Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Wilmington, North Carolina area, good towns in Wilmington region, school systems, UICC, Dominican University in River Forest, social work program, good beaches at the lake

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:11 PM

70 posts, read 93,688 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Statesville, and then moved to a suburb of Chicago in march. Although I'm supposed to start grad school near Chicago in Sept., I'm starting to not be as happy here(a large reason for moving was to be closer to my now ex girlfriend). NOt to mention having trouble finding a job(I was smart enough to save a lot of money before moving, but it's starting to dwindle). So, I'm looking into other areas I could see myself living, in case Chicagoland doesn't work out. And I've realized I could really see myself living near a beach.

One of my options has been Wilmington. UNCW seems to have a good social work program(my chosen field of study), but from what I've read here and other places, it has a very high crime rate, bad economy, crappy jobs, and expensive. I'm looking for somewhere that is within, say, 45 minutes of the beach(and a similar distance from UNCW, in case I apply and get accepted), low crime(obviously), and decent employment opportunities for a 24 year old college graduate. Cost of living isn't *as much* of an issue at the moment, because I would probably try to find a roommate via roomates.com or craigslist, to help split the costs. Any suggestions on good towns in the Wilmington area that might fit this description?

I should also note that I think I would be ok working in Wilmington, but after some of the stuff I've read, I don't know I actually want to live *in* Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Hi the administrator of this site is working on creating a forum for that section of the state but I made a list of threads with response in this thread posted below maybe you can find valuable information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ilmington.html

mington - Where to Live?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadly View Post
I grew up in Statesville, and then moved to a suburb of Chicago in march. Although I'm supposed to start grad school near Chicago in Sept., I'm starting to not be as happy here(a large reason for moving was to be closer to my now ex girlfriend). NOt to mention having trouble finding a job(I was smart enough to save a lot of money before moving, but it's starting to dwindle). So, I'm looking into other areas I could see myself living, in case Chicagoland doesn't work out. And I've realized I could really see myself living near a beach.

One of my options has been Wilmington. UNCW seems to have a good social work program(my chosen field of study), but from what I've read here and other places, it has a very high crime rate, bad economy, crappy jobs, and expensive. I'm looking for somewhere that is within, say, 45 minutes of the beach(and a similar distance from UNCW, in case I apply and get accepted), low crime(obviously), and decent employment opportunities for a 24 year old college graduate. Cost of living isn't *as much* of an issue at the moment, because I would probably try to find a roommate via roomates.com or craigslist, to help split the costs. Any suggestions on good towns in the Wilmington area that might fit this description?

I should also note that I think I would be ok working in Wilmington, but after some of the stuff I've read, I don't know I actually want to live *in* Wilmington.
You've never been to Wilmington???? No worse than North Myrtle Beach and as hard to find housing that is affordable. Have you applied yet to UNCW? There may be people in the graduate dept. who could help you with the room mate situation. But if you've started school alrerady, depending where you are, STAY THERE!!!!! It's Chicago!!!!! You're young and what an education you can get, (altho the tuition prabably is horrendous )!!!!!!!!

Old 06-19-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
You've never been to Wilmington???? No worse than North Myrtle Beach and as hard to find housing that is affordable. Have you applied yet to UNCW? There may be people in the graduate dept. who could help you with the room mate situation. But if you've started school alrerady, depending where you are, STAY THERE!!!!! It's Chicago!!!!! You're young and what an education you can get, (altho the tuition prabably is horrendous )!!!!!!!!
haha, I've been to Wilmington, but only a couple of times, mainly to see the Battleship. Haven't applied to UNCW yet, and don't start school until Sept. It seems to be a pretty good school. I'm just sorting out how much I like it here, and other options of places to live if the current job situation doesn't improve.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
haha, I've been to Wilmington, but only a couple of times, mainly to see the Battleship. Haven't applied to UNCW yet, and don't start school until Sept. It seems to be a pretty good school. I'm just sorting out how much I like it here, and other options of places to live if the current job situation doesn't improve.
What school are you enrolled at? I went to UICC before you were even born . Worked at the medical center on the Dan Ryan..... Be sure you go to the big music and food festivals on Navy Pier... ***sigh***

Old 06-19-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
What school are you enrolled at? I went to UICC before you were even born . Worked at the medical center on the Dan Ryan..... Be sure you go to the big music and food festivals on Navy Pier... ***sigh***
Dominican University in River Forest. Their social work program is only about 5 or 6 years old I think.

