Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 PM

14 posts, read 26,355 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm Tara from Ohio,young mom of 3, first time on the forum I've never been to north Carolina but something about the pictures is screaming my name! So I need help finding a beautiful small town preferably by the coast... I need the ocean air, sand between my toes, warm weather all year round! Right now in Ohio we have a nasty cold blizzard with two feet of snow!

Anyways I do have a low income, right around 25,000$ a year so I do need something nice that I can afford, and a place with low crime rate if none at all! I want a safe place to raise my kids!

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaOf3_2014 View Post
Anyways I do have a low income, right around 25,000$ a year so I do need something nice that I can afford, and a place with low crime rate if none at all! I want a safe place to raise my kids!
There are plenty of small towns along the coast that are reasonably safe. What job skills do you have to offer?

I'd suggest you do some preliminary research by reading through the forum for similar threads, as there have been dozen of people with similar ideas of moving here. Also read this thread on taxes: What's the tax situation like in NC?

Then I suggest you do some research on the towns where you could find a job, eg Jacksonville, Morehead City, New Bern, etc. Please be aware that there are few industrial businesses here. The office jobs here will have a lot of competition from military spouses. The available jobs are mostly from service and tourism businesses. Many jobs like waitressing will have seasonal peaks in the summer and nothing in the winter.

Then plan on doing a preliminary scouting trip to see if you would really like it. BTW, it is not warm all year. Currently the temp is in the low 30's and it is raining heavily.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Is there some subliminal message in every picture of Eastern Carolina, that tells people that the living is cheap, the air is clear, and there's no crime at all?

If Eastern Carolina was really a Shangri-La, wouldn't there be a whole lot more people here?

Expectations of earning $25k a year with children isn't going to get you anywhere here but into some Section 8 housing, an EBT card, and Medicaid for health insurance.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:47 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Is there some subliminal message in every picture of Eastern Carolina, that tells people that the living is cheap, the air is clear, and there's no crime at all?
I blame the Nicholas Sparks novels and movies. Plus the leftover memories of the Andy Griffith Show.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaOf3_2014 View Post
I need the ocean air, sand between my toes, warm weather all year round!
It's North Carolina, not Florida.

It's very cold right now. Not snowing, but certainly not "warm weather all year round". The predicted HIGH for Wilmington today is 38. Low of 20. If you want warm weather year round keep heading south or aim for California.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:34 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

If Eastern Carolina was really a Shangri-La, wouldn't there be a whole lot more people here?

Expectations of earning $25k a year with children isn't going to get you anywhere here but into some Section 8 housing, an EBT card, and Medicaid for health insurance.
Well....let's keep in mind that ENC was sparsely populated for a long time because of its rural nature. Prior to 1990 there were no interstates east of I-95....most land was either farms, small towns or the coast. The coast never developed much because of 1)geography-the way its situated and 2)the aforementioned roads.

While NC in general has seen a population explosion in the past 25 years, it has really been the last 15 years that it has happened along the coast. Wilmington and Greenville are in the Top 10 largest cities in the state. And Brunswick Co and Pender Co have been some of the fastest growing counties in the country. Dare County has seen massive development in 2nd homes.

While there are some major upgrades still to be made, ENC is really a ripe area for development and progress, because it has natural resources...and undeveloped (or easily redeveloped) land. Its an emerging market.

That being said regarding the OP's question, an emerging market may not be the best place for a single mom with 25K and 3 kids...I agree with that. You may want to move south...but a place like Southport (which fits your description) is just going to be too expensive. I would direct you more to a town like Whiteville, which has a good community to it, is a much more affordable option, is 45 minutes or so from the coast. But if you don't know anyone there you have no support system...that is going to make it hard. You may be best situated to stay in Ohio if that is where your family is...thing is many people don't realize how hard it is to travel back to where they are from for visits....can you even afford that?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:59 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
OP: There are definitely some pretty, small towns on the coast. But unfortunately, Coastal Living + Cheap isn't something that goes hand in hand. Based on your name (being a Mama of 3) + being low income, this combination unfortunately isn't going to afford you a decent lifestyle on the Coast.

I think there is a misconception that the South is cheap. I had the same misconception before I moved to NC from MO (husband was in the Marine Corps). Sure, it's cheaper than the Northeast or California or the Pacific Northwest, but North Carolina is not overly affordable compared to other states. You'll probably find that Ohio is actually cheaper.

With that said though, even though I'm not NC's biggest fan, I admit the beaches are exceptionally beautiful. However, as others have said, it's not something that is appealing year round. The Winters aren't crazy, but it does get cold, even on the Coast, and it does snow sometimes.

For a warmer, year round climate, I would actually suggest looking even further South.

What kind of job will you be looking for if/when you do relocate?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 AM

51 posts, read 82,825 times
I just had to add to this in saying that Ohio is DEF not cheaper than NC. I've found some gorgeous houses for rent anywhere between 850-1100. In Ohio in a decent area you will not find a house for that & if you do its a dump. The only cheap housing in Ohio is in the ghetto. The only thing I liked better about Ohio was no tax on food.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,423,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I blame the Nicholas Sparks novels and movies. Plus the leftover memories of the Andy Griffith Show.
So true.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
For the money that you anticipate having available, this is generally what is available.

And it would probably be located in a park like this:

Images courtesy of AHI: United States » Mobile home parks, how they got here: Part 2, Neither homes nor mobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina