:31 AM

Thanks! I'm calling the rental companies this week and I have checked a few online pet friendly search sites.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,159,358 times
There is a site ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) and you can check by town/state/pet friendly. Each listing has most of the information you would be looking for, a avaiability calendar, costs, and email or contact # for the owners.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM

21 posts, read 66,538 times
thank you for rescuing, the dog surely do appreciate it! we would give up a vacation for our dogs, too! (:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina