Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:52 PM

120 posts, read 251,870 times

Advertisements

We moved from MA about 10 months ago. We rented a condo in Wilmington and ended up buying in BF. We moved in December, and we love it. I am excited about the great expansion with all of the new and future builds. As for infrastructure handling the crowds, they have plans to add additional facilites, i.e. pools, as the neighborhoods progress. So far, we haven't had any crowding when we go to use anything.

It doesn't make sense to me to use the argument that BF will become too crowded, so choose Wilmington, instead. A crowd is a crowd is a crowd. If you don't want to be around a populous area, live in the country. If crowds are ok with you, choose a nice area where values are holding or going up, as well as an area that provides a comfortable way of life that appeals to you.

No one can predict the future, so unless God happens to let you in on His master plan for our economy, you have to make your choices as best as you see fit. If BF feels right to you, go for it!

I believe the Southport containers that have been mentioned are on the lot across from Wal-Mart. The expansion of the port in Southport was recently voted down, so hopefully that is the last of that argument.

We have never heard the train. We do hear an occassional airplane en route to ILM.

And BTW, an northerners, we haven't ever, EVER, felt unwelcomed anywhere in Leland, Wilmington, or any of the beach areas. Everyone is so warm and friendly to us. I consider us very blessed to be here amongst you fine southerners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:52 PM

279 posts, read 702,410 times
We are in the Raleigh area now, looking to relocate to Leland in about a year and half. Easy transfer with husband's company.
How are Leland schools?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:34 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudy68 View Post
We moved from MA about 10 months ago. We rented a condo in Wilmington and ended up buying in BF. We moved in December, and we love it. I am excited about the great expansion with all of the new and future builds. As for infrastructure handling the crowds, they have plans to add additional facilites, i.e. pools, as the neighborhoods progress. So far, we haven't had any crowding when we go to use anything.

It doesn't make sense to me to use the argument that BF will become too crowded, so choose Wilmington, instead. A crowd is a crowd is a crowd. If you don't want to be around a populous area, live in the country. If crowds are ok with you, choose a nice area where values are holding or going up, as well as an area that provides a comfortable way of life that appeals to you.

No one can predict the future, so unless God happens to let you in on His master plan for our economy, you have to make your choices as best as you see fit. If BF feels right to you, go for it!

I believe the Southport containers that have been mentioned are on the lot across from Wal-Mart. The expansion of the port in Southport was recently voted down, so hopefully that is the last of that argument.

We have never heard the train. We do hear an occassional airplane en route to ILM.

And BTW, an northerners, we haven't ever, EVER, felt unwelcomed anywhere in Leland, Wilmington, or any of the beach areas. Everyone is so warm and friendly to us. I consider us very blessed to be here amongst you fine southerners!
What an excellent post, so good to hear. We're also from MA seriously thinking of making NC our new home (daughter works at New Hanover hospital). We're going to be looking at Magnolia Greens, Compass Pointe for sure, may now add Brunswick Forest based on your post. Also, glad to hear you weren't scorned for being northerners (I was referred to last winter as a yankee terrorist - hopefully it was in jest).

Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
you are talking about the real estate market in wilmington. I am referring to the real estate market in places like DC, NY, and NJ. that is where people are getting 60% of their asking price. when that get that offer, wilmington becomes less attractive. I sold my condo in DC for $265,000 two years ago. right now, they are listed at $140,000. if I was only able to sell my condo for that much, I wouldn't have moved here. also, since the job market here is so horrible and non diverse, I am being forced to look elsewhere for work. wilmington is good for college students and retirees. that is it.
Your words ring of accuracy. As a retiree who just bought a home at the beach I hear your words well.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West_ny View Post
Seems I read someplace recently that the movie theater is on hold (as are many things in many locations because of overall economy)

Brunsiwck Forest is nice, but it's so large and so undeveloped at this point. It likely will take ten years or more to complete. Personally I'd rather be closer to the coast like in the St James, Palmetto development area as from there closer to the beach. From Leland it's maybe 20 miles to beach and add another five miles from Brunswick Forest. Someone told me from Leland the closest beach is Wrightsville which may be true, but I wouldn't be too excited about that.
We just looked in Leland and for us it was to far from the beach and the overall area in spots left something to be desired.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,753 times
This is a general response to everything I have read here. We have lived in BF since April after looking throughout the Wilmington area (and others) for the previous 4 years. We love it here. We retired from the DC area after living there for 30 yrs. We looked at St. James and Southport areas which are lovely but other than golf, there isn't much else in the way of culture, restaurants, shopping, etc. there and it is a min. 40 min drive just to Wilm. We are (door to door) 12 mins from downtown Wilm., 12 mins from the airport, 25 mins to ALL major shopping areas and Wrightsville beach. If you come from any major metropolitan area there is no such thing as a traffic problem here. We did look at the other area communities, Magnolia Greens, Waterford and Compass Point (all worth checking out) but felt the best overall value was in BF. Even though only 670 of the planned 4500 homes are built in BF, our section of the community looks and feels complete with 2 finished parks, dog park, miles of trails, complete fitness center and golf course. The HOA fees are reasonable considering they include total lawn/yard maintenance and community benefits. A brand new comprehensive medical office center has just opened here & we have found a wonderful internist and dentist. The entire community which was conceived in the "boom" times of the early part of the decade and opened in '07 included a complete commercial portion that is planned to be in the "front" of the community which has been slowed by the economy as you might expect. Everyone we have met, be they "locals" or transplants like us, have been exceedingly warm and welcoming. This does feel like paradise.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 15,031 times
Hi OHSheepdog - So happy to read your post. We, too, are from DC area (Bethesda) and plan to soon build a house in BF. Everyone we meet in BF seems to love it, and people in the area are so nice. Never heard a word against us Yanks!

Right now we're trying to research incorporating geothermal into our house plans. Can you tell me roughly what we can expect in terms of monthly electric bills (we'll be about 3,100 sq ft)? Thanks

Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted Travelers View Post
Hi OHSheepdog - So happy to read your post. We, too, are from DC area (Bethesda) and plan to soon build a house in BF. Everyone we meet in BF seems to love it, and people in the area are so nice. Never heard a word against us Yanks!

Right now we're trying to research incorporating geothermal into our house plans. Can you tell me roughly what we can expect in terms of monthly electric bills (we'll be about 3,100 sq ft)? Thanks
We've only been here since end of April and although this was a hotter than normal summer (so we are told) the highest electric bill we had was $232. There are a lot of variables as I'm sure you are aware. It sounds like you are building in Walden or on the golf course. There are 2 homes there that have solar panels so you may want to check with those owners to see if it is working for them.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 AM

50 posts, read 132,226 times
In reading over all the posts here, I have not seen anyone discussing schools. I will be moving (retiring) soon and moving with my daughter, son-in-law and 2 children. What reputation do the schools have? And, where are there communities with young families?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM

My wife is a retired teacher/administrator from a very highly ranked school system in the DC area. She is currently volunteering in a New Hanover Co. school and has talked to several educators in the area. Her feeling is that the schools are doing a good job with the funding they have which is not nearly as great as the system that she retired from. Brunswick County which has undergone a huge sudden change in population over the last 15 years is probably a little behind the curve because it takes time to adjust budgets, build facilities, acquire and train administrators and staff. If you are coming from a system located in an affluent established area, it stands to reason that there is more money for books, supplies, teacher training etc. However, we have seen great schools flourish in poorly supported environments and just as often, the opposite. The principal and staff as well as the level of parent involvement at any given school can GREATLY influence the quality of teaching taking place. Talk to parents in the area you are thinking about living in and pay visit to the school(s). It doesn't take much research to get a clear idea of whether or not a school is working well. I don't know any stats, but the great majority of people who have moved down to the Wilmington area in the last 10 years have been at or near retirement and home prices/sizes/designs/amenities have been built (BF, Waterford, Landfall, Porter's Neck etc.) with that target market in mind. However, almost every community has some young families in it. Also, there are developments of smaller more economical homes in both Brunswick & New Hanover Counties which would attract a much higher percentage of families with young children. A realtor could easily tell you where to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina