Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM

428 posts, read 810,259 times

Advertisements

What is the snow/ice situation in coastal NC-- how many days a year would one expect to shovel snow, drive on snowy/icy roads? I put up with six months of winter snow and ice and horrid driving and shoveling (7 feet so far this winter, which lasts Oct-May), so I am curious what I would be getting into if I moved to coastal NC? Obviously a lot less, but what about this winter (the worst)-- how many days of snow, shoveling in coastal NC?

Sunshine? I have also considered moving to Oregon, but wow there will be lots of rain there, a lot less sunshine than NC, though where I live (northern MN we have lots of cloudy days). What is the general feeling living along coastal NC as far as sunshine, sunny days versus rainy days? And as for rainy days, how serious a threat are hurricanes (never has been an issue for me living in the midwest), I mean does that mean expensive home insurance, does it mean every year I have nail plywood to my windows on a house?

Any help on these questions greatly appreciated as NC is pretty foreign to me given I live in northern MN. (4-5 feet of snow in my yard, rather sick of it, i can not live through another winter, i have had it with the midwest)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 10:35 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
What is the snow/ice situation in coastal NC-- how many days a year would one expect to shovel snow, drive on snowy/icy roads?
If you are retired, you will never have to shovel snow. This winter we had a total of two inches in Sneads Ferry. This winter was unusually bad because we had a few days with icy roads where the police warned people to stay off the roads. Previous 2 years we had none or a dusting of snow which was gone the next day.

Sunny Days? It is typical of the east coast, we get about 40 inches of precip per year. It isn't dry like Arizona. But it is not oppressively rainy like the Northwest. Currently it has been overcast and dreary for a few days, but we are looking forward to planting a garden.

Hurricanes are a reality, and your homeowners insurance will reflect that. No, you won't have to nail up your windows every year. However, we did evacuate inland one year out of the three we have been here.

BTW, there are weather charts on the main CD profiles, like here: //www.city-data.com/city/Wilmin...-Carolina.html
I also recommend buying some of the "best places to retire" books, as they give you quick ways to compare climate, COL, taxes and jobs.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:59 AM

I am indeed retired (so not going to take away any jobs from locals). how much extra of a premium does one pay for homeowner's insurance in coastal NC because of hurricanes? i have no idea, we just do not have that here in northern MN.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:11 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I am indeed retired (so not going to take away any jobs from locals). how much extra of a premium does one pay for homeowner's insurance in coastal NC because of hurricanes? i have no idea, we just do not have that here in northern MN.
Our current homewners insurance is $1900. We have a house worth around $300,000. This compares to the $800 we paid in Maryland for a house worth $400,000. Scale it for your own budget.

I believe we are in a state-run assigned risk pool for "wind and hail" insurance because of the hurricane risk. About $1100 of the 1900 is for wind and hail insurance.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 AM

Awesome information, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Our current homewners insurance is $1900. We have a house worth around $300,000. This compares to the $800 we paid in Maryland for a house worth $400,000. Scale it for your own budget. I believe we are in a state-run assigned risk pool for "wind and hail" insurance because of the hurricane risk. About $1100 of the 1900 is for wind and hail insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina