Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 10:27 AM

37 posts, read 61,944 times

Advertisements

...the Surf City, Topsail Island area?

Specifically I am curious about options for

Organic produce at the local supermarkets. Which store has more choices and better quality?
Is organic dairy offered....milk, yogurt, eggs
How about raw nuts and seeds like you can get at whole foods? My local Food Lion has more to offer than I expected so if I move I am wondering if that will be the case in that area.

Is there a Farmers Market in the summer time?

How about holistic health and wellness options, like acupuncture and massage? Where and how far would I have to go for those services?

All of that is offered near where I live now.....in Kure Beach but I am considering moving up to the Surf City area to get more house and land for my money. I realize I will be trading off some conveniences down here. I think this area has all of those things I’ve mentioned above because there is such an influx of people from other areas. I am just beginning my research into Surf City.

I know Wilmington isn’t that far but wondered if there are some of these products and services locally. Also, what about finding some of this in Jacksonville. I have yet to explore over there. I will but just haven’t gotten there yet. I just moved 1100 miles down here and am getting acclimated.....slowly but surely.

I appreciate any input offered, especially from those living there year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 04:37 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrsealife View Post
Specifically I am curious about options for

Organic produce at the local supermarkets. Which store has more choices and better quality?
Is organic dairy offered....milk, yogurt, eggs
How about raw nuts and seeds like you can get at whole foods? My local Food Lion has more to offer than I expected so if I move I am wondering if that will be the case in that area.

Is there a Farmers Market in the summer time?

How about holistic health and wellness options, like acupuncture and massage? Where and how far would I have to go for those services?
The Food Lions have some organic produce, probably much like you see in Kure Beach. I think there is a limited selection of organic dairy at the Food Lions. You probably need to go to the New Bridge Organic Market in Jacksonville.

There is no organized farmer's market except the one in Jacksonville. Some farmers sell out of their yards: blackberries, corn, zucchini etc. However, don't expect it to be organic. The farmers are the old families who have been there forever.

You could get massage at some of the beauty salons, but I have never seen acupuncture advertised. The Yellow Pages show several acupuncturists in Jacksonville and Wilmington, but none in Surf City.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:49 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
Now that there is a Harris Teeter at Surf City, there should be more organic options, although they're pricier than Food Lion.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:21 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
There is Jacksonville Oriental Medical Center which does Acupuncture. It's really just a very small one-woman business but the service there is fine GoldenAge answered everything else beautifully!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:57 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Now that there is a Harris Teeter at Surf City, there should be more organic options, although they're pricier than Food Lion.
Thanks, I forgot the HT. I use it only on senior discount days! I believe they do carry organic milk and eggs.

There also some raw nuts and seeds available in the Food Lions-- I just bought almonds.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:33 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
You are in the wrong area of the state to find what you want. I see it far more in the mountains than either the coastal or piedmont area. Of the chains, only Earth Fare and Whole Foods stock a lot of organic foods.

You can buy a lot of organic stuff on Amazon with no charge for shipping after $25. Of course you will have to locate your own organic farm to buy fresh vegetables, however from what I have seen at various farmer's markets, I don't see the sign organic on many booths.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Food Lions have some organic produce, probably much like you see in Kure Beach. I think there is a limited selection of organic dairy at the Food Lions. You probably need to go to the New Bridge Organic Market in Jacksonville.

There is no organized farmer's market except the one in Jacksonville. Some farmers sell out of their yards: blackberries, corn, zucchini etc. However, don't expect it to be organic. The farmers are the old families who have been there forever.

You could get massage at some of the beauty salons, but I have never seen acupuncture advertised. The Yellow Pages show several acupuncturists in Jacksonville and Wilmington, but none in Surf City.
New Bridge Organic Market, Jacksonville, NC

Also they don't do accupuncture, but this palce does have the best massages. 4.9 average review on google reviews from 12 reviews. Rated 5 star everywhere else, albeit with less reviews.

Oriental Massage Jacksonville NC couple massages shiatsu - Swedish, Deep Tissue Massage

https://www.google.com/search?q=orie...ient=firefox-a

Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM

278 posts, read 577,091 times
I have a high level of farming background, in my experience an older farmer uses less chemicals and pesticides than younger ones. Ask them what they use on their garden. It is very difficult to get certified as organic, been there done that, too.

Substainable farming is a more obtainable level, and likely practiced by most farmers market type growers.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 AM

37 posts, read 61,944 times
Appreciate all the info. I know it's hard to find what I am after but being knowledgeable about all things local helps a lot.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:58 AM

413 posts, read 701,606 times
There is an organized Farmers market just down Rte 17 in Porter's Neck at Poplar Grove. It's held on Thursdays, late Spring through early Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina