Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 PM
LLN LLN started this thread

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I go people are talking about the change in plans to honor the policeman that was murdered. Of course the Sun Journal, in its utter ineptitude, is silent.

Word is the candlelight vigil was planned for the park this evening, and several aldermen INSISTED on honoring the murderous felon at the same time. So instead of telling those suggesting such a bizarre and utterly inappropriate idea to pack sand, they moved the deal to a wreath presentation at the police station. I suppose they can control that better. I dunno.

I hope this is not true, but lots of folks are talking and I would like to know what is going on in our fair city.

Should I lock and load this evening?

Damn I hate the serpent's head of race! I thought I would live to see post racial harmony, in my lifetime, but its looking bleak at this point cause I am getting old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,595,835 times
I've been wondering why the vigil was moved. I heard it mentioned earlier on 106.5 WSFL, and even saw it this morning on WRAL, so word is getting out. If the rumor you heard is true, that's a real shame...

Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Well you know what they say about rumors. Don't spread them unless you know them to be absolutely true.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Well you know what they say about rumors. Don't spread them unless you know them to be absolutely true.
Thanks for your wisdom, but, unfortunately, based on the local fish wrapper the mayor and 2 aldermen did the unthinkable and wanted to honor the sexual offending feloneous murderer of a police office at the vigil for the officer.

That much is known, Check with your local law enforcement rep to see how she or he feels.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Thanks for your wisdom, but, unfortunately, based on the local fish wrapper the mayor and 2 aldermen did the unthinkable and wanted to honor the sexual offending feloneous murderer of a police office at the vigil for the officer.

That much is known, Check with your local law enforcement rep to see how she or he feels.
Actually from what I read, he was not "honoring" the murderer. He was their for the mother and family which he had known for most of his life. Plus he had attended all vigils and the funeral of the deceased officer thus honoring him like he should.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:14 AM

Missed the point. A vigil was scheduled to honor the officer at Union Point. Two aldermen "demanded" the so called victim be honored at the same ceremony.

The threat of violence surfaced, that is what we don't know, by whom.

The city (mayor) then gave in to threats, and cancelled the ceremony, moving it to a benign wreath laying at the Police Department. The city backed down at the threat of violence.

That is the story here. I don't care what the Mayor does in regard to funerals.

The issue, and the story that will not go away is why the City was intimidated by threats of violence and who delivered those threats.

Personally, I think anyone suggesting violence at a ceremony that is assured of having MASSIVE LEO involvement is a lunatic, but that is who we are dealing with in New Bern. What members of a lunatic fringe would even consider violence at a ceremony of a fallen public servant? And how could it be deemed credible?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Missed the point. A vigil was scheduled to honor the officer at Union Point. Two aldermen "demanded" the so called victim be honored at the same ceremony.

The threat of violence surfaced, that is what we don't know, by whom.

The city (mayor) then gave in to threats, and cancelled the ceremony, moving it to a benign wreath laying at the Police Department. The city backed down at the threat of violence.

That is the story here. I don't care what the Mayor does in regard to funerals.

The issue, and the story that will not go away is why the City was intimidated by threats of violence and who delivered those threats.

Personally, I think anyone suggesting violence at a ceremony that is assured of having MASSIVE LEO involvement is a lunatic, but that is who we are dealing with in New Bern. What members of a lunatic fringe would even consider violence at a ceremony of a fallen public servant? And how could it be deemed credible?
From what I have read, the alderman invited the killers relatives to the ceremony. They did not "demand" the ceremony to include the killer. I did a search on this and only found White supremacy and far right conservative sites stating that they demanded this. All other sites said that the alderman just invited them. Was it appropriate? No it wasn't and as far as cancelling the event, it should have gone on as planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina