Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 08:46 AM

6 posts, read 6,080 times

Advertisements

I want to leave NY i have always wanted to without a second thought. That being said i have always thought of moving to scottsdale Az when the time was right , but now that i have been hearing not so great things i had second thoughts. Me and my cousin recently went on a road trip to visit a few states, we absolutely fell inlove with Morehead city/beaufort NC. We want to move there. But i know its one thing when your somewhere on vacay and its another living there. I am a hairstylist and would like to work somewhere where i cant be pretty successful and have a decent income. So what are your recommendations. Will this be a good area for me or is there better that i havent visited. I am 25, I dont really care about nightlife or anything like that . i love the relaxed lifestyle and how being there for a few days helped my health, skin and everything. Please help I have posted forums before and gotten no responses

P.S.- Are there areas that are wealthier, that would have higher end salon with a similar lifestyle? Or an area that wouldn't be too far away from something like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit23 View Post
P.S.- Are there areas that are wealthier, that would have higher end salon with a similar lifestyle? Or an area that wouldn't be too far away from something like this?
I'll give you a few observations. Many of the salons do seasonal work for people coming to the beach: hair coloring, nails, bikini waxing, spray tans, etc. I would plan to get yourself trained in some of these areas if you are not already. There would also be some work with people who want to get married on the beach. IMHO, there is a need for trained electrologists also.

The year-round people will have many retirees, so be prepared for dealing nicely with older ladies. There is also a lot of work shaving the heads of men in the Marines. I think in order to earn a "good living" you will have to flexible about the work, and be prepared to work on weekends.

The Wilmington area will have a more permanent, upscale population. Some of the wealthiest areas are around Landfall, etc, but it is a much more populated area, and I would not call it laid-back.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:37 PM

278 posts, read 576,972 times
I believe there are some upscale salons or the need for one is there. I know of several medical practices that have moved to the area over the last few years. My ob/gyn for one, they would not move their practices if there was not a customer/patient base there. And of course their business is year around. The doctors themselves is the start of an upscale salon.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,855,619 times
I don't think its a bad risk...there are a good number of retirees and wealthy people in the MHC/Beaufort area....I'm sure there is a high end salon in Beaufort. Would be a great place for that, IMO. May also consider a place like Swansboro.

New Bern may also not be bad....lots of retirees with disposable income and time on their hands.

Wilmington is very competitive...for that reason you may be better off in Beaufort or New Bern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina