Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 05:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrmich View Post
Thank you for your thoughtful response. We are going back down next weekend and plan to visit some more places as well as ORP. Will be stopping in to RE and Porters Neck and Landfall in Wilmington. I am hoping to narrow down if I am more comfortable with city or small town. SJP is definitely out for me because it is too massive. Hope to share some thoughts after our trip.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed. If you have any more insights please share.
Looking forward to your impressions and thoughts on the developments!

Have fun with your research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM

25 posts, read 178,612 times
So back from our whirlwind weekend trip. My impressions, not meant to insult anyone , just trying to be helpful for others looking.
1. First stop Rivers Edge, the development was not for us. The style of home, the size, etc.
2. Next was Ocean's Ridge. We were very impressed. Loved the beach house and the affordability of the lots. Beautiful pool and gorgeous vista from their clubhouse. Biggest concern is that it is so close to South Carolina and I don't think I want to be that south. Also concerned that at 55, I would be considered a youngster there. (Don't hit me!!) I am also afraid that as a "big city girl" it would grow old quickly for us. But I haven't ruled it out. Need to do some more research.
3. Portner's Neck. About 10 minutes north of Mayfaire area. Again the look wasn't for us. Very old looking, not the houses so much although they were built with older style, but just the way it looks. Too much overgrowth, like tons of shade and no sun. Maybe we just hit it at the wrong time.
4. Landfall. I know I have heard lots of stuff about snooty people, but for location, you can't beat it. It is 15 minutes to downtown and airport, across from mayfaire and the movie theatre, tons of shops and restaurants, and 5 minutes to the beach. Also the most expensive and I wonder if we will feel like the poor cousin if we live there. There are some truly gorgeous palatial homes and some awesome views. One clubhouse allows you to eat lunch there in anything, but another one you need a collared shirt. Also at the pool they serve lunch and drinks. They have a very nice floor space in the sports complex that offers scheduled classes in yoga, pilates, etc. The only thing it really is missing is the sidewalks on the streets in the older sections and since it is mostly all built I don't know how easy it is to meet people and make new friends.
5. Went back to compass pointe and there is still something so friendly about it. Now in comparison I see how young it looks without the mature trees all over. The pool and clubhouse area are gorgeous. But it may be many many years before it can offer the amenities that the others currently have. And my biggest problem is its location. On 74/76 it looks like an industrial wasteland with nothing near at all.

Would love to hear some feedback and views from others that have been there. Again, no insult intended. Just my honest impressions for what it is worth. Everyone has different tastes and priorities. Based on mine, these were my humble opinions .

Old 08-13-2013, 08:07 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Would love to hear some feedback and views from others that have been there. Again, no insult intended. Just my honest impressions for what it is worth. Everyone has different tastes and priorities. Based on mine, these were my humble opinions .
Thanks for the very thorough report. I understand the reluctance to feel like the poorest resident of a very wealthy community like Landfall, as I would fee out of place there.

It sounds like you had the most positive reaction to Ocean Ridge. I certainly would not be worried about being the youngest person there.

Good luck with the decision, and have fun!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyPride View Post
I just moved to SJP and live by the Seaside gate. On the 4th of July it took us about 15 minutes to get to the beach club. The only problem is there was no parking. The good thing is that there is ample public parking. The parking situation at beach clubs are not uncommon. 90% of the time, parking is not a problem. Winding River has about a 1/4 of the parking spots at their beach club that SJP has. We had no problems parking on Sunday or Monday of the 4th of July weekend, although, Sunday was not a good weather day.
Try getting a decent parking spot down the Jersey Shore on weekends. "Fuggetabout it". We go to Avon by the Sea and on a normal Sat-Sunday around 4-5 blocks from the beach unless you get there at before 10 am. Sounds like I will be doing back flips when I get down there.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
So back from our whirlwind weekend trip. My impressions, not meant to insult anyone , just trying to be helpful for others looking.
1. First stop Rivers Edge, the development was not for us. The style of home, the size, etc.
2. Next was Ocean's Ridge. We were very impressed. Loved the beach house and the affordability of the lots. Beautiful pool and gorgeous vista from their clubhouse. Biggest concern is that it is so close to South Carolina and I don't think I want to be that south. Also concerned that at 55, I would be considered a youngster there. (Don't hit me!!) I am also afraid that as a "big city girl" it would grow old quickly for us. But I haven't ruled it out. Need to do some more research.
3. Portner's Neck. About 10 minutes north of Mayfaire area. Again the look wasn't for us. Very old looking, not the houses so much although they were built with older style, but just the way it looks. Too much overgrowth, like tons of shade and no sun. Maybe we just hit it at the wrong time.
4. Landfall. I know I have heard lots of stuff about snooty people, but for location, you can't beat it. It is 15 minutes to downtown and airport, across from mayfaire and the movie theatre, tons of shops and restaurants, and 5 minutes to the beach. Also the most expensive and I wonder if we will feel like the poor cousin if we live there. There are some truly gorgeous palatial homes and some awesome views. One clubhouse allows you to eat lunch there in anything, but another one you need a collared shirt. Also at the pool they serve lunch and drinks. They have a very nice floor space in the sports complex that offers scheduled classes in yoga, pilates, etc. The only thing it really is missing is the sidewalks on the streets in the older sections and since it is mostly all built I don't know how easy it is to meet people and make new friends.
5. Went back to compass pointe and there is still something so friendly about it. Now in comparison I see how young it looks without the mature trees all over. The pool and clubhouse area are gorgeous. But it may be many many years before it can offer the amenities that the others currently have. And my biggest problem is its location. On 74/76 it looks like an industrial wasteland with nothing near at all.

I can't tell you how many times I have read something about Landfall and the comments about "Snooty" or "Snobbish" people....I will probably sound like I am a martian from outer space but what does this mean?? I am assuming Landfall is somewhat like a retirement community like all the other places. Most people in 50's--60's etc like all of us. I'm sure they wear shorts and golf shirts like everyone else. What is it that they actually do, walk around with their Checkbooks open???
My wife says this a lot and it just cracks me up. Oh we can't go there, its all Rich people!!! I keep telling her they put on their pants the same way the rest of us do so why would anyone care about how much money, what type of car, how large their house is etc......

I am oblivious to what people have and what they don't have........I'm not picking on anyone who feels this way other to say, "They put on their pants and shoes the same as you do"!!!!!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.....

Old 08-14-2013, 09:16 AM

805 posts, read 2,004,454 times
Bravo Biscy.... what you stated is quite true...... you have hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head. "They" say the same thing about St James and as many, MANY have testifed it simply is not the case. As you said there are "rich" folk in every town and community that people are coming from and it is no different down here. AND.... not to put anyone down, BUT.... I do not see how one can determine that people in a community are "snooty and / or snobs" by driving through for a few hours and not having dinner / drinks and conversation with each member of that community.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:40 AM

Ok, good, glad someone agrees with me. Maybe my Jersey City upbringing but money and how people act whether or not they have money never impressed me. Actually I laugh at people who feel they need to impress others by fancy houses or fancy cars etc....Everyone spends there money differently. I've me people when we lived in Atlanta who had 6000 sq foot homes, 2 Mercedes and had furniture just in their bedroom and 1 couch and a tv in their Family room. From the outside someone would assume they are rich but no go on the go go. Just a phony trying to impress....

Fall is coming to the Garden State, supposed to go down to 58 tonight. Might have to break out all our "Fur" coats tonight!!!!

Enjoy Peeps!!!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 PM

25 posts, read 178,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonecreek67 View Post
Bravo Biscy.... what you stated is quite true...... you have hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head. "They" say the same thing about St James and as many, MANY have testifed it simply is not the case. As you said there are "rich" folk in every town and community that people are coming from and it is no different down here. AND.... not to put anyone down, BUT.... I do not see how one can determine that people in a community are "snooty and / or snobs" by driving through for a few hours and not having dinner / drinks and conversation with each member of that community.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have read something about Landfall and the comments about "Snooty" or "Snobbish" people....I will probably sound like I am a martian from outer space but what does this mean?? I am assuming Landfall is somewhat like a retirement community like all the other places. Most people in 50's--60's etc like all of us. I'm sure they wear shorts and golf shirts like everyone else. What is it that they actually do, walk around with their Checkbooks open???
My wife says this a lot and it just cracks me up. Oh we can't go there, its all Rich people!!! I keep telling her they put on their pants the same way the rest of us do so why would anyone care about how much money, what type of car, how large their house is etc......

I am oblivious to what people have and what they don't have........I'm not picking on anyone who feels this way other to say, "They put on their pants and shoes the same as you do"!!!!!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.....
What you both have said is very true. Just to clarify. I am not saying they are snooty. That is what has been stated or insinuated in this forum from the things I have read. Based on what I have seen so far, Landfall is my first choice because for me the location far outweighs everything else. But it is a concern about how easy it is to meet people, given what I have read. I hope they are wrong.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:28 PM

We understand...

You'll do fine. Just smile and say, "Hi" !!!

Works every time..................

Old 08-14-2013, 05:37 PM

383 posts, read 891,886 times
Default Jersey Shore

Hi Biscman,

I hear you about the Jersey Shore parking. I used to go to Point Pleasant and the parking was horrible. So glad I can just go to the St. James beach club.

Pony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina