Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 05:12 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,533,494 times

Advertisements

I'm from Hickory. Where is the best place to stay for a first time visit? I enjoy jogging, siteseeing, and history. I don't swim and I don't care about fishing.
Would be staying about three nights. Where is a good place to stay to start my visit so I can frequent most of the most popular spots... Wild horses, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Jockey's Ridge, must see sites for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Will it be just you and when do plan to visit? Im assuming you will be staying in motel?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 PM

Hi Sunny!
It will be my wife and two of my kids. Hopefully we will be going around the end of August.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM

And yes, hotel/motel

Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Ok, kids then definitely try to stay in Nags Head. Nags Head most develop area of OBX with lots of restaurants, basic shopping you find in regular city and mini golf also Jockeys Ridge is there.

Wild Horses are up in Corolla and you will need to do a tour to see them unless you have 4x4.
Corolla is Currituck light house you can climb and tour.
There also an Estuary about 500 ft before end of Hwy 12 on the left and it has about a mile long board walk to it from its small parking lot on left.
Going to Corolla from Nags head is about 10 minutes less than you would go from Hickory to Winston. Kill Devil Hills has Wright Brother Museum. A place you can stop on way to or from Corolla.

Cape Hatteras Light House is over an hour in other direction on Hwy 12.
As your heading towards it, there is Bodie Light House and museum before Bonner Bridge.
After the bridge first town is Rodanthe. If yall have seen movie 'Night of Rodanthe' it was shot here. The house Serendipity was moved further down safe from the tides.
Waves is next town mostly house rentals Avon is next town the Buxton that is where Cape Hatteras Light House is.

If there much of day left after your done you might head to Ocracoke
If you do or just want to ride the ferry its in Cape Hatteras but we learn dont eat there waiting for ferry. 20 bucks for a sandwich. It has a small museum and I would look at free stuff but judging from my family who went in they wasnt impressed.

Manteo has The Lost Colony Outdoor drama but it ends August 23rd.
It also has an aquarium something to do if it rains.
Manteo has lot of history and it always on my bucket list to check Roanoke Island out since that where the settlers came to.

My family had a reunion over Easter at Outer Banks and we stayed in Southern Shores and had to drive all the time to get stuff.

My nephews and nieces spent most of their time flying kites at Jockey Ridge.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-18-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
If you like history...there are a ton of options like SK said...but you may consider NOT going all the way down to Hatteras, its a full day trip down there.

Wright Bros memorial, Lost Colony production, Festival Park in Manteo, Currituck Lighthouse (if you head toward Corolla) are probably must do's...Aquarium in Manteo showcases natural habitat.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:45 PM

791 posts, read 1,154,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I'm from Hickory. Where is the best place to stay for a first time visit? I enjoy jogging, siteseeing, and history. I don't swim and I don't care about fishing.
Would be staying about three nights. Where is a good place to stay to start my visit so I can frequent most of the most popular spots... Wild horses, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Jockey's Ridge, must see sites for me...
Ramada Inn Nags Head. I stayed at this hotel and it was very good. The Indoor Swim Pool water was warm and the hot spa very hot. Best to book the hotel in advance.

Nags Head Hotel | Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach | Kill Devil Hills, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina