Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 02:41 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgirl103 View Post
When we look at the areas surrounding Raleigh, we are just amazed at the size homes and yards we could have! But with Wilmington, we're pretty much back to what we could get up here. So Wilmington would need to be a pretty nice place to live to make it worth the move, you know? You mentioned Southport...is that a nice place to live? I have seen it mentioned in several posts, but don't feel like I've gotten a good feel for it. Also, what are your thoughts on Leland?
With a budget of only $200k you will be limited to entry level homes in the Wilmington area. But that could be an older ranch with 3/4 acre, or a newer 2-story with 2200 square feet.

Southport is a nice, quaint town. It was featured in the Movie "Safe Haven". There are many retirees living there, but enough younger people that I think you would enjoy it. Lelend consists mostly of retirement communities and strip shopping centers.

You might also like Burgaw as a small town with character or Rocky Point or Castle Hayne where you can find houses with wooded larger lots. All of these three locations will have some decent housing under $200K, and are a short distance north of Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:44 PM

638 posts, read 993,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgirl103 View Post
Thank you guys! Goldage1, thank you for answering what I've been wondering, which is if there is anything nice between Wilmington and Raleigh. SC isn't as much of an option for us because it wouldn't work out as well for my husband's job. Apparently it's not a good state for therapists. Poppy dog, I've been trying to use Google images, but for some places, I feel like all it shows are homes. And ones that I could never afford, at that! LOL HP91 and Lover of Animals, thank you for painting a nicer picture of Wilmington. When you're doing research, you just keep hearing all the practical aspects...jobs, schools, crime, etc...and I find that it's easy to start seeing places as these sterile environments with no personality or atmosphere. And while it's important to consider all the practical aspects, I find that for me, it's the feel of the place that wins me over. And while I've been favoring Wilmington, there are a few places where it falls short for me, so in order to be able to make the necessary compromises, I have to really love the place. For example, one of the biggest reasons we are moving is that the homes we could afford up here in CT are very tiny, with almost no yard. When we look at the areas surrounding Raleigh, we are just amazed at the size homes and yards we could have! But with Wilmington, we're pretty much back to what we could get up here. So Wilmington would need to be a pretty nice place to live to make it worth the move, you know? You mentioned Southport...is that a nice place to live? I have seen it mentioned in several posts, but don't feel like I've gotten a good feel for it. Also, what are your thoughts on Leland?

Thank you all for your patience with me and all my questions! I have some real anxiety issues, so the prospect of moving in general is causing almost daily panic attacks, especially since I'll be moving to someplace where I can't keep stopping by and checking things out whenever I have questions. Getting information to continue to paint a clearer picture of these places is helping a lot though. I was just hoping that you guys would have offered me up my dream city! Lol dare to dream, right?
Naturally,the further away from the coast you go,the more home and yard you get for the money. It's like that anywhere in the country. If you're close to water,you pay more for less. Your original post said you preferred to be near the coast. Like I said,you have to decide what is most important to you and sacrifice something. Yes,Southport seems to be a nice place to live,but I wouldn't know for sure since I haven't actually lived there....only visited several times. I know someone who use to live there and moved to Wilmington because of the drive to their job. Since you are self-employed though,that shouldn't be an issue. We checked Leland out before buying and did not like it for many reasons.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:48 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
well, you asked for facts and I think you got those. As far as helping your anxiety,
nobody can do that but you.

There are lots of beautiful places in Wilmington area but there is also crime just
like anywhere else. There are also ugly sides of the area but so is there everywhere.
The best thing is to come down to check it out as many times as you can afford and then make
up your own mind.

I am not fond of Leland , not really a town but more a place along a road, Southport is very
picturesque but has its own problems with drugs etc. and in my opinion is just to small of a place with a long
drive into Wilmington for what I consider essentials to happy living.

Wilmington is bustling this time of the year with happenings all over, herb and plant sale at the
NC arboretum, food truck /art festival on Castle street , music at the most beautiful small, amphie theatre
in Greenfield Lake park which is full of some the most magnificent bald cypresses one can find. Beaches will be humming with people glad to finally see the sun, people will be out
doing all kinds of activities. Downtown and Wilmington in general has a great amount of fantastic restaurants and bars.
Keep in mind that this area of NC is flat sand lands and you won't find towering trees other than pine trees. Live oaks are plentiful and so, so beautiful and the only trees that create towering canopies.
Bottom line is that we don't know what you find beautiful or a "nice" place to live, it obviously
is all this to those of us living here.
best of luck!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:50 PM

638 posts, read 993,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
well, you asked for facts and I think you got those. As far as helping your anxiety,
nobody can do that but you.

There are lots of beautiful places in Wilmington area but there is also crime just
like anywhere else. There are also ugly sides of the area but so is there everywhere.
The best thing is to come down to check it out as many times as you can afford and then make
up your own mind.

I am not fond of Leland , not really a town but more a place along a road, Southport is very
picturesque but has its own problems with drugs etc. and in my opinion is just to small of a place with a long
drive into Wilmington for what I consider essentials to happy living.

Wilmington is bustling this time of the year with happenings all over, herb and plant sale at the
NC arboretum, food truck /art festival on Castle street , music at the most beautiful small, amphie theatre
in Greenfield Lake park which is full of some the most magnificent bald cypresses one can find. Beaches will be humming with people glad to finally see the sun, people will be out
doing all kinds of activities. Downtown and Wilmington in general has a great amount of fantastic restaurants and bars.
Keep in mind that this area of NC is flat sand lands and you won't find towering trees other than pine trees. Live oaks are plentiful and so, so beautiful and the only trees that create towering canopies.
Bottom line is that we don't know what you find beautiful or a "nice" place to live, it obviously
is all this to those of us living here.
best of luck!
Movedtothecoast.....VERY well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina