Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 08:21 PM

51 posts, read 126,400 times

Advertisements

For the last few weeks have considered relocating to fl but have now changed to nc. I love the charlotte and huntersville areas but i need to be by the ocean and 3 hour drives are too far.

Does anyone know any good coastal towns in nc or even sc that has area built up with lots of shopping and things going on all the time. I need things to do. Also how are jobs in the area?

Does anyone know anything about wilmington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Used to live in Huntersville. Miss it cause I like the mountains, too. Morehead City and Wiilmington both have pretty good retail. Wilmington is much larger, however.

I personally prefer the a) water, b) area, and c) the people in MHC over Wilmington, but to each his own.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:51 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaab21 View Post
Does anyone know anything about wilmington?
Please read through the posts in the Coastal North Carolina forum. There is certainly lots to do. But, you will be competing for jobs with many college students and people from all over who think Wilmington is great.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
I live 45mins to an hour from Wilmington (depending on traffic).

Wilmington is a lovely town with a fair amount of shops, a historic downtown district and decent amenities due to it being a college town (UNC Wilmington).

Wilmington
The Pros:
-Near the Ocean / Beaches
-Downtown is a lot of fun and has a decent night life
-Some really pretty architecture
-Mayfair Plaza & Independence Mall are both decent for shopping (for mainstream stores etc)

The Cons:
-Wilmington's economy isn't great. Unemployment right now is slightly higher than the national average. Depending on what you do, finding a job may not be easy.
-Traffic: although I-40 runs into Wilmington, I-140 is yet to be completed to it's full extent and traffic through the central part of town (US-17) is oftentimes overly heavy (in my personal opinion).
-Crime: I'm pretty lenient about crime statistics for the most part, but like any city, Wilmington does have it's fair share of crime. It's the 2nd worst city in the country for burglary, and the 5th worst medium sized city for crime overall. I had a friend who moved into a great house in a historical neighborhood near downtown, but unfortunately the area was plagued by problems due to a transitional area just a block away. He said he literally slept with his shotgun beside his bed. They ultimately broke their lease and moved to the suburbs after about 6 months due to some incidents with break ins.
-Cost of Living: While more affordable than California or the North East or even parts of Florida, I've always found this area to be too expensive for what it is and how much you get.

I'm sure that people will tell you as far as jobs go, that Jacksonville (where I am currently stuck, but not for too much longer) may be worth the commute. Personally, I don't think it is. Jacksonville's economy has already dropped off by a long way due to various factors but mainly pertaining to the Marine Corps (main economy in the region). Jobs here aren't as easy to get as people make out, and development has started slowing down. I don't think it would be a long term feasible option. Not to mention the fact that you're look at over an hour commute from Wilmington-Jacksonville during rush hour (probably more depending on where in Wilmington you're coming from and where in Jacksonville you're going to).

Myrtle Beach is another fun option, but although I frequently visit, I've never lived nearby so my knowledge of the area is limited.

A couple of years ago, I had considered moving to Myrtle Beach so during one of my vacations down there I spoke with the locals. They basically told me that the economy was awful for half the year. Although there are jobs with decent hours to be found in the Summer, as it's a tourist based economy, everything really, really slows down in the winter with a lot of reduced hours / lay offs. Additionally, I believe it's considered the #1 worst medium sized city for crime in the U.S., although this isn't surprising since it's a tourist town with a transient community.

What is surprising to most, is that Myrtle Beach only has 27,000 year round residents, but there are approximately 1 million people there on any given day in the Summer.

One huge benefit of Myrtle Beach however, is the fact that the cost of living is reasonably low. As of right now, the Average House Price in Myrtle is only $97,000 compared to $140,000 in Wilmington. Wages in Myrtle Beach are usually a bit lower than Wilmington, but Wilmington's cost of living far exceeds the price difference (higher utilities, groceries, gas, housing, transport, etc).

The best advice I could give you though on either place, would be to find a job first. Then, do your math based on how much rent/mortgage you would be paying and how much more (or less) you would be spending on everything else, and work out if the move is really worth your while.

I'm not trying to diss Wilmington or Myrtle- the beaches are great, and I enjoy both places, but you've got to take the cons with the pros

Good luck in whatever you choose!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM

70 posts, read 182,535 times
You know I'm always surprised when someone mentions crime in Wilmington. I've lived here for 36 years and have been a victim of a burglary only once, never feel nervous but then I also know which areas it is not a good idea to live in or drive alone. If anyone plans on coming to Wilmington check the Wilmington crime map at the Star News website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina