Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 06:46 PM

713 posts, read 3,928,422 times

Advertisements

Today was the first day in a long time that we awoke to see temperatures in the sixties. We were out walking the beach this evening and for the first time I saw a couple of ladies were sweat suits.

There were a still a number of people in the water, and not just kids.

There were plenty of fishermen. I didn't see a single person in a rush. It was like everyone was doing exactly what they wanted to do, and no one had anything else to do this evening.

The water was down a lot and there were lots of shells on the beach .

So I have a question for our North Carolina beach goers.

What is the most fun, cooking your body on the beach in the summer or having to cover up a little to avoid the fall chill?

A second question is what is your favorite holiday at the beach? For this post assume the answer is not the Fourth of July.

Here are some pictures from the beach today.

-David Sobotta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 09:55 AM

109 posts, read 391,159 times
Default NC beach seasons

I go mostly to the Outer banks, sometimes Bald Head Island
and used to go to Ocean Isle Beach a lot.
Since I am just a big kid at heart, I love to go in the water and
body surf. Of course I can still do that in September and some in
October. We like to go in the fall. The traffic is better. Winter is
good too except for the occasional noreaster.
Your pictures are making me impatient to get back.
We do have great beaches.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:57 AM

450 posts, read 2,321,170 times
Fall is more fun for me. I hate to "cook" in the summer. The Best times are really the off seasons, late spring and early fall, when the crowds are down yet you can still be on the beach in swimwear because it's not scorching but it's not too chilly.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:46 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times
Well I lived in Southern California oceanfront. So for me I would say the Fall, Winter and Spring were my favorites. The beaches would get very crowded in the Summer as you can imagine.
If we do move to NC along the beach, then I can't wait for Christmas!!! I would love to see a little snow on the sand.
When I lived in Calif on the beach, we would decorate for Christmas with surfing Santa's and fun stuff like that (Mermaid being Mrs.Claus). Everyone seemed to love it because they would always take pictures of our home with Surf's up Santa. Santa had fun at our home.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:33 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,170 times
Snow on the sand isn't something I'd expect, at least in Brunswick County. I have lived in NC for over 30 years and I really only remember ONE time, in the 1980s, when the beach area had a substantial snow. In fact on that occasion, they got more than we got inland in the Charlotte to Winston-Salem areas.

I'm not aware of any snows to speak of recently, maybe very very brief flurries, blink and you miss them.

I will miss snow when I relocate to the beach but we don't get nearly as much snow inland as I remember getting when I was young, it's getting more rare to get a really good snow except in the mountains- climate warming.

To me heaven is a move to the NC beaches, and a vacation in the NC mountains. I won't really miss the middle of NC, I like the ends.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:27 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,422 times
Smile Snow would be very rare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Well I lived in Southern California oceanfront. So for me I would say the Fall, Winter and Spring were my favorites. The beaches would get very crowded in the Summer as you can imagine.
If we do move to NC along the beach, then I can't wait for Christmas!!! I would love to see a little snow on the sand.
When I lived in Calif on the beach, we would decorate for Christmas with surfing Santa's and fun stuff like that (Mermaid being Mrs.Claus). Everyone seemed to love it because they would always take pictures of our home with Surf's up Santa. Santa had fun at our home.
In all my travels on the NC coast, I have seen three or four pictures of snow on the beach. I can remember a storm maybe four or so years ago that brought some snow to the Outer Banks.

A little searching turned up this link for the storm of January 23-24, 2003

Last January we only had 19 hours the whole month below freezing. I think there was only snow once at our home in the Virginia mountains so I wouldn't count on snow on the beach happening very often.

While snow might be rare, Crab pot Christmas trees are very common. They even fold up and are easy to store.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,470 times
Default Hi! New here -

And you can tell from my name what I'm about --

We just returned home from a week at Holden Beach, and for us, the end of September is **the** perfect time to be at the coast.

We live in SoCal, in Ventura County, and [sigh] paying the parking fee to go to a V.C. beach in fall or winter is wonderful. But being able to roll out of bed and wander onto the porch [cup of tea in hand] to see waves, sand, dolphins, pelicans, people walking, sunning, and fishing - and knowing that fresh seafood is 5 minutes away - cannot be beat.

Hoping to win a lottery, hehe, and maybe have a porch of our own...

PS - there was a woods fire, near Ocean Isle Beach, that could not be put out last week. Does anyone know if it is finally out? The town didn't have enough water to effectively deal with it, which is terrible.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:20 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
HoldenLover- We were in Calabash last week. The smoke from that fire was quite thick at times wasn't it? There were "dense smoke" warnings on the weather station and on highway flashing signs (hwy 17). Several area fire trucks on the move too!
I drove through Ocean Isle on Friday and there was no sign of smoke or fire equipment. I assumed they got it out, TV said it burned 50 acres.

We are also waiting for that NC coastal porch

Old 10-01-2007, 01:46 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenLover View Post
We live in SoCal, in Ventura County,
HoldenLover, I used in live in Ventura County for 28 years! For the last 3.5 of those years, I lived oceanfront in Oxnard at Hollywood Beach.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:20 AM

3 posts, read 13,470 times
The smoke was really bad last Friday morning, for a couple of hours - it was very much like being here at home in a fire! I'm glad that it's out; and the drought is so awful. Rain, NC, Rain!!

Roma, I love Hollywood Beach! That's another Lotto dream --
[we're in Thousand Oaks ... ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina