Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,423 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Calabash area. Roger is legally blind and doesn't drive. Can anyone tell me if there is county, or some other type of transportation in the area? Also, how is the hurricane situation in that area? How reasonable is the hurricane insurance? Are there any affordable communities that would be somewhat close to town, and also have a pool and places to fish? What can we expect to pay monthly in homeowner association fees? Are there a lot of alligators in the area? (We have a small dog). We're going to be retiring in a year to year and a half, and Calabash sounds beautiful. We live in NJ, which we like, but are being run out of state by high property taxes, like a lot of other people. We also want to escape the cold winter temperatures. Knowing that Calabash is on the southern coastal part of NC, we realize that it's very hot/humid in summer, but are you able to sit on a screen porch/deck without dying from the heat? Would love to hear how others who have moved from up north feel about it the area. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
I'll try to answer some of your question, although I live many miles north of Calabash.

1. There is a Brunswick Transit System with 16 vans: Brunswick Transit System

2. You can expect hurricanes every few years. The insurance naturally costs money, and it varies with the cost of your house. We pay about $1600 annually for the "wind and hail" coverage plus $800 for the contents on a house worth about $300,000.

3. You will have to define "affordable", but there is a golf course community called Carolina Shores where most homes are under $250,000, and go as low as $114,000. It is very close to the Intracoastal Waterway where you can fish with a boat.

4. I would expect HOA fees run from $80-200/month depending on what you get. One real estate listing on Cleek Court advertises that Carolina Shores is: "a golf course community with some of the lowest HOA fees in the area including a large pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, picnic area and bocci courts with no management company- ran by owners". If you want to contact Carolina Shores, here is a website: http://www.carolinashorespoa.org/

5. Naturally there are alligators, but they stay close to the water. If you expect to let the dogs out and you live near water, you should plan to have a fence.

6. You can sit out on a screened porch in the morning and evening. I consider it too hot to be outside at noon.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-22-2014 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina