Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,529 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband has accepted a position near the coast and we will be relocating to one of the following areas in the next few months. Wilmington, Castle Hayne, Rocky Point, or Hampstead. I have a 15 year old son who loves hunting, big trucks, cowboy boots, fishing, basically a country boy. I also have an 11 year old son who will pretty much fit in anywhere that has baseball.

Can anyone give me advice on what high school you think my 15 year old would fit best in? I hate moving him this close to graduation and want to make sure we find somewhere he fits in. I would like to avoid any cliquey areas.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 11:30 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
I would classify three New Hanover County schools (Laney, Hoggard, and Ashley) as being "suburban" with New Hanover being "urban". They are larger type public schools.

Pender County is much more rural than New Hanover County. Pender and Trask High School's are smaller, around 700 students, while Topsail is almost 1,100. I would classify Pender and Trask as being rural schools and Topsail more suburban, with a bit of a beachy feel. There are going to be more transplants at Topsail and to be honest is much less diverse than the other two. Topsail plays sports against the New Hanover Schools, while Pender and Trask play against the more rural schools to the north of Pender Co. Topsail's class size is double what Pender and Trask are.

Pender Co is much more rural, but I would visit the Pender Co schools before making a decision...go meet the Principals and get a feel for the schools. Topsail is rated very high, but he may feel more comfortable at one of the others.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Just from the OP's description of the son's interest in hunting, I think he would be more at home in Rocky Point or Castle Hayne, rather than the beach towns. There is hunting in the huge Holly Shelter preserve north of 17 and east of 210.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,529 times
Thank you, we are headed that way for the holidays and will spend Friday checking out some areas. I found a few nice houses for rent in the Avendale community off of 210 between Rocky Point and Hampstead. Although they would be in the Topsail school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina