Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,263,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
An Eastern Carolina hospital that's seen recent cutbacks and layoffs says it is searching for a partnership with another hospital or health system.

Lenoir Memorial Hospital says it's hired a Chicago-based financial advisory firm to help find a partner for the hospital.

Earlier this fall the hospital announced it was cutting jobs and services because of another year of expected red ink.

The hospital eliminated 85 positions. Sixty of those were through early retirement or voluntary departures, while 15 employees were let go.

LMH says it expects confidential discussions with a number of potential partners to begin in the spring and that process to take at least a year to complete.

"We recognize that the way healthcare is provided today - where it is offered, how it is paid for, how it is measured - is changing dramatically," said Ray Collier, chairman of the Lenoir Memorial Board of Directors. "We believe now, when Lenoir Memorial is financially strong, is the right time to look for a strategic partner," Collier added. "We can evaluate our choices from a position of strength and allow ourselves time to conduct a thoughtful and thorough review on our own terms."

Asked if the hospital would entertain a possible merger or purchase, a spokeswoman said they were nowhere near that yet.
Lenoir Memorial Hospital Seeking Strategic Partnership With Other Hospital Or System

It will be interesting to see what occurs. Vidant is the obvious frontrunner. Would a Triangle hospital (WakeMed/Duke/UNC) make a play? Or one of those out-of-state for profit puppy mills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,862,234 times
Vidant runs Duplin County on the other side of Lenoir County...you would think obtaining Lenoir would help its existing network.

I have wondered where Carolina East fits into the whole hospital network thing...long run. New Hanover has been courting the Charlotte based system and I don't see them going to Vidant. And I think the out of state crowd is realizing its not easy to work in the ENC market...think Washington County or Martin County.

I would think Vidant would continue to expand...if it doesnt, it may be susceptible long term to other competition in its region....for that reason, Lenoir may be an important acquisition to not lose to someone else.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:42 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,263,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Vidant runs Duplin County on the other side of Lenoir County...you would think obtaining Lenoir would help its existing network.

I have wondered where Carolina East fits into the whole hospital network thing...long run. New Hanover has been courting the Charlotte based system and I don't see them going to Vidant. And I think the out of state crowd is realizing its not easy to work in the ENC market...think Washington County or Martin County.

I would think Vidant would continue to expand...if it doesnt, it may be susceptible long term to other competition in its region....for that reason, Lenoir may be an important acquisition to not lose to someone else.
Vidant recently lost out to Wilson (Duke) and Johnston (UNC). Another possible hospital system is Novant Health. But it seems like Novant trys to stay in higher income areas, which Lenoir definitely isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina