Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 09:18 PM

3 posts, read 17,991 times

Advertisements

I seen the movie Safe Haven and fell in love with Southport, NC. I'm now planning on visiting in a few months and thinking about moving there. I've never even been to the state so I'm not sure what to expect. Have you seen the movie? Is Southport in real life like Southport in the movie?
Is rent affordable? Is finding a job hard? Will people accept me? (I'm a black 22 year old female).

Any information, good or bad, is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
I'd research beyond a movie before I bought the plane ticket. I believe there's also a Coastal NC forum to post the question in.

Southport is quaint, but I'd also call it relatively high dollar these days.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Yes, Southport is attractive, and the scenes are all real places, but some are on private land. Naturally, all the houses are not moss-draped cottages. The cheapest rental I found was at Oak Island for $800/month, while others in Southport are $1150-1300/month. Here's an article: Picture-perfect town stars in ‘Safe Haven’ - Travel - The Boston Globe

With a town of only 3500 people, the job opportunities are naturally limited. Please research the job opportunities before planning a move.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:35 PM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
One advantage of old Southport is that it sits on relatively high ground, compared to Oak Island. In other words, Southport is where it is for a reason. If you rent, you might not care. But if you buy, this could make a difference given recent changes in flood insurance.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
You will probably have to look at Wilmington for job opportunities and be prepared to commute.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM

277 posts, read 436,241 times
Might as well look at New Bern too. It's just as charming and you might actually run into Nicholas Sparks... as he is all over town. Has a lot more for a 22 year old while still having that small town feel.

Last edited by BullGoodBearBad; 01-08-2014 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 AM

35 posts, read 63,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet491 View Post
I seen the movie Safe Haven and fell in love with Southport, NC. I'm now planning on visiting in a few months and thinking about moving there. I've never even been to the state so I'm not sure what to expect. Have you seen the movie? Is Southport in real life like Southport in the movie?
Is rent affordable? Is finding a job hard? Will people accept me? (I'm a black 22 year old female).

Southport itself is really nice. Alot depends on your education level and field. Three major companies here (in Wilmington) : Corning, GE, PPD, and also the hospital. The movie industry here is quite up and down and there are tons of restaurants which are seasonal for the beach/summer season. There is (in Wilmington) an artsy culture, a student culture, a good-ole-boy culture, and a out-of-towners-with-vacation-homes-and-money culture, among others.

Look on Google maps street view for the real Southport.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet491 View Post

Depends on what kind of job you want...there are certainly seasonal jobs in the Southport area...Oak Island (next door) swells to 25,000 during the summer. There are tourism/hospitality type jobs, but more of a small scale nature as opposed to big scale Myrtle Beach.

Southport is a fairly safe area, so I would not be too concerned with that as a young single female. Housing may be a concern, there aren't a ton of rentals.

It's not a bad place to take a chance on, however do keep in mind that it can be a pretty white area.

You may find yourself ending up in Wilmington because of more opportunities and more people your age...the Southport/St James/Oak Island/Bald Head Island area has a lot of retiree's.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:33 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,390 times
Southport is beautiful,the movie was accurate. The main concerns are jobs and social life for a young single woman. What type of work experience do you have?As was said previously, Wilmington would be more likely for employment and social activities. Black,white,that's not an issue.You'll love your visit here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina