Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 07:02 PM

506 posts, read 2,282,507 times

Advertisements

ok here it goes , i live in New York and I would like to buy a Vacation/ retirement home somewhere in NC...

1. im 52 wife same w 4 kids ages 5,7,9,11......
2. would like something on beach w pool.....(of course doesn't everybody.....lol)
3. close to airport if possible so i could fly down....for a couple of days if i wanted....
4. would buy old house or property that needs work...foreclosures ok
5. Would consider town house or large community...
6. at least 6 bed rooms

would like to spend 400k-700k.......
thanks for your thoughts and ideas...............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM

13,380 posts, read 27,123,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
3. close to airport if possible so i could fly down....for a couple of days if i wanted....
would like to spend 400k-700k.......
At your budget, there would be plenty of houses with 6 BR, and some would be beachfront. However, watch for beach erosion if the price seems too cheap.

Another note. Air service to the Outer Banks is not easy as Norfolk/Newport News is closest. Otherwise, Wilmington and Jacksonville provide air service, but you frequently have to connect through Charlotte. Myrtle Beach has 1-stop flights to New York through Atlanta, and a non-stop from Newark on Colgan Air. You can get to the Brunswick County beaches easily from MB airport. Wrightsville Beach is probably the closest to an airport (Wilmington).

Do you have other interests such as golf, boating or fishing that would be a factor in your decision?

Added: In the real-estate magazine, I have seen one 6BR ocean-front place with a small private pool on Topsail Island in your price range, and a couple more without pools. Wrightsville Beach tends to be more expensive, but it has more amenities, especially for kids.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-19-2012 at 08:23 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 10:30 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,123,139 times
A couple of additional thoughts. There's a place with 6 BR and a pool across the street from the ocean in North Topsail, with good views.

I'm not sure if you are looking for places with things to keep the kids entertained, but North Topsail is very quiet. There is nothing but the beach and houses; restaurants and stores could be 8 miles away. You might also look at Emerald Isle for more things to do. EI has one gated townhouse community. Surf City also has townhouse-type places, and has a good variety of things to do.

If you want more flexibility with rentals, you might look at two halves of a duplex, each with 3 bedrooms.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,860,229 times
The Wilmington area is the only one close to an airport.

Does it HAVE to be NC? Virginia has the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area which has an airport, and South Carolina has Myrtle Beach and Charleston. What parts of NC have you seen that made you choose this state specifically, and someone might be better able to steer you?

In general in this area, you don't find many houses right on the beach with pools--why a pool when the ocean is right there? Condo projects often have them, but not houses.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 AM

48 posts, read 109,671 times
Not many homes "on the beach" have homes as the lots are so close to each other. City or county governments make more real estate taxes by having more properties within an area. So with very small lots with almost no yards not many of the beach homes have pools at all unless you get into much bigger money. However if you go back in rows or in minutes to the beach you're much more likely to find properties with pools. I would think this is typical for coastal communities. As they say you can't have it all--but it's the American way to die trying (to have it all).

Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,023 times
Try Kure Beach. Quiet and great family beach. Probably at your upper end for 6 bdrm.
We have owned vacation home there for 8 years and love it.
Considered buying in Nags Head, Hatteras, Topsail . Really happy we decided on Kure instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina