Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times

Advertisements

Needed now? No. But I don't have a problem with Kinston wanting or studying this . It looks like they're trying to create their own loop around the city. Overall, creating better roadways in eastern NC should be a priority. It certainly would make it easier getting around Kinston trying to go north & south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 06:44 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Jacksonville wants an interstate, but they haven’t decided which corridor they want it to follow.

Jacksonville could see interstate access soon - News - The Daily News - Jacksonville, NC

In my opinion, it should be a spur to either 40 or 42. (I-X40) or (I-X42)

Old 02-26-2018, 06:52 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Jacksonville wants an interstate, but they haven’t decided which corridor they want it to follow.

Jacksonville could see interstate access soon - News - The Daily News - Jacksonville, NC
Just saw this...With the 17 project in Jones County underway that will tie to I-42 north of New Bern...I dont see the need to do anything north (to Kinston or New Bern). That road will be sufficient.

What is obvious is that I-140 should be extended both North to Jacksonville and south to South Carolina...the population growth along that corridor is substantial.

As a secondary Interstate route, I think Jacksonville should be tied to I-40 via the Kenansville bypass. This is not necessary based on development, but just based on giving the Jacksonville area Interstate access.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:52 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
As a secondary Interstate route, I think Jacksonville should be tied to I-40 via the Kenansville bypass. This is not necessary based on development, but just based on giving the Jacksonville area Interstate access.
NCDOT is already planning to widen NC-24 between I-95 in Fayetteville and I-40 near Warsaw so, theoretically, there could be an I-95 spur leading to Jacksonville. However, that widening project will only make it a 4-lane expressway with at-grades. Upgrading NC-24 to interstate standards will not be easy nor cheap.

Honestly, since NCDOT plans to eventually upgrade US-17 to a freeway throughout the whole state anyway, the thing to do IMO would be to pursue either an I-97 or I-99 designation for US-17 between Myrtle Beach and Future I-87 in Williamston. The fact that US-17 is already part of the national Strategic Highway Network (STRAHNET) and that Jacksonville has a military base should make getting Congressional support pretty easy.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:30 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
NCDOT is already planning to widen NC-24 between I-95 in Fayetteville and I-40 near Warsaw so, theoretically, there could be an I-95 spur leading to Jacksonville. However, that widening project will only make it a 4-lane expressway with at-grades. Upgrading NC-24 to interstate standards will not be easy nor cheap.

Honestly, since NCDOT plans to eventually upgrade US-17 to a freeway throughout the whole state anyway, the thing to do IMO would be to pursue either an I-97 or I-99 designation for US-17 between Myrtle Beach and Future I-87 in Williamston. The fact that US-17 is already part of the national Strategic Highway Network (STRAHNET) and that Jacksonville has a military base should make getting Congressional support pretty easy.
I agree, however, I just dont see it as a priority over the connection to I-40 at Kenansville. As well, we all know that all roads seemingly must lead to Raleigh for our state legislators support (rolling eyes). The point would be to connect Jacksonville to the Interstate "system", of which we know I-95 is a very important artery...so that connection gets you to I-95. The spur to Wilmington is just based on necessity...once the Hampstead bypass is in, there is not that far to go...and the traffic volume continues to grow. Commuting to Jacksonville from Pender County has become common place.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Update on the Greenville Southwest Bypass.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14921

Quote:
The N.C. Department of Transportation has been busy working on the 12.6-mile Greenville Southwest Bypass in Pitt County since August, 2016. Once completed in summer, 2020, the bypass will be a four-lane, median-divided highway that can only be accessed through interchanges.

The new freeway that will begin approximately two miles south of Ayden on N.C. 11, wrap around the west side of Ayden and Winterville and end at the U.S. 264 Bypass west of Greenville.

The Greenville Southwest Bypass is expected to relieve congestion and improve safety in Greenville – particularly on Memorial Drive/N.C. 11 and Stantonsburg Road/U.S. 264 Business. The new roadway will also help improve travel time along the U.S. 264/N.C. 11 corridor

The local economy will also benefit from the highway's five interchanges, which have the potential to spur commercial and residential development.

DOT crews are currently working on eight bridges, at different stages of construction. The next step will be to widen N.C. 11 at the bypass tie-in, south of Ayden.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM

NCDOT is holding a public meeting in La Grange on March 22 to discuss three alternatives for upgrading the Jim Sutton Road/Willie Measley Road intersection on US-70 to an interchange. This will remove the only traffic light between Princeton and Kinston. Further details can be found here:

https://ncdot.publicinput.com/US_70_Lagrange

Old 03-16-2018, 12:52 PM

275 posts, read 330,412 times
Quote:
NCDOT is holding a public meeting in La Grange on March 22 to discuss three alternatives for upgrading the Jim Sutton Road/Willie Measley Road intersection on US-70 to an interchange. This will remove the only traffic light between Princeton and Kinston. Further details can be found here:

As a 22 year resident of La Grange I think option 2 is the least impactful. Option 1 destroys a lot of home on Jim Sutton and is needlessly complex and Option 3 destroys homes and gets rid the the La Grange Flea Market.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
As a 22 year resident of La Grange I think option 2 is the least impactful. Option 1 destroys a lot of home on Jim Sutton and is needlessly complex and Option 3 destroys homes and gets rid the the La Grange Flea Market.
Agreed.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:

Here is the press release:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14978

Quote:
State Transportation officials will hold a public meeting on Thursday, March 22, to show three proposed alternatives for converting the intersection of U.S. 70 and Jim Sutton/Willie Measley roads in La Grange into a highway interchange.

The project, which would replace an intersection that now has a traffic signal with an interchange with bridges and ramps, would improve safety and traffic flow.

The public can view the design alternatives and other materials about the proposal on the NCDOT website.

The meeting will take place from 5 to 7 p.m. at the La Grange Community Center, 410 E. Washington St., Interested residents may attend at any time during the meeting, as no formal presentation will be made. NCDOT representatives will be available to provide information and answer questions. The opportunity to provide written comments will also be provided.

The public also may submit written comments on the proposal through April 12. For additional information, contact NCDOT Division 2 Project Engineer Robbie Taylor at rltaylor@ncdot.gov or (252) 439-2806.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina