Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 9,002 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I are looking to move to NC, hopefully later this year, and after tons of research, I find that I am still at a loss when trying to find the right city for us. We are in our thirties, and like to be somewhere near where there are lots of things to do, but don't really like the whole club/bar thing. We're pretty laid back and quiet. We want to be within 6 hours of Atlanta, where my family lives. We love the coast, so we'd like to be within an hour from it, something easy to get to every weekend. We're huge nature lovers and environmentalists, and would love for a place to have a bit of a natural beauty to it. We also value being near culture, and every day conveniences. We really feel that those model home communities are not for us, and prefer, if possible, a more matured community (large trees, slightly older buildings that are nicely kept up). We're hoping to not spend more than $200k on a home, but want one in a safe, nice looking area. We are self-employed, so jobs are not a concern, and we are planning on having children, but there are other places where we can find out about school systems. I'm having a lot of trouble finding information about "beautiful" cities, other than those in the west of the state. I know I've thrown out a lot of criteria here, but the biggest priorities are being within 6 hrs from Atlanta, within an hour or so of the beach, and being in a good place for a nature lover. Thank you for any and all help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 04:35 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgirl103 View Post
I know I've thrown out a lot of criteria here, but the biggest priorities are being within 6 hrs from Atlanta, within an hour or so of the beach, and being in a good place for a nature lover.
If your criteria mean with 6 hours driving time, you are eliminating most of coastal North Carolina. About all that fits is the southern corner with Brunswick County, Columbus and Bladen County. The terrain is basically flat farmland with some pine forests and rivers for boating. I do not think it is especially interesting, but you might like White Lake or Lake Waccamaw. The drive from Wilmington might exceed 6 hours, but it has some very attractive areas. However, your budget of $200K is quite restricted for Wilmington. You might also consider towns in South Carolina like Conway which has some nature preserves or even Columbia which has lakes nearby. Or else look at Charleston, SC, but your budget won't go very far there.

If you mean flying to Atlanta, then I'd suggest towns like Cape Carteret.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-26-2014 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 04:56 AM

638 posts, read 993,752 times
Sorry,but you're dreaming. No where in North Carolina will meet all your must haves. You are going to have to compromise somewhere.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Check out Georgetown SC...just buy a house upwind from the paper plant. It's quite a charming little city.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:52 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Yeah, you'll have to compromise. You could look at the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). It meets all of your criteria for a city (except maybe price — that's really low, IMO), but it's probably a bit over 6 hrs to Atlanta and a little less than 2 hrs to the beach.

Wilmington is the only other place in NC I would consider if you have that criteria about being close to the coast.

Have you looked at a map? Do you see how much farther NC sticks out into the Atlantic than SC or GA?

Have you considered the Savannah or Charleston areas?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yeah, you'll have to compromise. You could look at the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). It meets all of your criteria for a city (except maybe price — that's really low, IMO), but it's probably a bit over 6 hrs to Atlanta and a little less than 2 hrs to the beach.
Charlotte is the other area with lots to do. It is close to the western part of the state which most people think has the most natural beauty. Charlotte is about 3.5-4 hours drive time to Atlanta and 3.5 hours to Myrtle Beach.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,317 times
Brusnwick county fits all the crieteria. It is however very rural around here I live here. I live about a mile from holden beach. There is greenswamp near 17, but that's it.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:40 AM

638 posts, read 993,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinatai View Post
Brusnwick county fits all the crieteria. It is however very rural around here I live here. I live about a mile from holden beach. There is greenswamp near 17, but that's it.
Sorry, but Brunswick county does not meet their top priority request of being six hours from Atlanta. It also does not meet their request for culture.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:35 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
I'm not sure why you want to be an hour from the coast?

Why not just go to the coast and have a little bit more drive to Atlanta when you make the trip.

If so, you can consider Southport or Wilmington in your search...as for mature neighborhoods in Wilmington where you can find under 200K...I know Pine Valley has some smaller homes that can be had for that. Lincoln Forest is another. Or the Audobon Lane area off Oleander Drive. The cross city trail is near all of these and can get you to the parks. Alderman Preserve (off Independence Blvd) has had a lot of activity lately.

There are beautiful spots in SE NC outside of the coast itself....Lake Wacammaw, White Lake, Moore's Creek National Battlefield, Orton Plantation, canoeing on the Black River.

edit...Alderman Preserve has been renamed Piney Ridge Nature Preserve...here is a good website that has a number of SE NC natural areas...

http://www.coastallandtrust.org/places-to-visit

Last edited by HP91; 03-28-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 9,002 times
Thank you guys for the feedback! I've been doing so much research and wasn't finding anything that met all my criteria, so I was planning on making compromises, but I thought I'd ask you guys and see if there was anything I was missing. I'd appreciate more thoughts on beautiful places to live in East or SE NC. I think that's a big thing for me. And we actually did drive through Georgetown SC and thought it was beautiful...until the smell hit! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina