Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 PM

556 posts, read 798,210 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased a home in Jacksonville and will be moving down very soon. We did live on base there a few years back so I'm slightly familiar with the area.

My questions, Is it true that there is actual gang activity in JV? If so, what areas should be avoided? Is Jacksonville commons middle school as bad as great schools reviews say? We have an 8 and 6 year old so there's a little time to figure out if we need private school for middle.

Any other tips or info is apperciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
My questions, Is it true that there is actual gang activity in JV? If so, what areas should be avoided?
There is no evidence of gangs such as you might see in larger cities like Los Angeles or Washington, DC. That is, no grafitti on fences or buildings. I haven't see gang-style tattoos, do-rags, or whatever else they supposedly wear.

I have felt quite safe shopping in Jacksonville. There are a couple of areas of project housing, but there is nothing dangerous looking about it.

I can't comment on the Jacksonville Commons Middle School. I have a friend who teaches in a different Middle School, and she has minor complains about the kids. I suspect the parental comments about JCMS are a bit exaggerated.

If you want to look at private, there is an Episcopal school, St Anne's, nearby, and a few Christian schools.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-06-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 05:46 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
There is no real gang activity in Jacksonville. The crime rate is lower than most cities it's size. As far as middle schools, I have no personal experince, but do know that since it's a county wide school system you can request that your kid go to another school but you will have to provide transportation. New Bridge is the best middle school in the system. Also, note that all of the reviews are pretty old. Even the most recent one was someone making a review based off the previous reviews with no personal experience, add to that the fact you have another 3 years before your oldest hits middle school and it may be a whole different situation at that school by then. I'd say when your oldest is transitioning from 5th to 6th grade look at the middle schools then and make a determination.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the input!

Any opinions on the Carolina Plantations subdivision?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Any opinions on the Carolina Plantations subdivision?
It's a nice enough, but cookie-cutter style new development. The neighbors will be mostly Marine families, stationed there for a few years. From what I read, the elementary kids are bused to Carolina Forest. The location is convenient, but far enough away to be safe. The one disadvantage I see is the lack of shade trees because the landscaping is so new. It's going to be hot this summer.

Were you looking at the builders A. Sydes, Caviness&Cates or someone else?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Thanks! I feel the same way, its nice enough but new, bare, and cookie cutter.

Caviness&Fates. Any opinion/info on them?

Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Caviness&Cates. Any opinion/info on them?
They build in my neighborhood. They are not the greatest builder, and their houses are plainly styled and trimmed. But if it suits your budget, you can't ask for much more. C&C is local, so you may get better response to problems than with a larger builder.

A. Sydes is also local, and they build for the lowest-price tier of the market. They clear-cut the lot next to our development, so I am having problems with their style.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 PM

I thought their style and finishes were pretty nice and detailed. I'm more concerned with structure and sturdiness though. Are they known for their homes standing the test of time?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I thought their style and finishes were pretty nice and detailed. I'm more concerned with structure and sturdiness though. Are they known for their homes standing the test of time?
How long do you expect to be in the house?

As I have only been in the area 2 years, I can't comment. I sent you a DM. Perhaps you can get some answers from the builder's site manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina