U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:07 PM

32 posts, read 68,444 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are taking a trip down at the end of this month and are wondering if anyone can recommend a decent hotel. Still on the hunt for employment but want to be out of MA by July. Neighborhood recommendations would also be great
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 AM

2,768 posts, read 4,174,358 times
Decent is a relative term...also keep in mind the end of April the prices start jumping.

If you have points with someone, let us know....I usually recommend the Holiday Inn Sunspree at Wrightsville Beach, which can turn your trip into a mini-vacation. The Hilton Riverside is downtown and nice and convenient to everywhere...another mini-vacation. There are a bunch of chains mid-town...near the College and Market intersection.

If you are going to Brunswick Co, there are a couple of new hotels right on 17 in Leland...believe one is a Comfort Suites and is recommended. There is a nice Courtyard on the beach at Carolina Beach. If you want less expensive on the river, there is a Best Western that is perfectly adequate.

As to neighborhoods, it depends on if you are looking at schools or not...but generally speaking, depending on your price range, the overall goal IMO is to get a neighborhood that is conveniently located and as close to the water as possible...preferably with water access. For example...Turtle Hall off of Greenville Loop Rd is a nice neighborhood WITH water access...Masonboro Forest is a similar subdivision without water access (although it has some marsh views and ponds)...the Elem school situation is better at Masonboro Forest though....although they feed into the same high school.

If you have Elem age children, maybe you choose MF over TH, but if you don't you definitely choose TH, IMO.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:49 PM

Thank you I don't have any young children, my daughter is 19 and will be enrolling at Cape Fear CC. Basically looking for clean, friendly neighborhoods, nothing extravagant.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn826 View Post
Thank you I don't have any young children, my daughter is 19 and will be enrolling at Cape Fear CC. Basically looking for clean, friendly neighborhoods, nothing extravagant.
Price range?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM

431 posts, read 1,083,579 times
When I first came to Wilmington on vacation, I stayed at the Country Inns & Suites off New Centre. It was clean and reasonably priced. But keep in mind that it was also almost four years ago that I stayed there. As for where to live, I live near Ogden Park. It's a very nice area, plenty of houses for sale. It takes me about 15-20 minutes from here to get to CFCC depending on traffic.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 AM

It's becoming pretty frustrating trying to find my husband a job. He is a psychiatric tech (mental health counselor up here in MA). Have only seen a couple of positions on websites, applied for and haven't heard back. I really wanted to be out of here by July the latest but I'm thinking that's not a reality unfortunately. We have 6 months worth of rent saved up (we will rent first if my husband doesn't find a job soon) but I'm wondering how many landlords will accept that. I'm thoroughly frustrated!!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 AM

12,580 posts, read 23,877,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyn826 View Post
It's becoming pretty frustrating trying to find my husband a job. He is a psychiatric tech (mental health counselor up here in MA). Have only seen a couple of positions on websites, applied for and haven't heard back.
I think your husband's most likely prospect is at Brynn Marr Hospital. Brynn Marr Hospital Careers and Employment | Indeed.com

I know you did not want to be in Jacksonville, but he could commute. Brynn Marr is the best-known place for psychiatric and substance abuse treatment on the coast.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I think your husband's most likely prospect is at Brynn Marr Hospital. Brynn Marr Hospital Careers and Employment | Indeed.com

I know you did not want to be in Jacksonville, but he could commute. Brynn Marr is the best-known place for psychiatric and substance abuse treatment on the coast.
Renting in Hampstead is not a bad commute to Jacksonville or to CFCC.

I'm willing to bet that there are local applicants for job openings that are out there and that employers are looking for local references...once you get a job, you can always look at other options after the move.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 AM

My hope was that someone would rent to us without him having employment right away. As I said, we have 6 months worth of rent to put in an escrow. I'm pretty sure he could find a job in less than 6 months. My fear is, that we won't be able to find anyone to rent to us.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM

I think he actually applied at Brynn Marr. Also New Hanover. Haven't heard anything as of yet. I'm thinking it's because he has a MA address on his resume'. In any case, hoping we fall into some luck soon. Thank you all for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>