Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynicole View Post
I will be working as a doctorate in occupational therapy and my fiancé as a supervisor of a company that is national. We would like a lively area but not necessarily in a large city.
Charleston has a pretty large healthcare industry, being the home of the Medical University of SC, so it sounds like your best bet. However, the liveliest part of the city is the peninsula (downtown) and it's not cheap. The upper part of downtown is undergoing revitalization with some new residential development that's more affordable, but you'd want to post in the Charleston forum here to get an idea of which parts are safest and still have quick access to the heart of historic downtown.

It's right across the state line in Georgia, but you might also want to add Savannah to your short list. It has less professional opportunities than Charleston, but probably just as much or a little more than Wilmington. It definitely has the entertainment/bars, nightlife, and restaurants you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM

3,060 posts, read 4,793,226 times
I would not suggest Myrtle Beach, as it is really a huge tourist destination. Not much of a "community" feel to it.

Charleston is great if you can swing it...can be an expensive place to live though. Bigger city than Wilmington.

Wilmington has better beaches than Charleston, has a good downtown area and all the shopping you really need.

I think those are the only 3 options that really fit your criteria in NC/SC.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:08 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,854,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I would not suggest Myrtle Beach, as it is really a huge tourist destination. Not much of a "community" feel to it.

Charleston is great if you can swing it...can be an expensive place to live though. Bigger city than Wilmington.

Wilmington has better beaches than Charleston, has a good downtown area and all the shopping you really need.

I think those are the only 3 options that really fit your criteria in NC/SC.

Based on what?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,718,061 times
A look at a map will show you that NC really only has one "city" near the beach--most of NC's coastal area is rural which is part of the attraction--Wilmington. SC has Charleston. There is also Savannah, GA. But the biggest "real city" on the coast is the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area mentioned earlier. You should post in the Virginia forum about prospects there.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,661,210 times
I think the overall best place on or near the coast is Washington.

Awesome little river town. Small town charm. Twenty five minutes to Greenville. A 1/2 dozen pretty good little restaurants. Fishing, yakking, and lots of bike riding areas.

Not too far to beach, easy weekend trip, Raleigh easy drive.

No it's not Wilmington or Charleston, but...

Good luck.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:23 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,733,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynicole View Post
We would like a lively area

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I think the overall best place on or near the coast is Washington.

Awesome little river town. Small town charm. Twenty five minutes to Greenville. A 1/2 dozen pretty good little restaurants. Fishing, yakking, and lots of bike riding areas.

Not too far to beach, easy weekend trip, Raleigh easy drive.

No it's not Wilmington or Charleston, but...

Good luck.
Washington is not a lively area.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM

3,060 posts, read 4,793,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Based on what?
Well here's what you get in the Wilmington area beaches...

You have within 10 minutes to 45 minutes of Wilmington....

Topsail Island (3 beach towns...fairly quiet)
Figure 8 Island (private)
Wrightsville Beach (high end)
Masonboro Island (natural)
Carolina Beach (fun, can drive out on beach)
Kure Beach (low key, family atmosphere)
Fort Fisher (aquarium, Fort, huge public beach, can drive out on Beach)
Bald Head Island (private)
Oak Island (affordable)
Sunset Beach (family oriented)
Holden Beach (family oriented)
Ocean Isle Beach (newer, high end)

Just the sheer number of beaches, plus there is something for everyone....I don't think its even debatable which city has better beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina