U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 AM

35 posts, read 84,057 times

Advertisements

I will be coming down to check the Wilmington area out in late June of this year.

I was wondering if the hotels along the Cape Fear riverwalk are safe? Is it a relatively safe areea? i would think so but just asking.

I am checking it out for future retirement (2 years out). I thought if any of you could tell me abou the general area you live in and why you like it/don't like it, that would be very helpful. I'm mainly interested in the areas just outside of Wilmington as I want to be close, but not in, the city. This way i could check them out when I'm there.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 AM

12,562 posts, read 23,838,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabeach View Post
I am checking it out for future retirement (2 years out). I thought if any of you could tell me about the general area you live in and why you like it/don't like it, that would be very helpful. I'm mainly interested in the areas just outside of Wilmington as I want to be close, but not in, the city. This way i could check them out when I'm there.
I think it would be more effective if you describe what you want in a retirement community. For example, are you a golfer, boater or fisherman? Do you require city amenities like theater, museums, good shopping? And so on.

We live in a small town about 40 miles outside Wilmington. We went there in order to be in a water-access community we could afford. We couldn't afford the size of house with water access that we wanted in Wilmington. We have the large house and a half-acre lot. The trade-off is we are too far from medical care.

You may find that Hampstead is a good fit, as it has has both golfing and boating communities. In the other direction, Leland has dozens of retirement communities to fit all tastes and budgets. The main thing we did not like about Leland is that most of the lots are very small and the houses are close together unless you can afford a custom house.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I'm mainly interested in the areas just outside of Wilmington as I want to be close, but not in, the city.
Do you also want to consider the Carolina Beach area? What is a realistic budget? Are you single? I'd like to suggest you consider some of the communities with Wilmington addresses like Tidalwalk, The Village at Motts Landing and Covil Crossing. Much of Wilmington is more like a large suburb rather than a city, and those neighborhoods are safe and designed for retirees.

Regarding the hotels in downtown Wilmington, the incidents I have heard about are fights that break out after the bars close at 2AM. I'd ask the hotel staff for recommendations on places to eat or drink.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:12 AM

2,767 posts, read 4,167,167 times
The main hotel downtown (right now) is the Hilton...its safe and fine and I'd recommend it...it is across the street from the Cotton Exchange and easy access to Market Street & Front Street. There is also a Best Western that is more affordable, but has less amenities. A 7 story Marriott is under construction on 2nd St. An Indigo Hotel and an Embassy Suites (both on the river and riverwalk) are set to start construction as soon as this summer. There are also a ton of B & B's in the Historic District...Front St Inn is nice, Graystone is highly recommended...here is another place that is on 2nd St that is local and been around for awhile...

Downtown Wilmington NC Hotel | The Wilmingtonian, A Historic Wilmington NC Hotel

I would recommend anyone visiting the Wilmington area to stay downtown to get a real feel for the area.

As to where to retire...it really depends on your budget and how much do you want to drive. Wilmington (the City) has golf course subdivisions, Historic Districts and Intracoastal Waterway homes...its all within the City. I recommend starting within the City and then moving out based on availability and budget, but many transplants start out never considering the City itself. NC cities are NOT about their suburbs...they are about the cities...and there is really no reason to live 30 minutes from work (unless your work is in the suburbs). Retirement is a bit different...but I'm not sure why folks want to spend so much of their retirement driving and paying for gas. Get water access, get warmer weather, get amenities that you use and get them as close to Medical & Shopping as you can, otherwise get in the car a lot.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM

Thanks so much HP91 and Goldenage1. I may consider the Carolina Beach area, we'll see.

But first I'll tell you more of what my situation is. First, I am single. As it stands right now, I want to rent during retirement, not own. And, I do want to live near public transportaion. Of course, I don't even know if that exists down in those parts! I'll have a car, but like the idea of easy access to public transport if I want it.

Being relatively close to restaurants, shopping and healthcare is important too, but I love the beach and want to be able to visit the beach easily. Not necessarily walk to the beach, but a short drive (20 miles or less) would be perfect.

I am also not real interested in "retirement" communities. I guess that could change if I saw one I liked, but I wasn't thinking along those lines.

Hopefully that helps narrow the area down some, but you two have already been very helpful. Thanks

Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
As it stands right now, I want to rent during retirement, not own. And, I do want to live near public transportation. Of course, I don't even know if that exists down in those parts!
The bus service is called Wave Transit, and it all goes over Wilmington and even out to the Waterford of the Carolinas and Brunswick Forest developments in Leland. The link is here: Bus, Shuttle & Trolley Transportation

I am not sure how often it runs or whether it is reliable.

On the whole, I believe you will be better off within Wilmington. There will be more rental options, and easier access to healthcare and interesting restaurants. I think the only areas you might want to avoid are the UNCW student-oriented rental places. I believe you could find a smaller one-story house to rent. I like the areas along Oleander, and Eastwood and near Hugh McRae Park, which seemed to have decent numbers of retirement-age people.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks so much goldenage1. I'll check those areas out when I visit. Also great to hear of public transportaion. I will have a car, but sure nice to know that I could find backup if necessary.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:03 PM

One quick question: what does anyone know about the location of the Hampton Inn in the Smith Creek area. it says its just "minutes" to downtown.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:06 PM

2,579 posts, read 3,119,088 times
if you lived in Carolina beach you could either
walk or ride your bike to the beach
from anywhere on the island.

everything one could need is on the island and public
bus service was just extended from Wilmington to
Carolina beach.

best of luck in your search.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:07 PM

85 posts, read 171,201 times
Iwantabeach, the Hampton Inn you're talking about is right off Market Street, in the front of a shopping center that has a Kohls and a Home Depot, and is roughly a 10-15 minute/6 or 7 mile drive to the downtown riverfront area. Definitely not walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>