I'd like to do more in the city, but seeing as how I'm not into the bar/club scene personally, and am quite shy, about the only things I've known of so far to do are the museums, and that gets a bit old eventually. Where can I find more info on the music festivals, etc. at navy pier?

What are some good beaches at the lake? I've thought about going there on occasion during these summer months, to satiate my love for beach areas whilst in my decision-making process(or to possibly help give clearer perspective). But, b/c of the shyness issue, I don't have many people to go with, and I'm a bit concerned of my belongings(beach towel, etc.) getting stolen should I decide to go swimming. Not to mention that I would be using mass transit, b/c I only drive in the city when I absolutely *have* to - I'm not a big fan of driving lol.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM

10 posts, read 23,324 times
Chadly, I've lived in the Chicago area for 4 years now. If you're a beginner and looking for things to do, check out Metromix.com or read the Red Eye newspaper. Both are loaded with various things to see and do. Summer is the best time in Chicago (the only reason I'm still here). Every weekend, there are street festivals. Just show up, wander around. Chicago is made for single people. Keep in mind that the majority of the people in Chicago the same age as you are also single in your same boat - just looking for people to meet and do things with. Heck, you can even meet people on Myspace or Facebook if you're a student. Don't give up on Chicago so soon.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Dominican University in River Forest. Their social work program is only about 5 or 6 years old I think.

I'd like to do more in the city, but seeing as how I'm not into the bar/club scene personally, and am quite shy, about the only things I've known of so far to do are the museums, and that gets a bit old eventually. Where can I find more info on the music festivals, etc. at navy pier?

What are some good beaches at the lake? I've thought about going there on occasion during these summer months, to satiate my love for beach areas whilst in my decision-making process(or to possibly help give clearer perspective). But, b/c of the shyness issue, I don't have many people to go with, and I'm a bit concerned of my belongings(beach towel, etc.) getting stolen should I decide to go swimming. Not to mention that I would be using mass transit, b/c I only drive in the city when I absolutely *have* to - I'm not a big fan of driving lol.

Lakermace has great recent ideas. I don't recall "beaches" per se in Chicago, only near Belmont Ave Marina and near Lincoln Park Zoo, but heaven knows about that now. When I was there, people used to go to the "Dells" (Wisconsin).

Old 06-20-2007, 05:23 PM

Thank you both for the ideas

Lakermace - so far I do like it here, and I am finally starting to make some friends(mostly via myspace). My biggest problem is, that I'm having trouble getting a job that pays enough to stay afloat financially as well as being flexible with grad school schedules. I've mostly applied to customer service/office type jobs as well as group home jobs similar to what I worked back in NC(which would give me more experience in my chosen fields). I rarely get callbacks from the customer service/office jobs, and the group home jobs so far turn out to not be flexible with class schedule. So, I'm just starting to think about my options should the job situations not improve in the next month or two.

mm_mary: Anywhere along lake michigan is good I love the ocean, and that's the closest thing to an ocean there is around here, so I definitely want to go check it out. But is there public transit near the lake(either buses, or getting off at the nearest El stop and walking)? Also, are there places where I could secure my valuables(wallet, beach towel, book) should I decide to swim, rather than just lying out on the sand reading a book or napping?

Old 06-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
..............But is there public transit near the lake(either buses, or getting off at the nearest El stop and walking)? Also, are there places where I could secure my valuables(wallet, beach towel, book) should I decide to swim, rather than just lying out on the sand reading a book or napping?
From what I remember, yes, there are buses; the el is not close. I used to walk / ride from 3700 north/200 west. I can't remember about the beaches - we did swim, but Lord knows if that's still OK. Lakermace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina