Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:57 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,304 times

Advertisements

I think I probably know the answer, but are there ANY towns in Eastern NC that don't have HUGE drug problems? I know here in tiny Oriental the drugs are rampant. I know it's impossible to find a place without any drugs, but maybe I could find one with a much lesser amount. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:03 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
oh man, ive made the drive from greenville, nc to myrtle beach, sc a few times and it is always downright depressing. meth= death signs everywhere

Old 07-02-2012, 10:25 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I honestly doubt it. You only have to read the local papers or 'area arrests' columns to realize that drugs seem rampant all over Coastal Carolina (and everywhere else) nowadays.

Studies have proven that generally speaking, drugs are more prevalent in communities with lower incomes and lower socio- economic status. Additionally, areas with poorly distributed income (ie: really rich families plus really poor families and lack or minimum of middle class) are even more likely to have drug problems.

Sadly, this second statement describes a lot of Eastern North Carolina.

My guess however, would be that the beach communities which mainly cater to retirees wouldn't have the level of drug problems found in the towns further inland. The higher age bracket associated with retirees, plus higher housing values I'd assume wouldn't cater as kindly to the local meth labs and pushers.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
My guess however, would be that the beach communities which mainly cater to retirees wouldn't have the level of drug problems found in the towns further inland. The higher age bracket associated with retirees, plus higher housing values I'd assume wouldn't cater as kindly to the local meth labs and pushers.
Probably true, but in a mixed income area like Sneads Ferry, the meth labs are mixed in with the affluent areas. Maybe a son uses a summer house, and no-one is watching. Sadly, the big drug round-ups occur right before the primary election, so it looks like the sheriff is doing something.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,304 times
Quote:
I honestly doubt it. You only have to read the local papers or 'area arrests' columns to realize that drugs seem rampant all over Coastal Carolina (and everywhere else) nowadays.

Studies have proven that generally speaking, drugs are more prevalent in communities with lower incomes and lower socio- economic status. Additionally, areas with poorly distributed income (ie: really rich families plus really poor families and lack or minimum of middle class) are even more likely to have drug problems.

Sadly, this second statement describes a lot of Eastern North Carolina.

Well, as you can see, we're in Oriental and in this town of 900 people (mostly retired) even I know the names of 4 dealers. Here it isn't meth, it's crack and coke. I'm trying to find a place to relocate to for our 18yo daughter. She went on her own for treatment a few days ago but gets out shortly and is really afraid to be back here. No relatives to send her to and not a lot of money as we are both retired. What you say about economic status is true though. In this place there are very few places for young people to work, and college is not an option right now, she is too fragile. Think a move may be only option but I don't want to go from the frying pan into the fire!

Old 07-02-2012, 02:40 PM

107 posts, read 257,228 times
Drugs are everywhere. It seems to be ok where I live in Cape Carteret. Our police force and the commuinty seem to work well together. The sheriffs office has really been cracking down ln dugs in carteret county, seems to be more pills than meth...

Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Drugs really aren't the issue.

Its the people succumbing to them. We had for years a mid sized drug dealer down the block..we could not get him on the popo's radar..to small. Neither my children nor I, not even the wife, turned to him. We heard all the ridiculous rumors about NEW BERN HIGH SCHOOL, but again, my daughters just laughed at me when would enquire about the danger. The avoided those people and those places and have very successful careers there.

People need to make the right decisions and choices. Period.

OBTW, my daughters are not saints, far from it, I am so furious at my youngest now, I can't see straight, but drugs are not the reason.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:27 PM

238 posts, read 1,505,395 times
Send her to the Marines. They will straighten her out. When I was in you got the test quite often.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
Send her to the Marines. They will straighten her out. When I was in you got the test quite often.
Everytime my husband's btn gets tested, about 3 people 'pop'. There's definitely still drug use by military personnel whether people want to believe it or not. If she's emotionally fragile right now, the military may not be the best option for her.

I do agree though that the changes made will need to be more significant than a change of scenery though.

OP: I wish you and your family all of the best! I hope that you get everything figured out for her.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,891 times
Quote:
Nope, same problems but with coke instead of meth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina