Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 03:48 PM

3 posts, read 3,295 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are seriously thinking of moving to NC, near the coast, but doesn't have to be ON the coast. Once we sell our house, here in Vermont, we would like to rent for 6-12 months first before purchasing. I've been looking on some rental websites and I see that many rentals say small dogs ok. Well, problem being, is we have two lab mixes (60 lbs each). They are 12 and 6 years old...AND, two 8 year old kitties. Can anyone tell me the reality of this? We will not move without our furry kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 04:47 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Finding a rental ANYWHERE that will accept four pets, including two large dogs, is a going to be a problem.

The bigger issue revolves around Where are you going to be working?

Old 04-20-2014, 05:04 PM

Very good question. I'm a Realtor here, in VT. My husband is a kayak guide and would like to get back to that, he can also do retail. Me...Don't know if I'll stay in real estate, but I would like to check out the outdoor advertising jobs since that's what I did in NYC before moving to VT. Once we sell this house, we'll have a little cushion, and that will be nice. But right now, our biggest concern is renting with the furry kids...will eventually buy, but don't want to do that right away...also have some connections, so who knows...I moved from NYC to VT without a job in VT...and I chose not to commute to Burlington, and we've made it all work.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:48 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
I understand what you mean about "making it all work" but you will have a VERY hard time renting a place without a job. Landlords like to rent to people who are employed. The pets are a separate issue entirely.

Furthermore, the coastal area of NC is not one that has a lot of job opportunities. High unemployment, and lots of competition for jobs.

I'm not trying to be totally negative, but I think you need to be realistic. The pets are just ONE of your challenges.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:07 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times
I think you can find a rental house that will allow your animals, just not maybe through one of the big agencies...you may have to use craigslist or drive a neighborhood.

I would try to settle on an area based on some job opportunities and then figure out the rental situation. I assume you don't have kids, so you are not worried about school districts and such...so you should be fairly flexible in where you can live.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the input. My only concern right now is finding a rental, not a job.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:56 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarineA View Post
Thanks for the input. My only concern right now is finding a rental, not a job.
You might also try the MilitaryByOwner website. Many military families are dog-owners, and may be more likely to allow dogs.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,039 times
My wife and i were just having this discussion yesterday. We will be moving to either St James or Ocean Ridge Plantation sometime within the next 22 months and we may have to rent for awhile if we go the build route although i would prefer a resale. In the event we have to build we have a 70 pound White British Golden Retriever. We subscribe to the Brunswick Beacon and the Southport paper and i noticed most homes say "No Pets".

We will be retired upon the move so won't need to be near any work.

How much of a issue are we going to have and any suggestions.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
DH & I found our last rental in NC through LejeuneYardSales dotcom (not sure if I'm allowed to link it here, sorry!). Wilmington and surrounds has it's version also- WilmingtonYardSales dotcom

They are similar to Craigslist but obviously local. Just be careful on any sites such as these and Craigslist, as there are a lot of scammers about!

Good Luck!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:31 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
P.S. You can post your own ad on WilmingtonYardSales etc as well, asking if anyone has a house to rent that will allow your pets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina