Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:03 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,340,292 times

Advertisements

If you are thinking of working as a nurse in this state, it would be in your best interests to find out what exactly you'll need to do to be licensed here. Sometimes people think it won't be a problem and then discover that they really should've looked into things in more detail. Just a thought.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 PM

10 posts, read 49,360 times
Default I did not care for Greenville NC...

after 7 years I could I did not like the bad city planning, the traffic, the crime, poverty that was separated by gated communities. We owned a home which was nice. There was only one public park I knew of in town. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I would not move there.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:37 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 06:14 PM

451 posts, read 1,913,656 times
Crime is pretty bad in Greenville. I think it is a function of the rapid growth and the increased cost of living (inflation)...not just in Greenville but the nation in general. Greenville is steadily gaining amenities, though, and has a pretty good social climate. Real estate is reasonable and great boating opportunities are nearby. I like living here but I do wish some changes would be made. The good news is that more and more progressive people are moving here so there will be some good changes.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:36 AM

9 posts, read 55,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
If you are thinking of working as a nurse in this state, it would be in your best interests to find out what exactly you'll need to do to be licensed here. Sometimes people think it won't be a problem and then discover that they really should've looked into things in more detail. Just a thought.....
Thanks for the advice!
Yes, I will be looking into that when I visit in Feb. I know nurses in the states need to worry about insurance and cost of supplies and such... and I'd like to see what kind of assistance I could get with that NCLEX.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 55,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinions2 View Post
after 7 years I could I did not like the bad city planning, the traffic, the crime, poverty that was separated by gated communities. We owned a home which was nice. There was only one public park I knew of in town. I would say look under city crime stats Moderator cut: link removed

I would not move there.
That is kind of scary...
Thanks for the link!

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2007 at 02:31 AM..

Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,643 times
hi

im looking to get in contact with some people i think live in greenville still?

i was over in summer of 96 with a group of irish kids for a month and met some nice ppl while over
i hope some1 can help. am i allowed to name ppl on this site

Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM

451 posts, read 1,913,656 times
I'm trying to think really hard, but I can't recall any gated communities in Greenville. Maybe a couple, but they are few and far between. You can tell that the area has seen an upswing in more expensive housing, but I would say that "poverty that was separated by gated communities" isn't entirely accurate. However, traffic is getting worse and the City has struggled to keep up with the growth. There are several projects in the works to improve traffic flow throughout town, though, but traffic is often a byproduct of growth. Not many municipalities can keep up with infrastructure needs with growth rates as high as Greenville's.

Anywhere you move, it's mostly about the people you meet - and there are some really nice folks around here.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 682,909 times
Default Have they scared you off?

Jen. If the above posts have you concerned about the eastern part of the state, keep in mind that NC is a very wide state. Nursing skills are in great demand in the Triangle (Durham , Chapel Hill, & Raleigh), the Triad (Greensboro, High Point & Winston-Salem) and in western NC, where I now reside.

There is a lot of variety in NC (we used to call ourselves the Variety Vacationland) both in the culture and the scenery. You can have the coast or the highest mountain ranges (over 6,600 feet above the sea level) in the eastern half of the US. The Blue Ridge Parkway, the Appalachian Trail and numerous other trails and roads criss-cross this state. Want food? So many excellant places to tell you about and nowhere enough time. Try Googling for additional information.

NC actually rates as a very affordable place to live, from the housing costs, auto insurance and electricity rates (Duke Power and Progress Energy are considered as better performing electric generating utulities as go US energy companies.)

Of course, gasoline costs are now through the roof! Where two months ago, I paid about $2.65 a gallon, today it was $3.03 a US gallon (approximately 4 litres) for regular gasoline.

The medical schools at Greenville (ECU), Durham (Duke), Chapel Hill (University of North Carolina) and Winston-Salem (Wake Forest - Bowman Grey School of Medicine) create a large demand for nurses and offer exceptional opportunities for those in the nursing field. This demand has trickled out into the outlying areas.

Friday nights in the fall are High School Football night anywhere in NC. The locals really support the high scool teams. And yes, we still have the holiday parades.

College basketball rules late fall through winter. The teams frequently end up in the NCAA finals. UNC, NCSU, Duke, and Wake Forest. Most areas have minor league abseball teams. The Durham Bulls are the most famous and have a beautiful stadium (go to their website at 2007 Durham Bulls Baseball Club) but there are many others: The Asheville Tourists, Hickory Crawdads, etc.

Wish you the best with your decision. We can use more nurses down here, especially in western NC.

Last edited by vq1; 11-27-2007 at 09:17 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 AM

562 posts, read 1,790,121 times
Default Greenville sucks

Hey Jen,
I am a resident at the hospital and have posted a few other times about greenville, it isnt a bad city if you like 2 things... drinking at bars, or bmx biking because that is what greenville is centered around the undergrads drinking and the professional bikers here. Other than that there is nothing to do (well in the summer the beach is only an hour away), and the bars suck here to compare to any big 10 school ( the old ECU is a huge party school) has long been dead.

Places I would reccomend living if you are looking for an apartment include Waterford, which is next to the hospital or the Point at Wimbledon which is across town. Treybrook is ok also but it is right next to a bad neighboorhood.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM

13 posts, read 39,672 times
Jen, i've known a lot of traveling nurses (which i assume you are), and none to date that i know have had any problems working here. don't know your experience, but greenville is a fast growing community with a pretty rapid paced hospital. imo it would be a good place for someone to get acclimated to the style of nursing in a different country, not that there can be that many variations, but you know what i mean. good luck, and if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. i know when i moved here it was kinda spurr of the moment without much research, not wise to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina