Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 22,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Hi! We also, are from South Jersey (Mount Laurel) and we purchased a lot in Ocean Ridge Plantation. I have several friends who also purchased lots there - plan to move in about five years - we also, Melissa, have one more child who is now a senior at UofMaryland. I will retire from my job in four years, and can't wait to go!!! PS - what town are you from??
Hi there! We are from Laurel Springs (the old Laurel Springs), near Voorhees...hoping to be able to make the move next fall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 12:49 PM

605 posts, read 1,261,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaJ5 View Post
Thank you Pony! I like the looks of the location as well, and Myrtle Beach airport is not too far away for it to be a viable option for my husband's travel. Does anyone have inground pools in St. James or do they just use the club? Also, does the HOA prevent fencing in your yard? From North Jersey you know what I mean about the long grey winters...what is your experience now with the dreary months after Christmas? Do people still get outside a lot? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks, Melissa
Melissa - I have seen private pools in SJP - I have seen them where we are, too, building in future in ORP - I have not seen large fences in ORP - I know they have a strict HOA. My husband travels quite a bit for a living working for a large software firm - and we are age 60 - and he will continue to work (not me) when we move in 4 years or so. Myrtle as well as Wilmington have great schedules for his East Coast territory. Get an address for a place in SJP or where ever and see the pools in the satellite shots. Glad to help you in any way!! Best of luck!!

Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Regarding the airport situation, we realize that no area will have every single one of our checkpoints, so that is the one we are most flexible on. We'd rather have the house, the location near the beach, the more temperate seasons, etc., and give a little on the proximity to an international airport. Many of his trips are to Alaska anyway so he usually has to take at least 3 flights anyway. Thanks! Melissa
I agree with jerseyj - I think the prettiest beach (10 min away and has a beach house for ORP) is Sunset Beach.....

Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 22,361 times
Okay, these are very helpful suggestions. Wondering if anyone considered northern Florida (St. Augustine areas) and then decided on NC? I think NC has what we need, although the tax situation in Florida would be nice! I realize that the more year-round temperate weather is found further south, but the reason we're starting our search in NC is that is seems like a place people put down roots and stay. I'm hoping to attract our kids to our future home to eventually either spend the summers with us or put down their own roots. Any thoughts on the comparison?

Old 10-01-2013, 02:54 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,067,130 times
Quote:
Okay, these are very helpful suggestions. Wondering if anyone considered northern Florida (St. Augustine areas) and then decided on NC? I think NC has what we need, although the tax situation in Florida would be nice! I realize that the more year-round temperate weather is found further south, but the reason we're starting our search in NC is that is seems like a place people put down roots and stay. I'm hoping to attract our kids to our future home to eventually either spend the summers with us or put down their own roots. Any thoughts on the comparison?
Melissa, We spent a lot of time in the panhandle of Florida (Destin), had a condo there years and years ago. More recently, in the Tampa area where In-Laws lived for 20+ years. Never quite got used to the oppressive heat and humidity, and we lived in Mississippi! One of the things that drove us nuts about Florida was the traffic and the drivers. Man, NJ is bad but Florida is worse!

We also like the fact that there are some seasonal changes in Brunswick Co. Putting up Christmas decorations in balmy weather just didn't seem right (to us). Some people love the weather in Florida, my F-I-L sure did.

When we go down to Brunswick our daughter and her friends, frequently, join us. Myrtle Beach is close enough if they get bored in Brunswick.

Good Luck with your search!

Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Melissa - We wanted something within 'driving distance' to our grandchildren who live in Maple Shade, NJ. Plus, I want to keep some of my current doctors from University of Pennsyvania, etc. Driving North once every 6 weeks or so to see kids/grandkids is very do-able for us. Being in Florida would be too hard. Plus - if my daughter can land an enviornomental sustainability job in The Triangle in NC - she'd be a lot closer. Son is going to be an air traffic controller so I can't guess where he will wind up. A lot of people we met were 'half backs'....they retired to Fla. and then decided to move 1/2 way back....not wanting the humidity of Florida, etc. you can always private message me anything, too. Good luck. I know it can be a long process of decision making...

Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,097,289 times
Quote:
Wondering if anyone considered northern Florida (St. Augustine areas) and then decided on NC?
We looked at central Florida, because hubby wanted a lot of land, like 20 acres. However, I would go crazy without some cold air to clear my mind. Eventually hubby decided he wanted changing seasons also. We also have several of his brothers in North Carolina, and having family nearby is a big plus, whatever the weather.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,315,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdcohen View Post
I am also from Northern Jersey and was curious about the weather year round and also the hurricane situation. I expect the hurricanes to have an affect, but New Jersey also encountered them so I am open minded. I love to swim, is the weather mostly on the warm side, say 300 days a year? The people, do they object to Northerners, or is it no problem,.
Thanks
Your last hurricane in NJ was a bit of an anomaly but NC gets hit a lot more often. I think the last pretty bad one was Irene in ENC. Lots of trees down. There was one which brought flooding which devastated some areas in Greenville, but that was about 15 years ago or so. They made some improvements to drainage since then. Hopefully all the over development in some areas won't catch them off guard when the next big one comes.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 AM

383 posts, read 892,842 times
The lack of a sales tax in Florida is very attractive,but the cost of insurance, climate and distance from NJ brought us to NC. We did strongly consider Hilton Head, SC, but since we would own and be part-time residents, SC hits you with a higher tax rate. A home with a $1,800 tax bill in NC would be around $6,000 for a part-time resident in SC. That was just too steep of a difference. I also like the climate of NC over Florida. Although NC may be hit by an occasional hurricane, it is usually (but not always) a Cat 1 storm.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,699 times
Default Average living costs in St. James Plantation

I plan to build soon in St. James and was wondering if anyone had rough monthly or yearly costs for the following. House will be approx. 2900 Sq. ft.

1. Heating/AC
2. Water
3. Home Insurance and any other fixed costs I missed

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina