Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 08:51 AM

32 posts, read 111,273 times

Advertisements

Hi

My wife and I are moving from an apartment complex in wilmington and are about to enter a dispute with the landlord over damages to the carpet. While i do not contest the face that the carpet was damage in a single room and deck I do have issues with the estimate. I am from out of state and not well versed with the tennant law and I am appealling to the CityData Community for help.

1) Are tennants allowed to comeplete the repair work themselves? The carpet is cheap polyester contractor grade. The quote I am getting for the agent I feel I could recarpet the entire apartment which is about 1200 sqft. I was at home depot and while they did not have the exact style and color they said the stuff was cheap contractor grade and was less than the lowest grade carpet he had which was $1.39 per sqft. The landlord was pretty insistent on doing the repair, I need to review the lease but they can have a stipulation that they must do all repair work of that nature?

2) If I construct an estimate of my own that is lower and resonalbe can I contest the estimate given. I only have part of the estimate but i feel they are going to try and run up the bill. I already got a partial estimate for some deck carpet which is only a rectangular 6x16 area at almost 500 dollars on stuff I know I have seen at about 33 cents a sqft at Home Depot. I know labor is where they can get you but they need to be resonable correct?

3) Any advice on where I could hunt down this carpet that seems to be the standard in apartments everywhere?

I wanna fight this I acknowledge damage but I do not feel its ok to rob me blind. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Let the courts sort it out and do what they order just be prepared to pay all legal fees, including the landlord's.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM

probably one of the least helpful statements I have heard in a while... You suggest I throw myself to the mercy of the court without any prep work on my end. You sound like a slum lord.

Anyone else with something worthwhile?

Last edited by koab1mjr; 06-09-2013 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,017 times
koab1mjr, 1st of all you are speaking in the abstract so far. There is information missing.

Obviously/apparently the landlord has your deposit and is threatening to not return it because of the damage to the carpet... how much is the deposit and how much are the damages to the carpet according to the landlord ? Without this info this is just so much speculation.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 AM

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am just aggravated as I never encountered such low brow tactics to collecta paltry sum in the scheme of things. The deposit is small and will certainlybe absorbed. I do not pay much do to my credit rating. In NC security depositscan be fraction of 1 months rent. I only have a partial estimate for one of therooms but since the quality of the stuff is so low i am surprised how much itcost to replace. As I stated earlier the estimates from a person with 30 plusyears of installation experience from home depot had the carpet priced at lessthan a dollar a square foot. I did the math the materials would be below 100dollars leaving almost 350 unaccounted for. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I was hoping that the scales were not tipped so much in the LL favor. Looking like I just need to move on. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 06-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Moving on with your life is your best bet.... chauk it up to "that's just the way it goes sometimes ".

Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
You damaged the carpet in the apartment AND on the deck. You paid a security deposit that isn't even enough to cover the cost to repair this damage. I fail to see how this is "favoring the landlord".

Old 06-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You damaged the carpet in the apartment AND on the deck. You paid a security deposit that isn't even enough to cover the cost to repair this damage. I fail to see how this is "favoring the landlord".

I am not disputing the damage and I do not really care about paying a FAIR price for the damages. The carpet is not of high quality and I would assume that I should be responsible for what an average person would pay to do the job. No one would seek to 1) overpay for the raw materials and 2) overpay for the installation of said materials. That is where this favors the LL. I do not think i am asking the world here just do not want to be ripped off. If I got to court saying the esimate is too high and here is my own, I will loose since I admit damages.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 AM

koab1mjr, well you finally made some sense of this fiasco in your last sentence.....

"FAIR" has NOTHING to do with it.

YOU damaged the carpet..... you cannot win..... case closed, so sorry, move on with your life !

Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
koab1mjr, well you finally made some sense of this fiasco in your last sentence.....

"FAIR" has NOTHING to do with it.

YOU damaged the carpet..... you cannot win..... case closed, so sorry, move on with your life !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Say you spilled red wine on a carpet in a bedroom and it needs to be replaced.

Say the landlord sends you an estimate for $3000, with his brother's company doing the work.

Would you just blindly pay whatever he asked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina