Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 04:34 PM

10 posts, read 22,330 times

Advertisements

Hello! When our last little anchor er, child, leaves the nest next year for college we are leaving south Jersey for an area in Coastal southern NC that fills our needs instead of the needs of our kids. Selfishly speaking, we know we have some time to finally pick an area where schools aren't an issue. My husband can work anywhere, as his business takes him all over the world. I write from home, so I can work in my kitchen. I need safety, since I'll be alone often with my very handsome pal Mugsy, our Border Collie. We want a single family home, large enough to entertain all our new friends in (hopefully!), pretty walking areas for Mugs and I, and a beach nearby. We love boating, fishing, good restaurants, and enough of a sense of community that someone would maybe need to borrow some sugar or an egg from me from time to time. I'm used to a very close knit small town, but we're tired of the long ugly winters. The world is too wonderful for me to die in the same town I was born in. Being in our mid-forties, we don't really fit the profile of retirees, we just want to enjoy this next phase. We are outdoorsy and have been to the Carolinas several times. Southport, Morehead City, and Wilmington look nice to us. St. James Plantation also looks nice. Is there an organic grocery store anywhere near these places? I'm not a big shopper or mall girl. I really appreciate any guidance. I've heard a lot of Jersey transplants live in the Carolinas and would really love to join their ranks next year. Thank you! Melissa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 05:28 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaJ5 View Post
Southport, Morehead City, and Wilmington look nice to us. St. James Plantation also looks nice. Is there an organic grocery store anywhere near these places?
There is a Whole Foods and other organic groceries in Wilmington. The major grocery chains carry some organic food in every town. St. James would be great if you have the budget for it. It is gated and very safe. If you don't need a gated community, there are many other "plantations" in Southport and Leland. Please do some reading in the forum, as there have been dozens of discussions on which community is best.

Regarding your husband's travel, the Wilmington airport offers connections to Charlotte and Atlanta. Getting out of Morehead City is a bit harder, as the Jacksonville airport is much smaller.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 PM

Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that he wants to be relatively close (not more than an hour) from an international airport. Plus with the kids scattered throughout the country at college, this is a necessity for visits. Never lived in a gated community. Our budget is in the high $400's area, and we're not opposed to a gated lifestyle. We also need a large fenced in yard for Mugsy, so tiny plots of land would be out. Thank you!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that he wants to be relatively close (not more than an hour) from an international airport. Plus with the kids scattered throughout the country at college, this is a necessity for visits. Never lived in a gated community. Our budget is in the high $400's area, and we're not opposed to a gated lifestyle. We also need a large fenced in yard for Mugsy, so tiny plots of land would be out. Thank you!
In the Eastern NC area, Wilmington is the only city which will really fit this requirement. Wilmington airport offers flights to several different large hubs: Charlotte, DC, Phil, and maybe a couple others.. Greenville has been talking about offering a flight to DC for years but it never happened. The only current flight is to Charlotte.

Since you don't have to worry about schools that really adds some flexibility to your options. You may also want to consider areas in South Carolina or Fl.. Lots of folks up North envision NC's winters as mild and pleasant. But in reality, they can be cold, bleak, and quite damp!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 PM

383 posts, read 892,014 times
Hi Melissa,

I am also from NJ (Northern Part) and I just built in St. James. I am in my early 50's and I love St. James. I like being between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC, yet kind of off the beaten path. You can definitely do Saint James for under $500K. There is the typical Lowes, Wal-Mart and Lowes Foods/Food Lion close by and the large big box stores are 45 minutes away in Wilmington. PM me if you have any questions.

Pony

Old 09-27-2013, 06:24 AM

Thank you Pony! I like the looks of the location as well, and Myrtle Beach airport is not too far away for it to be a viable option for my husband's travel. Does anyone have inground pools in St. James or do they just use the club? Also, does the HOA prevent fencing in your yard? From North Jersey you know what I mean about the long grey winters...what is your experience now with the dreary months after Christmas? Do people still get outside a lot? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks, Melissa

Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Oh, yes, I should have mentioned that he wants to be relatively close (not more than an hour) from an international airport.
wilmington's airport calls itself an "International Airport", but I don't think you can book a direct commercial flight to another country. For that you'd want Charlotte (which has about a dozen international flights) or Raleigh (which connects to Heathrow).

Wilmington does connect to Atlanta, though, which is the biggest airport in the world.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:18 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Brunswick County sounds perfect for you...although it can be a bit of a drive for your organic needs...it does offer a great growing season with local produce.

The 211 corridor from Supply to Southport was ripe for development before the economic downturn...a 2nd bridge has been built to Oak Island and a bypass for the Dosher Cutoff is not far off. This entire corridor (including St James) will see big changes over the next 10 years, especially in terms of commercial development. Midway Rd provides access to the county government and a back way to get to Highway 17 and the new hospital. I would recommend anywhere in or near that corridor.

As some have said, this gives you options of 2 airports in Wilmington and Myrtle Beach to fly from and provides plenty of beach access on Oak Island (or one of the other beaches...Holden, Ocean Isle...).

Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM

383 posts, read 892,014 times
Hi Melissa,

There are a few people with pool, but most use the pools at the clubs. If you do not want to join the clubs, you can use the pool at the beach club. The POA does allow fences, but they have to be a specific height. Many people have them. Since I have not been in St. James during the winter, I do know know the atmosphere, but I would thing people get outside. The temps there are much better than NJ and there is not the ice and snow. I will let you know after December, when I go there for a week.

Regards,

Pony

Old 09-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Thank you everyone, keep the advice coming! We are planning a trip down there in January to scout out a few locations. Any advice anyone has on locations near the beach, weather, etc., is very appreciated. I have a feeling people there are very welcoming, as I've found it really depends on your own attitude and how you approach a new community. Looking forward to doing more research and planning for our big move. Listed our shore house today for sale, so we are definitely moving on this path and I am pretty excited. Thanks, Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina