Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,747 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My (young) family and I are looking to relocate to NC before September. I am in my early 30's with a 9 yr old. We're looking for family friendly neighborhoods with reasonable rent (paying $900 for a 2 bdr in Jersey, I'd like to not go over that amount). Also, I'm in the social services field, but have a background in customer service and admin as well, so any input on the cities with the best job market would be appreciated as well. I have family in New Bern and Moorhead, but from my research those seem to have more of a retirement feel to them. Any cities near those that would better cater to my needs? ANY info wold be greatly appreciated. THX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM

13,307 posts, read 26,690,962 times
Jacksonville would have some jobs, and it has plenty of young families. The overall job market isn't great, but your experience sounds good. Jacksonville isn't much to look at, but Swansboro and Hubert have nice residential area.

Greenville is larger, so please search the forum on it for "Family neighborhoods". Other people know more about the job market there than I do.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,747 times
Thx! I'll go look at the Greenville forum now.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:19 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,208,947 times
Shelly,

We relocated from So. NJ 9 yrs. ago and live in Winterville/Greenville area. My girlfriend is a [b]Social Worker[b] for the Brody School of Medicine here in Greenville.

You will be able to find resonable rentals here. Good luck with your search & move. kelsie

Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 AM

31 posts, read 56,331 times
We are relocating from Long Island within the next couple of weeks/months as well. If we were renting we would choose Winterville, but we are likely going to buy in Chicod School District. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2014, 06:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,175 times
Hi Im going through some personal staff right now. I leave in Long Island NY Im leaving my home of 10 years. Put it for rent or something. I have to get away for a while. I'm thinking north Carolina i visited Durham for two weeks i was at a resort i drove around a little it seems pretty nice i might be wrong. I have a 16 year old boy junior in Hs and a 13 year old girl that I would need a good school district for. Im a nurse i would also need someplace close by a hospital or nursing home i worked as a nurse for 15 years so Im a hard worker. I just need a good neighborhood good area to rent a place to get our life back to normal any ideas is welcome thank you.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:04 PM

13,307 posts, read 26,690,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella40b View Post
I have to get away for a while. I'm thinking north Carolina i visited Durham for two weeks i was at a resort i drove around a little it seems pretty nice i might be wrong. I have a 16 year old boy junior in Hs and a 13 year old girl that I would need a good school district for.
Please don't take your kids out of school in the middle of the year. " Moving to North Carolina" is not a magic answer for solving personal problems. Please see a counselor and when your thinking is clearer, perhaps you can plan an orderly move.

Just a couple comments to help you organize. Durham is in the Triangle in the middle of the state, surrounded by Raleigh, Chapel Hill and their suburbs. Yes it is a nice areas, and the Wake County schools are very good. Many New York and New Jersey natives are attracted there. There are undoubtedly hospital or nursing home jobs, but even then you should not move without a job offer in hand. Please do some reading in the Raleigh/Durham sub-forum. You will see that qualified nurses are finding that it may take 6 months to find a job.

Coastal North Carolina is a different area. We have a few cities, but they are much smaller than the Triangle cities. Wilmington, Greenville and Jacksonville are the largest, and you can find some good school systems there. Because some of the counties have unemployment rates in the 8-9% range, finding a job will take more planning if you want to locate in the coastal region.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-22-2014 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina