Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,435 times

Advertisements

I am a New Yorker looking to relocate to Wilmington in the near future. I have been looking for a counselor position. I am a recent graduate of an accredited Master's clinical mental health counseling program and a Nationally Certified Counselor. If anyone knows of any opportunities it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthegood44 View Post
I am a New Yorker looking to relocate to Wilmington in the near future. I have been looking for a counselor position. I am a recent graduate of an accredited Master's clinical mental health counseling program and a Nationally Certified Counselor. If anyone knows of any opportunities it would be greatly appreciated.
1. Does the job have to be in Wilmington? There would probably be many more opportunities if you were open to other areas such as Raleigh, Durham, Greenville, Fayetteville, etc.

2. Do you have job experience? Do you have any specializations such as substance abuse, elderly or juvenile populations, PSTD etc. It is not my field, but it seems to me that emphasizing any work experience will get you a lot further than degrees or certificates. There are many returning military veterans in there area. I see a need for substance abuse treatment and services to the growing population of retired people.

3. The usual advice for job seekers is to network. I assume you are using professional networks, your university placement office, friends and colleagues etc.

Good luck. North Carolina is a good state to live in but the employment picture is not great and there will be much competition from local graduates.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-22-2014 at 09:33 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthegood44 View Post
I am a New Yorker looking to relocate to Wilmington in the near future. I have been looking for a counselor position. I am a recent graduate of an accredited Master's clinical mental health counseling program and a Nationally Certified Counselor. If anyone knows of any opportunities it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Are you licensed? You need one for most counselor positions, and you have to be a resident to get one. If you have a NY license you might be able to get reciprocity. You might be able to get a provisional license until you can get here to apply for the full one.

You may want to consider further training in CBT, or DBT. Agencies are using evidence-based modalities.

Have you done a google search?

Old 02-23-2014, 05:59 PM

172 posts, read 414,471 times
With your job skills you would probably have an easier time finding work around either Fort Bragg (Fayetteville, NC) or Camp Lejeune (Jacksonville, NC, which is on the coast).

Old 02-23-2014, 07:32 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Jacksonville is not on the coast. It's close.

Go to usajobs.com. to see what jobs are avaiable on the post or the base. And again, you will need a license.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Jacksonville is not on the coast. It's close.

Go to usajobs.com. to see what jobs are avaiable on the post or the base. And again, you will need a license.
It's true that Jacksonville is not on the beach, but one could live in Swansboro or Emerald Isle. Or the OP could live at Topsail Island or Hampstead if he/she wants to be closer to Wilmington. That's a longer commute to the Naval Hospital side of the base.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM

3 posts, read 2,435 times
Thank you guys so much for your responses. I am fresh out of school and am looking for a supervised position so that I can get licensed (takes about 2 years of supervised work time). I am taking training courses and attending conferences to widen my range of practice. We are looking to move as close to the coast as we can get so I will definitely check outTopsail Island and Hampstead. We are planning on moving by June if I do not have a position and hopefully it will be easier to find a position if I am a resident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina