Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2012, 03:08 PM

36 posts, read 66,641 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
could anyone please recommend a therapist for me in which you have had personal experience with by chance in coastal nc? wilm, jacksonville etc? I am dealing with some pretty severe anxiety/ocd, never had this problem before but am turning 41 and i think my recent separation has triggered it, any help is very much appreciated as this is starting to interfere with my daily life and i am very much interested in getting this under control. Please let me know....
thanks
chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
I can't recommend a therapist, but I will say that I went through something very similar during a time of stress in my life. I developed severe anxiety as well as several phobias. I found an amazing therapist and my life is completely normal now!

This website was very helpful to me as well: Anxiety, phobia, obsessive compulsive disorder help from Anxiety Care UK There is tons of information there as well as exercises you can do that really will eliminate the anxiety if done consistently. Defining the source of the anxiety is really important and that usually takes a good therapist. I sincerely hope that you find a wonderful therapist and everything works out well for you. Best of luck!

Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM

286 posts, read 652,846 times
CC, check your direct messages.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 PM

10 posts, read 59,479 times
Smile Growing up with our Dad with OCD

My father is 82 years old, with OCD. We had 6 children in our family. None of us knew what was wrong with my father, until I went to Nursing School. I was an E.R. Nurse for 20 years. My father kept my mother up all night checking plugs, checking steam on mirrors (really there was no steam), checking that his place of busines was locked over and over, driving back 10 times or more to check it. We could not have pencils, knives, pens, or anything out, because he said that "they were sharp and someone could get hurt". As a child, we would say out of jest to one another, "I'm gonna kill you". If my father heard anyone say that to someone else, he would ask us over and over, "Did you really mean that?", "Are your sure that you wouldn't kill them?". The kids just had to go out the door and slam it to get away from him. When we finally figured out what it was, he was put on Zoloft, Paxil, and other antidepressants by his family doctor. He should have been sent to a psychiatrist and for behavioral or psychotherapy.

My dad is 82 now. My mother is 80. All of our children are grown and out of the house with their own families. My mother states that my father is worse. He keeps her up all night doing the same routines. He picks off of everyone in the family's plates at the dinner table or in a restaurant, which then causes a fight. If you tell him to take the food and eat it, he gets more agitated and does it more. In family gatherings, we don't sit near him, because of this behavior. A week ago, I was watching a movie with my parents. Nobody else was in the house. A sex scene was in the movie. My father started laughing, putting a pillow over my mom's eyes and saying "You shouldn't watch this stuff'. My mom and I were silent and continued to watch the movie. My father acted like such a baby that I just changed the channel to get him to stop. For God's sake, he had six kids. Now my father has prostate problems. He is on Flowmax, but still gets up all night and has to urinate everywhere that we go. Now he is pissing on the bathroom floor and toilet at he and my mother's house. When they visit me and my two children, he uses the bathroom before he leaves. He pisses on my toilet and floor. My daughter didn't know and got up in the middle of the night and walked in it. I am tired of cleaning a clean toilet and bathroom after he leaves. My mother told him at home, but he continues to do it.

Today, I went to his urologist and got him an appointment. He has not followed up in two years. I also got him a GI appointment, he had a GI bleed 4 months ago and never followed up. I am going to get him an appointment with a psychiatrist that I know to see what needs to be done. I went to their house today and sat at the kitchen table with my Mom and Dad. I told my mom that I was coming. I told him that I am concerned that he is not taking care of his physical and mental health and that we would like him to see these doctors for a check-up. I told him that I don't like him peeing on my floor, and he knows that my mom does not like it. My mom says that he told her that it is an OCD issue that he will not touch his penis to direct his urine into the toilet. I approached it from a medical concern. He admitted that he does this behavior. I told him that he is dribbling on his pants in public. He said that he does not wipe, not that he actually is dribbling. I told him that I think that he may need a prostate scraping to help relieve the urgency and slow stream. He is on celebrex for arthritis by his family DO, but just had a GI bleed due to being on Mobic. I told him that I am concerned about the Celebrex could cause another GI bleed. I asked him if he would see the urologist, Gi doctor, and a pyschiatrist if not for himself, but for his family, because we want to see him feel better. He acknowledged the problems, agreed to take the appointment cards and go. I gave him a hug and told him that I love him and that there is nothing to be embarrassed about. I told him that we all love him and support him.

We have dealt with OCD most of our lives. My dad is a great guy. He works every day at 82 and is good at his job. He will help anyone of us and we will always help him. My Dad always supported his family. he took us on vacation, with six kids. We always had what we needed, and he always encouraged us to do our best. He is actually easier to talk to than my mother. She does not exactly see her part in this OCD issue. She has just had it. Now that the kids are grown up, it is focused on her. I love my mom, as well, and would do anything for her. She is in denial a lot of the times. She is loosing her hearing and will not get evaluated. She turns the t.v. up and talks over it to the point that I want to go home. She never discussed sex ever ever ever and still is child like if you talk about it. She is very catholic and requires only the basic needs in life. She does not see that she deserves to treat herself for putting up with my Dad and all of us. She spend her life caring for kids. My mom does not understand technology or why we use or need it. She has always been there for us and we do the same for her. They are my parents and my two childrens grandparents. We love and care for them and will do it as they did for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina