Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 PM

30 posts, read 46,897 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I moved from the Northeast to the Raleigh area a year ago, when he accepted a job transfer through Cisco Systems. We are in our mid 50's and have been renting a home since our arrival to NC. He is now overseeing global development teams and has been told that he can work 100% remotely. We are both coastal/beach people and enjoy boating and fishing, so we are thinking of moving permanently to the Southport area. However, I'm really nervous about doing this as we enjoy going to theatre productions, museums, outdoor festivals and fairs and sporting events. I'm afraid that if we move to the area we might feel isolated and "god forbid" bored. (Haha) I would love some input from transplants who are in our age group. I know that summers would be fantastic, but what's happening after the beach? Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 07:05 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegal View Post
My husband and I moved from the Northeast to the Raleigh area a year ago, when he accepted a job transfer through Cisco Systems. We are in our mid 50's and have been renting a home since our arrival to NC. He is now overseeing global development teams and has been told that he can work 100% remotely. We are both coastal/beach people and enjoy boating and fishing, so we are thinking of moving permanently to the Southport area. However, I'm really nervous about doing this as we enjoy going to theatre productions, museums, outdoor festivals and fairs and sporting events. I'm afraid that if we move to the area we might feel isolated and "god forbid" bored. (Haha) I would love some input from transplants who are in our age group. I know that summers would be fantastic, but what's happening after the beach?
I think you should consider a less drastic move to Wilmington. You can still be close to the water and have a lot of cultural activities in the city.

Some people can be happy with a life of nothing but golf, fishing and boating. My husband is like that, but I am currently looking for more culture in my life. After 3 years on the coast, I am bored and I long for city life.

You might try a long vacation in the winter in Southport, or a working vacation where you husband works remotely. If you start going stir-crazy in three weeks, you are not ready to move to the coast.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,860,939 times
I would suggest moving to southern New Hanover County instead of Southport. I think you will feel isolated and honestly, in the summer Southport is as busy as anywhere...but it's still further to many of the amenities in New Hanover County.

I have mentioned the Shipwatch community a few times on here...each property has dock access and half of the properties are on the water (the river). It's gated. There are numerous properties up and down the river and Intracoastal...and its likely your husband has a nice salary in that position. Southern New Hanover County is not so isolated because of Monkey Junction ot the north and Carolina Beach to the south. And its fairly easy to get downtown and to the mall area.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:44 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
For a vibrant coastal community, have you considered Charleston? If you can live anywhere maybe it's not in NC that you belong?

Old 06-19-2014, 03:09 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,311,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
For a vibrant coastal community, have you considered Charleston? If you can live anywhere maybe it's not in NC that you belong?
No kidding... 100% remotely?? Can live anywhere?? Hawaii!!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:55 AM

30 posts, read 46,897 times
Yes, 100% remote. However, he thinks it is in our best interests to remain within a reasonable drive from RTP Cisco campus, in the event he has to host international team members. We really like NC. Have been to Charleston ( love it), Hilton Head and think they are great but a bit too far. We like the Wilmington area, but not the traffic on a daily basis. I think we will be happy if we are 1/2 hour-45 min from there and can go for the "cultural" events that take place during different parts of the year. We need to spend more time in the general area and aren't in any hurry to make a decision, as our house rental will be month to month, beginning August 1st. We don't want a huge mortgage, but would rather get a smaller ( 1500-2000 sq foot) place, create a backyard oasis, and still enjoy traveling when we can. Any suggestions for nice plantations between Southport and Wilmington?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:02 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegal View Post
Any suggestions for nice plantations between Southport and Wilmington?
Magnolia Greens and Waterford of the Carolinas are the closest to the bridge into Wilmington. They are both mature and likely to have rentals. Their villa houses are smaller size. Compass Pointe is not far and is newer. Brunswick Forest is also a possibility. St James has some golf course townhouses that are frequently rented.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:15 PM

186 posts, read 331,484 times
Wilmington probably a better bet than Southport.... and Charleston SC better than both..... Wilmington and Charleston SC just more stuff to do and things to see, including arts community. In Wilmington, the ILM airport will allow easier corporate travel if husband needs to make some biz trips.... not sure what your message title "move to BC" has to do with the NC coast.... what does "BC" stand for?

Old 06-21-2014, 05:54 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,727 times
I'm thinking the B is next to the N on the keyboard.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:43 PM

158 posts, read 315,846 times
BC = Brunswick County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina