U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,423 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into relocating to NC or SC this January. I will be going to school as a cosmetologist or Medical Sonographer. (I have looked into many schools and different areas, I am just stuck on where to go). I am curious what towns are great to live in, within 20-30 minutes of the beaches, have a good night life, good employment, many restaurants, a warm friendly community(for the most part), bike riding, walking dogs, beautiful views (possibly country areas), good big malls. Anything would be helpful and any opinions. I am coming from a small town from western PA and just looking for a new and fun adventure in life. Thanks in Advance(:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 06:03 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,843,106 times
There aren't any near the coast. Perhaps the Raleigh or Charlotte area. Unemployment is high, move to where you find work.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 AM

11,898 posts, read 21,818,703 times
Wilmington has cosmetology at the Cape Fear Community College. It has all your requirements except for a good employment picture. There is about a 9% unemployment rate and low wages compared to the cost of housing.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,809,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
There aren't any near the coast. Perhaps the Raleigh or Charlotte area. Unemployment is high, move to where you find work.
Really? You ever lived in a city near the coast? Sounds like a generational statement that has been perpetuated an is not accurate.

OP, there are a lot of nice places to live in NC, its a very diverse state...

In reality Wilmington is the most desired address in NC. It's just not that easy to find a job because many folks choose to live there.

Besides that you can choose a small town like Manteo...or Beaufort, which was recently listed as the best small town in America. Swansboro is a nice town. Morehead City and New Bern are both nice towns with more retiree's.

And finally Greenville has medical opportunities and is a rapidly growing city with lots of young people. It is also one of the most affordable places to live in NC. It is about 85K now, but functions as a town of about 250K because it is a regional hub. Pitt Community College in Greenville is one of the largest Comm Colleges in the state (I believe 5th largest). As someone mentioned Cape Fear in Wilmington is also a huge Comm College (4th largest I think) with lots of programs and a riverfront campus.

I recently had my hair cut by a woman that moved to Wilmington from Burlington and said she's never going back. She said Wilmington actually had many more opportunities because it is growing so much.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:03 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,843,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Really? You ever lived in a city near the coast? Sounds like a generational statement that has been perpetuated an is not accurate.

OP, there are a lot of nice places to live in NC, its a very diverse state...

In reality Wilmington is the most desired address in NC. It's just not that easy to find a job because many folks choose to live there.

Besides that you can choose a small town like Manteo...or Beaufort, which was recently listed as the best small town in America. Swansboro is a nice town. Morehead City and New Bern are both nice towns with more retiree's.

And finally Greenville has medical opportunities and is a rapidly growing city with lots of young people. It is also one of the most affordable places to live in NC. It is about 85K now, but functions as a town of about 250K because it is a regional hub. Pitt Community College in Greenville is one of the largest Comm Colleges in the state (I believe 5th largest). As someone mentioned Cape Fear in Wilmington is also a huge Comm College (4th largest I think) with lots of programs and a riverfront campus.

I recently had my hair cut by a woman that moved to Wilmington from Burlington and said she's never going back. She said Wilmington actually had many more opportunities because it is growing so much.
Please post the article about Wilmington being the most desired "address in NC". Desired according to whom? I'm not a fan of it. I like cleanliness, niceness, great schools, great roads to travel on, etc. Wilmington doesn't fit the bill for me. It's a poorly planned town, has horrible roads, not clean, schools aren't great, lacks shopping (no huge malls) etc......although it is trying to get better.

I'm wondering if you even read OP's requirements??? If so, why would you even mention small towns such as Manteo, New Bern, Swansboro, or Morehead? They aren't real cities and they certainly lack the shopping (large mall), employment, nightlife, good restaurants, etc. that the op was wanting.

Greenville, like Wilmington, is improving over time. But I wouldn't want to live there. No thank you.

There aren't any real cities in Eastern NC. That is the reality of it. Wilmington is the closest but it doesn't fit all of the op's requirements. And not everyone loves it there, sorry to break it to you!

The comment about your friend from Burlington made me chuckle. Have you ever been to Burlington? It's a dump. The only positive thing about it is the access to a real highway....which gets you out of there ASAP.

The reality is that it doesn't matter where you live if you are having to eat Pork and Beans and Ramen Noodles. I'll say it again, the unemployment rate in Eastern NC is high. Cost of Living is not cheap, move to where you find a job......a job that covers all of your bills. Otherwise you will be miserable!

Last edited by escapenc; 11-21-2013 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: forgot to add

Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Please post the article about Wilmington being the most desired "address in NC". Desired according to whom? I'm not a fan of it. I like cleanliness, niceness, great schools, great roads to travel on, etc. Wilmington doesn't fit the bill for me. It's a poorly planned town, has horrible roads, not clean, schools aren't great, lacks shopping (no huge malls) etc......although it is trying to get better.

I'm wondering if you even read OP's requirements??? If so, why would you even mention small towns such as Manteo, New Bern, Swansboro, or Morehead? They aren't real cities and they certainly lack the shopping (large mall), employment, nightlife, good restaurants, etc. that the op was wanting.

Greenville, like Wilmington, is improving over time. But I wouldn't want to live there. No thank you.

There aren't any real cities in Eastern NC. That is the reality of it. Wilmington is the closest but it doesn't fit all of the op's requirements. And not everyone loves it there, sorry to break it to you!

The comment about your friend from Burlington made me chuckle. Have you ever been to Burlington? It's a dump. The only positive thing about it is the access to a real highway....which gets you out of there ASAP.

The reality is that it doesn't matter where you live if you are having to eat Pork and Beans and Ramen Noodles. I'll say it again, the unemployment rate in Eastern NC is high. Cost of Living is not cheap, move to where you find a job......a job that covers all of your bills. Otherwise you will be miserable!
Some of the highest value houses in the state are in Wilmington. Waterfront property all over the place. Ever been to Landfall? Are you calling that a dump? Landfall is IN Wilmington. Ever been on a boat and rode up and down the Intercoastal Waterway? Ever been on Figure 8 Island? So yes, it is desired by those that have money to afford such things...which makes it desired.

I have a friend that built a beautiful waterfront house that has practices in Raleigh and Wilmington and moved his family to Wilmington...why would he choose to live in Wilmington OVER Raleigh if its such a nasty place.

Again, Wilmington is the most desired address in the State. 12th street in Wilmington? No...but that's not all Wilmington is.

The only thing that ENC doesn't have the OP listed was a large mall, depending on your definition...Independence Mall has over 100 stores...Mayfaire has about the same and is an outdoor shopping center. Throw in the Cotton Exchange downtown, which is one of the more interesting shopping centers in the state.

I live in Wilmington and my kids go one of the highest ranked public Elementary (non charter) schools in the state. And there about 4 others in Wilmington just like it. The Middle and High Schools, for the most part are on par with those in other large cities in the state...again, non-charter. I have a beautiful wooded park within walking distance to my house that is connected to a multi-use trail. There are multiple other beautiful parks in Wilmington.

I never said everyone loved Wilmington, what I disagreed with is that Raleigh and Charlotte are the only options in NC. That's a myth that in-stater's like to promote to folks out of state. Go where your job takes you...or where you want to live where you'll be happiest. But Wilmington and IMO, also Greenville meet the criteria. Beaufort/Morehead City meets the criteria except for shopping. Swansboro is not far from there. Manteo not only has great restaurants but also has an outlet mall across the bridge...plus lots of local shopping. If you want to go to Tiffany's, go to NYC.

Last edited by HP91; 11-21-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM

1,964 posts, read 2,803,401 times
There are some areas of Wilmington that appeal to affluent retirees or those in NC with significant disposable income for a second home at the beach. However, it lacks the industrial base to support a large, affluent middle class. Most of the jobs are low end service jobs, unless you are a successful realtor in the area who sells swampland to unsuspecting Yankees.

As for the other areas that were mentioned, picture rural, small towns with a large proportion of the population impoverished or on government assistance to get the basics. Many families have been there for generations and are aloof from outsiders, even other Southerners from different parts of the region.

If I were looking to start school and looking for fun and new lifestyle from a small town in PA, I would be afraid that ENC would only offer more of what you are trying to get away from. Maybe even worse. Since this is when you don't have to worry about COL that much, focus on those places which offer exciting lifestyles. If I were the OP, I would be in Miami, Las Vegas, NYC, or L.A. in a heartbeat!! Good luck!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:01 PM

34,533 posts, read 31,827,695 times
Quote:
Well being that she's considering the entire Carolina coast, Charleston fits the bill here in practically every way.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
There are some areas of Wilmington that appeal to affluent retirees or those in NC with significant disposable income for a second home at the beach. However, it lacks the industrial base to support a large, affluent middle class. Most of the jobs are low end service jobs, unless you are a successful realtor in the area who sells swampland to unsuspecting Yankees.

As for the other areas that were mentioned, picture rural, small towns with a large proportion of the population impoverished or on government assistance to get the basics. Many families have been there for generations and are aloof from outsiders, even other Southerners from different parts of the region.

If I were looking to start school and looking for fun and new lifestyle from a small town in PA, I would be afraid that ENC would only offer more of what you are trying to get away from. Maybe even worse. Since this is when you don't have to worry about COL that much, focus on those places which offer exciting lifestyles. If I were the OP, I would be in Miami, Las Vegas, NYC, or L.A. in a heartbeat!! Good luck!
I think that is a drastic change...I am very familiar with PA and its small town nature. I do agree that ENC can be similar...which is also why I think it makes sense...even though it can be similar, it also is growing tremendously, which is unlike PA...and since the OP wanted the "coast", it seems like a natural fit. The NC coast is seeing an influx of folks from Florida and California because they are looking for a bit "slower" pace than those large metro's...and the cost of living is much less.

There are some that are denying the growth of the coast of NC...yes, there aren't as many middle class jobs at your disposal, but that is more due to the smaller market than the unavailability of them. There are big companies along the coast, there are jobs, but you don't have people job jumping and leaving those jobs because they are satisfied with their job and specifically where they live. The folks that live along the coast aren't complaining about the lifestyle, amenities, etc...its outsiders that can't find their niche in the market or have unreasonable expectations that are complaining. But the reality is that people want to live along the coast and the coast continues to grow. Many of the people in Wilmington "choose" to live in Wilmington and could live anywhere...I know a CEO of a company in Oregon whose family lives in Wilmington (while he travels), many folks start their own businesses. But the idea that the coast doesn't offer the amenities, safety, good schools, etc...is just false. Some folks on here have a "sour grapes" mentality because they apparently couldn't make it work. It's not for everyone, you have to find or create a job or not need one...but in reality that goes for anywhere.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:40 PM

748 posts, read 1,501,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erin176 View Post
I'm looking into relocating to NC or SC this January. I will be going to school as a cosmetologist or Medical Sonographer. (I have looked into many schools and different areas, I am just stuck on where to go). I am curious what towns are great to live in, within 20-30 minutes of the beaches, have a good night life, good employment, many restaurants, a warm friendly community(for the most part), bike riding, walking dogs, beautiful views (possibly country areas), good big malls. Anything would be helpful and any opinions. I am coming from a small town from western PA and just looking for a new and fun adventure in life. Thanks in Advance(:
Try Myrtle Beach near the Market Common, you will love it! Park right across the street. Everyone bikes here, there is like 8 malls, lots to do and you are within biking distance of the beach! You honestly can't beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina