Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 12:24 PM

59,054 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

I would agree in a normal market. My wife has 7 listings and not 1 showing in a month. When I say the market is dead, I mean dead.

The buyers need an insentive to get moving again. That is why all retail operations have "sales", ie priced reduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 02:39 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
What's the absorption rate there? The Crystal Coast MLS is at 21 months.
Thanks!
Bill

Old 10-17-2007, 07:57 PM

137 posts, read 575,676 times
Bill,

So the sense I'm getting, is that real estate at least on the Crystal Coast has taken a dive. I just looked up what "absorption rate" means. Is it the same in Brunswick county also? Any realtors out there care to comment? Just by looking at the ads for houses it's hard to tell, but the numbers of houses for sale are increasing. I'm going down to Shallotte the first week in November to see firsthand and check out how much $$ buys how much house. I know in this area, housing prices are soft (Anne Arundel county, Maryland).

Brad

Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 PM

15 posts, read 58,985 times
I live in Sunset Beach ( the mainland ) and sold my condo in 32 days.
It is in a golf community, overlooks a pond & the golf course. Sold it
myself with some creative marketing techniques & lowering the price.
All the real estate in this area is terrible overpriced & nothing has been
reduced because this area previously enjoyed a very sweet market...
put it up for sale & it was immediately gone. Now new developments are
everywhere, but no one has started dropping prices.

I needed to sell quickly & yes I took a loss, but I bought when everything
was high & bidding wars were everywhere... stupid , yes.
I sold for enough to purchase my new place so I feel very fortunate.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM

10 posts, read 30,033 times
Default Check out prices for yourself

If you go to Moderator cut: no advertising you can view great pictures of the area & look at everything that is for sale in Brunswick Co. It is defined as a buyers market right now, things are moving, but not as quickly as years passed. Yes, we have had reductions, but we do encourage sellers to set realistic prices to begin with. Just guessing, based on your user name - that you are sailor? You should look at Southport - we have two sailing & boat clubs - Cape Fear Yacht Club & Southport Sailing & Boat Club. The Southport Marina is currently undergoing drastic upgrades & changes. Hope this helps!

Last edited by autumngal; 12-09-2007 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: no advertising

Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM

10 posts, read 30,033 times
Default Absorbtion Rate in Brunswick Co.

Last I heard it was roughly 13 mo. There are some GREAT buys - it would hep if the media were less 'doom and gloom' and more realistic.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:08 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
The absortion rate is taking the rate in which properties come on the market for sale and the rate in which properties have gone off the market as sold and coming up with a rate that determines how long it would take to sell off all of the inventory currently on the market.
Forgive the run on sentence!!
In a normal/stable market the absorption rate should be around 6 months. In other words-If no new properties came on the market for sale, then the current rate of sales would have all of the inventory sold in 6 months.
The Crystal Coast is currently at a rate of 23 months.
Bill

Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,976 times
what are the specs of your house and at what cost . did u say it was on a golf course...if so ..whats the gc name. im looking to relocate in that area

Old 11-13-2007, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 53,394 times
there are several great investmnents there right now. I was recently involved with someone making 100 return

Old 11-13-2007, 05:04 PM

5 posts, read 21,449 times
Default Home Prices in Brunswick County, NC

Currently, there are lots of homes for sale throughout the Wilmington general area, including Brunswick Co. Generally, construction has slowed considerably, but is certainly not at a standstill. There are failed subdivisions where buyers have been left in the lurch. Builders going bankrupt before completing amenities. When this happens the current buyers are left holding the bag. Because of a stagnant and falling market, such persons then put out the old FSBO sign and hope for the best. They have no equity to pay an agent. I read in the Wilmington Star-News over the weekend that one builder is offering to pay mortages for new home buyers for 12 months. It is likely that, when all the houses are sold,they will file bankruptcy to avoid this committment. That's just my opinion, given the situation. Prices are drifting down. Both the real estate brokers and sellers, generally, are in denial regarding the current and future market either denying that anything is wrong or refusing to lower prices. They can only hold out so long. I know of a very nice 3bd, 2ba, 2gar home with FROG, in a very nice area,that has been on the market for over 450 days. The seller first listed it at 230, then 220, latest, reduction to 203. If he lowered it to 190, it would sell. Keep in mind that there has been no equity earned by homeowners here for over a year. Given that, if you want to live here, it is a buyer's market and you can probably strike a good deal anywhere in Brunswick County. However, waterfront property is still just as expensive as it ever was. Recent giant property tax increases are forcing many persons of modest means lliving near the water to wonder how long they can stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina