U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM

23 posts, read 37,193 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in this area that could offer some information?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:09 PM

11,902 posts, read 21,841,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-adventure View Post
Anyone live in this area that could offer some information?
Are you interested in visiting for the weekend or for a week? Or are you interested in living there full time? What else should we know about you? EG, single, married, kids, dogs, etc?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 PM

I apologize...that was a pretty vague post. My husband and I (both in early 40's) and 16 year old son are looking to replicate to either southern part of NC or Northern part of SC. We ride motorcycles, enjoy live entertainment, outdoors activities such as camping and fishing, restaurants/ pubs. My husband is a home builder but I have no set career.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,814,668 times
I'll start by talking about Kure Beach and Fort Fisher...Fort Fisher Recreation Area has a nice public beach access, the Fort, the Southport ferry and is a quaint little crossroad with a pier and some cool little places. Fort Fisher hosts a beach soccer tournament every June and is the location of the best NC Aquarium, IMO. Freddy's is right there and is locally known as one of the best Italian resturants in the Wilmington area...it is so out of place at the beach that it makes it cool.

Carolina Beach has a really nice State park...you can check out Snow's Cut Beach, use the marina from there or go hunting for wild venus flytraps. The Town continues to get better every year...it is lively, has festivals, weekly movie nights on the Lake, has a boardwalk that reminds of you of Myrtle Beach back in the 70's...and for the last couple of years has hosted a temporary "fair" with rides during the summer. Lots of cool bars...I recommend the Seawitch, which has live music (even Shag) and the legendary Fat Pelican...which is hard to describe but always memorable.

Based on your brief description, Carolina Beach may be a great place for you...it is still fairly affordable (compared to Wrightsville Beach) and while the High School isn't the best in Wilmington, it's nice and offers all the programs you need. Carolina Beach can be considered a bit redneck...but IMO, its good redneck.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
My husband and I (both in early 40's) and 16 year old son are looking to replicate to either southern part of NC or Northern part of SC.
There is plenty of house construction going on in Brunswick County, NC and Horry County, SC. I expect there will be more in the future as the baby-boomers retire.

I can't guarantee you will find jobs, but it sounds like you would enjoy the area. Both Kure and Carolina Beach are beach towns. There is also live entertainment and good restaurants in Wilmington.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Thank you for the info HP91!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the info HP91!
NP...here is a website that may give you some good info...BTW, I forgot to mention Britt's donuts on the boardwalk in Carolina Beach is perhaps one of the cooler places in NC.

Pleasure Island, North Carolina - Carolina Beach NC, Kure Beach, and Historic Fort Fisher

Here's a blurb on Britt's...my kids LOVE that place because of its simplicity...

MyReporter.com What is Britt’s Donut Shop?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:16 PM

We would prefer to rent a home with a garage...no HOA's...are these plentiful in Carolina Beach?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
We would prefer to rent a home with a garage...no HOA's...are these plentiful in Carolina Beach?
If you want to rent in CB, you'll have to get away from the water, because many units are used as seasonal rentals...toward the Elem school and Dow Rd (which is the "bypass" if you will to Kure Beach). If you can't find anything on the Island, there are larger neighborhoods within a few miles across the Snows Cut bridge. As for a garage, maybe some of the older units may have a detached, I have friends that own a nice house in Kure a few blocks of the main road and they dont have a garage.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
There are many tall duplexes with a garage on the bottom. There don't seem to be many HOA's but look for a place tagged "Non subdivision". Note that many of those all duplexes will be run as condominiums, so they will have some rules on what you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina