Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:23 AM

28 posts, read 59,762 times

Advertisements

macjr82 -- you know I am not sure how long ago she was there. I'll definitely check it out though!

MTNesters-- I have been searching, but just not coming up with a whole lot. It seems most focus on Jacksonville and Wilmington. We will for sure look at all the areas in person... I just am getting a little antsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM

13,390 posts, read 27,211,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebobannie View Post
Do any of them have more of a "community vibe" than the others?
I'm never sure what people are looking for when they say "community vibe". Sneads Ferry has many transients and a few locals. Marine families may be here for only two years at a time, and they come from all over. They look out for each other, but tend to have their own culture. So, I'd say, Sneads Ferry is probably lacking in the "community vibe" you are looking for. Holly Ridge is just the businesses supporting the beach community, and a few housing developments along Highway 17. They have a 4th of July fireworks show and a few civic organizations. Probably not the vibe you are looking for either.

Hampstead has a senior center, a decent library, activities for kids, good schools, good shopping, several golf courses with upscale housing, and it's close enough to Wilmington to be a reasonable commute.

Richlands is so far out, I don't think it's a reasonable commute to anywhere except Jacksonville. I hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:08 PM

28 posts, read 59,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'm never sure what people are looking for when they say "community vibe". Sneads Ferry has many transients and a few locals. Marine families may be here for only two years at a time, and they come from all over. They look out for each other, but tend to have their own culture. So, I'd say, Sneads Ferry is probably lacking in the "community vibe" you are looking for. Holly Ridge is just the businesses supporting the beach community, and a few housing developments along Highway 17. They have a 4th of July fireworks show and a few civic organizations. Probably not the vibe you are looking for either.

Hampstead has a senior center, a decent library, activities for kids, good schools, good shopping, several golf courses with upscale housing, and it's close enough to Wilmington to be a reasonable commute.

Richlands is so far out, I don't think it's a reasonable commute to anywhere except Jacksonville. I hope this helps.

Thank you! That does help a lot. By community vibe I guess I just mean that people interact....churches, family functions, friendliness, etc. My husband and I are moving from Idaho which is very family oriented so I am hoping to find something that will ease the culture shock!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina