Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM

37 posts, read 61,941 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a house for sale in Hampstead/Surf City area that is on an unpaved private road. I wasn’t sure I’d want a house on a dirt road, since I’ve lived on one before and wanted to get away from that. The road also appears to be shared by several houses. My realtor is finding out about any agreements about how the road is taken care of by the homeowners that use it.

In the meantime, I’d like to get some input about how things generally go in that area. My previous experience was not a good one, so I’d like to hear from others if there is a norm or is it just a crap shoot depending on who shares in the responsibility.

For example, my previous home was on a driveway shared by 4 houses. The shared portion was probably 800 – 1000 ft. long. Only two of us ever paid any money to maintain it and the other two homeowners benefitted from that but never invested a nickel. This included snowplowing as well as grading and being in an extreme northern climate it needed constant winter plowing and yearly grading.

Also at what point does the town step in to take over a road and/or pave a road? I understand that until a year or so ago many roads where I live now were unpaved. Although I am sure those were town roads, I am not sure the roads I am asking about are.

The neighborhood is near Surf City and the roads are Heron Cove and Cordts Lane. Anyone familiar with the area and circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 04:29 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrsealife View Post
In the meantime, I’d like to get some input about how things generally go in that area. My previous experience was not a good one, so I’d like to hear from others if there is a norm or is it just a crap shoot depending on who shares in the responsibility.
I don't know how things generally go. However, I live in Onslow County (near Surf City), and the private dirt roads seem to have been there forever. Don't expect the county to take over road maintenance. I see the aerial view of Cordts Lane, etc, and the roads don't look bad.

Unless the Realtor finds a specific, enforcable agreement among the homeowners, I would skip that deal.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Assume, no help whatsoever. But find out beforehand. I would be surprised the realtor did not know the answer to such an obvious (and important) question.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:25 AM

37 posts, read 61,941 times
Cordts Lane isn't bad at this time, but one wash out and that changes quickly. Heron Cove currently has a big washout. Since the road is accessible from both ends, homeowners could be less inclined to pitch in.

I don't expect a realtor that isn't the listing agent (and he isn't) to know everything about all listings. Why/how would they?

I am inclined to pass. An agreement is only enforceable if you take people to court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina