U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 AM

21 posts, read 40,709 times

Advertisements

Today marks 29 days out of the past 30 of experiencing downpour rain in Wilmington. This has not once happened, even close, in the 9 years we have lived here. A solid month of nearly every day pouring rain - for at least 15 minutes each of those rainy days, not just a tiny bit.

Usually we have so few rain days over the summer that we have to water the lawn. What happened?

Yet with this extreme deviation from the norm this summer, not one mention has been made in the Star News (Wilmington's newspaper). I don't watch TV; does anyone who watches TV know if the TV news has made any news comment on this unusual weather?

Especially contrasted to the drought in the midwest. This is bizarre. I'm starting to feel like I live in Seattle or Pittsburgh.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:46 AM

68 posts, read 99,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaway View Post
Today marks 29 days out of the past 30 of experiencing downpour rain in Wilmington. This has not once happened, even close, in the 9 years we have lived here. A solid month of nearly every day pouring rain - for at least 15 minutes each of those rainy days, not just a tiny bit.

Usually we have so few rain days over the summer that we have to water the lawn. What happened?

Yet with this extreme deviation from the norm this summer, not one mention has been made in the Star News (Wilmington's newspaper). I don't watch TV; does anyone who watches TV know if the TV news has made any news comment on this unusual weather?

Especially contrasted to the drought in the midwest. This is bizarre. I'm starting to feel like I live in Seattle or Pittsburgh.
We have only been in this area for five months,and I was wondering if the downpours,just about every day are normal. I`ve come to dread going out when I see the dark clouds,I find driving in the downpours to be very dangerous,with drivers passing me still going seventy, with no safe place to even pull over.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 AM

1,681 posts, read 5,553,101 times
I've had rain everyday for 3 weeks here in Morehead. Seems to be a perpetual system hugging the coastline then progressing NE thru Pamlico/Beaufort Counties. This has been my home base for many a decade and I don't recall this ever being like this before.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:21 PM

22,770 posts, read 27,586,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaway View Post
i don't have any rainfall data offhand, but i believe that the past 9 years (or longer) have not had much rainfall. I think we've been in-and-out of drought conditions since 1998 or so.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM

196 posts, read 525,103 times
I'd suggest it is better than the alternative? Thinking many folks in the Midwest would love to have this problem.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 AM

2,246 posts, read 5,368,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't have any rainfall data offhand, but i believe that the past 9 years (or longer) have not had much rainfall. I think we've been in-and-out of drought conditions since 1998 or so.
You are correct. North Carolina spends a whole lot of time in some stage of drought. The data can be seen here -> Drought Monitor Archive Tables The data goes back to the beginning of 2000.

Our rain and the drought in the Mid West are directly related and the cause is the same. Without getting technical, there has been high pressure parked over the Four Corners (Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah) literally all summer. This is causing the conditions we're seeing in the country.

We did luck out last night though. We were under a areal flood watch with 2 to 4 inches of rain expected over night and into today. An expected cold front was supposed to move into the area and channel moisture over us. The front sagged further south than they expected and combined with dry air, moved the moisture further south and saved us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina