Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 01:10 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,308,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I posted a few paged back, that the majority of the overall crime occurs in like 15-20 blocks.
The people who commit the crime have cars.. and do travel to where more victims can be found..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
That's why there was a mass exodus to Winterville. No amount of denial will change this fact.
I musta missed that.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I musta missed that.
Selective perception I reckon..

Old 03-12-2014, 12:59 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Quote:
The people who commit the crime have cars.. and do travel to where more victims can be found..
So that is why Cary is a hotbed of criminal activity!

Sorry, your logic doesn't hold up. I'll trust our Chief over a random internet poster.

Quote:
But he says most of the recent violent crimes, like home invasions or shootings, involved drugs or gangs. He described them as Bad Guy vs. Bad Guy and said they don't necessarily mean the general public is in danger.

"You’re not at risk of being in your home and having masked gunmen come into your house,” Chief Aden says. “There was a drug nexus in 99.9 percent of those."
Greenville Police Chief says city is safer than you might think - WNCN: News, Weather for Raleigh. Durham, Fayetteville

And here is the actual tweets I was referring to, from the Chief.

Quote:
Very interesting statistic that holds true for 2010, 11 and 12- 50% of Part 1 crimes occur in only 1.5%(about 22 blocks) in Greenville.

75% of Part 1 crimes occur in only 4.5% (about 65 blocks)
100% of part 1 crimes occur in 20% of our City.
https://twitter.com/chiefaden/status/417287909642096640

Part I crimes are divided into in two categories: violent and property crimes.

Violent crimes: aggravated assault, forcible rape, murder, and robbery
Property crimes: arson, burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft

Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM

47 posts, read 152,599 times
Quote:
I posted a few paged back, that the majority of the overall crime occurs in like 15-20 blocks.
All right around the University... yes?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdiesel View Post
All right around the University... yes?
No, go west.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
So that is why Cary is a hotbed of criminal activity!

Sorry, your logic doesn't hold up. I'll trust our Chief over a random internet poster.

Fine, join the denial party. It won't change anything. Your comment about Cary isn't relevant since Cary is far enough from high crime zones to have a buffer.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:09 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,656 times
Quote:
Fine, join the denial party. It won't change anything. Your comment about Cary isn't relevant since Cary is far enough from high crime zones to have a buffer.
Yet you didn't respond to the Police Chief's statement, the actual non-sarcastic part of my post.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Yet you didn't respond to the Police Chief's statement, the actual non-sarcastic part of my post.
He turned things around from what was an abysmal situation. Given his position, he would also have an incentive for saying "there's no reason to panic,folks"..

Old 03-15-2014, 02:34 AM

232 posts, read 474,982 times
I majored in Criminal Justice. The best way to sum up crime is to use the theory of Routine Activities. The idea that daily activities create the convergence in time and space of the three elements necessary for a crime to occur: motivated offenders, suitable targets, and the absence of capable guardians. The theory argues that available opportunities are an important component in the crime calculus. Choices in lifestyle on the part of potential victims may create or curtail crime opportunities for the motivated offender....we certainly have an abundance of suitable targets in Greenville (students). There is a large amount of motivated offenders. Greenville has around 190 sworn officers. ECU has around 30. I choose to believe that easy targets lead to the majority of crime. not only students. unfortunately this is near impossible to curtail, unless an officer holds every drunk students hand for the long walk back to college hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina