Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 02:48 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,394 times

Advertisements

U.S. forecasters predicted Thursday that this year's Atlantic hurricane season would produce a normal number of about nine to 15 tropical storms, with as many as four to eight of those becoming hurricanes.

9 to 15 storms this hurricane season | season, storms, forecasters - Forecasters - News Source for Jacksonville, North Carolina - jdnews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 05:45 AM

71 posts, read 312,751 times
Default Same Old Thing

Every year we hear the same thing from "US Forecasters" or the National Weather Service. The truth is that nobody knows how many storms will occur this year and their predictions only serve to justify the outrageous premiums charged by insurance companies.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
We already had two. Tropical Storm Albero and Tropical Storm Beryl.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-26-2012 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 07:16 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
My prediction is for between 0 and 25. I have a 100% accuracy rate.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:22 PM

In 2005 there were 28 tropical storms with 15 of those becoming hurricanes. Just remember this folks-It only takes one.
In my opinion-Storms are not universal. Each is unique within itself. Greater wind speed does not necessarily equate to greater damage. Sometimes the effects are compact over a finite time period. Sometimes storm effects cover a broad swath that manifest over hours, days or even weeks. Hurricanes tend to get fickle as the move close to landfall and can turn, circle or pause in a moment or over days.
Each is unique, never should be taken lightly with chances of actually getting "hit" being quite minimal. But feeling the effects of a storm are quite probable if it is projected to come anywhere near our coastline.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
There is also a uniqueness about the NHC reports and actual observed conditions. When a radiosonde is dropped from a hurricane hunter the NHC often tells people what the maximum sustained winds are . These wind speeds are most often found very far above the surface.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 AM

Quote:
There is also a uniqueness about the NHC reports and actual observed conditions. When a radiosonde is dropped from a hurricane hunter the NHC often tells people what the maximum sustained winds are . These wind speeds are most often found very far above the surface.
Excellent point.
It reminds of two stories. Once my Grandmother living in Tennessee called me during a storm. She had heard on TV how Morehead (Specifically Morehead) was being devasted by a storm. I stepped outside and asked, "Do you hear that?" She responded "Hear what?" I said exactly Grandmother I'm standing outside at the moment and nothing is happening.
My Dad who use to live in Raleigh would call and ask, "Alright WRAL is saying this about the storm. What's really happening".
News & weather accountings-Regardless of how they may or may not be attempting to be accurrate must always be taken in context, with a grain of salt and with a sober mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina