Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times

Advertisements

60 degree days occur year round in places like Beaufort, Manteo, Wilmington & Southport...you can golf year round...enjoy outdoor activities year round...its just about three months in the summer that you have to cool off at the beach or pool...but its cooler than places inland.

The key is staying in those places that have the ocean breezes, that keeps the bugs away for the most part...when you get inland is when the bugs get bad. I continue to maintain that the goal in living in Coastal NC is to get as close to the water as possible...this means more breeze, less bugs and better summertime weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 PM

43 posts, read 242,276 times
That's encouraging for sure. It might work for us as we'd likely be on or very near the water a lot and would probably travel to other parts of the country some in the summers.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Unlike Goldenage I'm an NC native so his outlook might be more similar to yours, but I hate the winters even here in NC. I love the summer. The heat and humidity doesn't bother me nearly as much as cold weather does. It does get grey and rainy here, too. Finally it is starting to be spring-like here in NC, but even though it's sunny today the predicted high of 53 in the Triangle is still a little bit too cold for me, personally, to really enjoy being outdoors. I would take 90 over 50 any day of the week. If you really want sunny warm weather year round and sailing, someplace farther south on either the west coast or the east coast (like Florida) might be more to your liking.

Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but it can snow on the coast of NC in the winter, too. It doesn't happen every year, but sometimes a particular weather pattern forms that dumps a load of snow on the coast. And of course, hurricanes and tropical storms are a concern for anyone living on the coast. NC has the 4th highest rate of hurricane landfall after Florida, Texas, and Louisiana.

And yes we have bugs—bugs that want to bite you like mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, etc., and plenty of other bugs like "palmetto bugs" aka big ol' roaches. The ticks are the ones that annoy me the most. The mosquitoes don't bother me too much. Snakes aren't much of an issue as long as you take reasonable precautions like not going barefoot in tall grass at night and making sure that stick you're reaching for in the twilight is really a stick. (I know someone who was bitten by a copperhead that way while working in the yard in the evening.) Generally the snakes do not want to bother you and just want to get away so as long as you don't threaten them by stepping on them or grabbing them they'll skedaddle.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM

43 posts, read 242,276 times
I don't have any particular fear of dealing with hurricanes, given the advanced warning, but I was curious how many times the Beaufort area has been under evacuation and/or faced significant damage from weather. Is there a site that shows such a history for the region? And forgive my ignorance, but are places like Beaufort, Harker's Island, and inner banks significantly less likely to be evacuated or damaged by storms than communities along the Outer Banks?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
The beach areas are definitely the hardest hit in a storm — that's where you see pictures of the houses falling into the ocean, but you can have millions of dollars worth of damage as far inland as Raleigh and Charlotte. Beaufort is quite susceptible to damage in a big storm. Here's a map of hurricane landfalls since 1950: http://www.coastal.geology.ecu.edu/N..._landfalls.jpg

NOAA has a pretty cool interactive tool, too: Historical Hurricane Tracks

This is info on hurricanes that have hit Morehead City: Morehead City,North Carolina hurricanes

Hurricane Irene in 2011 was the most recent storm to hit Beaufort: North Carolina Hurricane Damage

Old 08-25-2013, 01:29 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidseven View Post
I think we'll time our visit for a summer month so we can experience the downsides firsthand.
Kidseven - Did you ever visit Beaufort? I'd be interested in your reaction.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times
We are looking as well to move. We live in a big city and wanting to get away from crime and other items here. We are looking to move to NC. We have looked all over state and plan on visiting soon to see what towns we like. We are looking for small town vibe with older style homes with access to beaches and a outdoor lifestyle with small town feeling. Schools are priority because we have a 2 & 9 year old. Are there soccer clubs in area? Our child plays select and would like to continue to play club soccer. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you !

Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sferris View Post
Are there soccer clubs in area? Our child plays select and would like to continue to play club soccer.
Is this what you mean by club soccer? Seashore Soccer League

Old 12-13-2017, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,309 times
kidseven, did you end up moving to Beaufort? how is your experience? we are anticipating a move to the area...

Old 12-14-2017, 05:42 AM

There have been no posts from kidseven since 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina