U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 02:35 PM

98 posts, read 366,914 times

Advertisements

I am going to be graduating from college in May of 2007 with an elementary education degree. Im looking at relocating in the south to get away from this Indiana weather. I do not want to be land-locked. If anybody could please reply and tell me what coastal city you think would be a great place to look into I would greatly appreciate it! (I've looked into the Wilmington area so if anybody has anything they want to tell me about Wilmington specifically that would be great!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 13,860 times
Default Re: Coastal cities in NC?

I've lived in the Wilmington area for about 4 years now and it has definitely been a positive experience. Great beaches, historic downtown, very friendly people. Coming from me this is saying a lot seeing that I grew up and lived in Charleston, SC for 25 years (An incredible city if your interested in that area). Also in the Wilmington area are very picturesque smaller towns if you would rather live at a slower pace. Southport is particularly nice also Wrightsville Beach. Other towns along the NC coast that I have visited and was impressed were: Beaufort, Swansboro, New Bern, and Edenton (although Edenton is pretty far from anything but still very pretty) Cities to avoid: Jacksonville and Fayeteville-both towns with large military bases and pretty ugly, Myrtle Beach, SC-just saying the name almost makes me gag, stay away! Anyway all these towns are nice but if you want to live in an fairly sizeable city with a lot of amenities you can't go wrong with Wilmington. Good Luck.
Marc

Old 10-23-2006, 04:26 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. My GF lives in Charleston right now (actually Summerville) but we are trying to find our own places for now and then talk about where we want to be and then make a decision. I want to go to either NC or coastal GA. How is the cost of living in the Wilmington area...being a teacher I need to keep this in mind. Any communities that are growing rapidly? Usually a great place for a teacher to find work. Any communites that you know of that are in need of teachers? Once again I appreciate you getting back to me and anymore insight would be great!

Old 10-23-2006, 04:42 PM

787 posts, read 3,386,346 times
Wilmington in North Carolina is definitely worth looking into. Charleston, SC, Myrtle Beach, SC and back in North Carolina maybe Morehead City. Although my favorite is Wilmington, NC.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 PM

179 posts, read 657,432 times
My vote also goes for Wilmington but it is getting crowded. Maybe new schools are coming??? Another spot to look at is the New Bern area. There's a lot on the web about it, very historical as is Wilmington.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:29 PM

If new schools are coming im there! Not alot of new schools in Indiana, so all of the schools are old and outdated. I'm just looking to start over in a nice new school. Thanks all for replying to my thread! Any more thoughts would definately be appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina